Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What your actions say to your guests - everything you need to know in one place

Piggybacking off of the on point cash bar thread, I give to you the guide of what your actions of bad etiquette say to your guests.  They may not say it to your face or ever bring it up with you, but I guarantee you your relationship with them will change to some extent.  I don't think it's any coincidence that the people who treated their guests like crap at their wedding are usually the ones that complain they don't have any friends a few years down the road.

Remember perception is reality.  I have said it before and I will say it again - you ALWAYS have the option to do the right thing.  It may take some tough decisions and sacrifice but will always serve you and your guests best in the long run.

Invitation to shower but not the wedding - "you are not good enough for me to host you on my special day, but I really want to celebrate my marriage with you so I will have someone else host you on their dime.  But since this is a gift giving event I do expect a gift.  In fact, go ahead and spring for a REALLY nice one considering this is the only wedding related event you are invited to."

Invitation to ceremony but not reception - "you are good enough to watch me get married but not good enough to host you at the reception so I will give you the "honor" of coming to the ceremony since it costs pretty much nothing for me to host you there.  But I am expecting a gift so remember to bring it with you to the ceremony."

Invitation to the reception but not ceremony - "you are not good enough to watch me get married but I guess you are good enough to come to the reception.  Don't forget your gift and it better be nice because I am actually spending money to host you there."

Invitation to a tiered reception - "you are not good enough to watch me get married OR for me to host you at the reception, but good enough to come towards the end so I don't actually have to include you in the head count.  If you are lucky you can get a piece of stale cake.  But don't forget your gift because technically  you were invited to at least part of the wedding."

Gap between ceremony and reception - "our ceremony site had to be booked early but we want all the trimmings of an evening reception so find something to do for a few hours.  Sorry we didn't have the foresight to think that some of our guests would need to pay for a few extra hours for a babysitter, go home and let their pets out, or just find some way to kill time in dressy clothes in the middle of the afternoon.  But it's our day and we will do what we want."

Cash bar - "we either a) over invited, b) didn't budget correctly, c) don't want to make cuts in other areas or d) all of the above.  But since we are such gracious hosts we will give our guests the option of drinking because dry weddings are so boring!  And since we won't be footing the bill, no well drinks here.  Top shelf for all!  Hope you brought your wallets!"

Honeymoon registries, honeymoon jars, dollar dances, etc. - "give us money.  Lots of it.  On top of what you have already spent to get to the wedding and the gift.  And we will soften the blow by asking for it in a "cutesy" poem."

I'm sure there are more just thought I would throw a few out for entertainment.  I really like this board, never used The Knot when I got married 7 years ago but was ran off from The Bump by some crazies.  Hope you will let me stay.  :)

Re: What your actions say to your guests - everything you need to know in one place

• Options

Nice. Hope we can sticky this.

Here's some more:

No meal served at a reception during a meal time: Our poor planning and budgeting means that you get to starve. Not happy with the cheese and cracker platter with a side of Chex party mix for dinner? Too bad.

No reception at all. Not even cake and punch: We're too busy to be bothered with interacting with and thanking our guests. We think it's a honor that you even got invited to the ceremony. Why would we waste our money giving you free food and entertainment? Please leave you gift on the gift table. Buh-bye now.

Pay for your own meal at the reception or rehearsal dinner: What do you think we are? Made of money? Sure, you travelled to our wedding and took off from work, but why would we feed you on our dime? Don't you know we have bills to pay?

• Options
    @itzMS very nice!  I had a toddler pulling on my arm while I was trying to type and totally forgot about no food or drink.  Or potlucks.  Keep them coming!!
  • Options
    I would like to make an addition to "Gap between ceremony and reception:"

"It was more important for us to have time to go off somewhere special to us / that has a pretty view / etc. to take lots and lots of pictures than it was for our guests to be able to head straight in to cocktail hour."

While this does does apply to all gaps, it does apply to many I have seen brides post about on here.
  • Options
    Someone told me they went to a wedding that was real black tie, but the ceremony was at noon and the reception didn't start until 7pm! So obviously people weren't wearing their black tie attire to the noon ceremony. That is absolutely ridiculous.

• Options
    You gals have the best advice, this is one of the best resources!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    And there should be something about a PPD up there too, because those are always the best to read.  No matter how many times everyone tells them it's awful they can always find a reason that they should get their fake/redo/im a pretty princess day.
  • Options

There should be a caveat on the reception no ceremony one though.

It is perfectly acceptable to have a truly private ceremony with a larger reception to follow.  Private meaning family only (parents, siblings/SOs, nieces/nephews, grandparents), less than 15 people with maybe an MOH/BM.

• Options

Got another one, those this is more about bridesmaids than guests.

Giving your attendants their day of jewelry/accessories as their thank you gift: "I know you've spent lots of time and money on my wedding. Which is exactly what I expected of you. Here's some beautiful jewelry/shoes/professional hair & makeup/soft silky robes/matching hoodies as my thank you gift. The catch is you have to wear it during my wedding because you must look exactly like I want you too for my wedding. That's thank you enough."

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options

Oh I'm on a roll!

Assigning guests honor positions: "You can man the guestbook table/gift table/pass out programs. You were an afterthought so giving you such a crap job should make you feel special enough. Even though you weren't good enough for an actual honor position."

• Options
    A few more:

Potlucks:  "they say to host your wedding guests as you would in your own home.  Well the parties we throw are potlucks and BYOB so why should the wedding be any different?  And if you weren't one of the lucky ones who got invited to our wedding you would probably sit at home and cook dinner anyways so what's the hassle?  Don't forget your gift along with your covered dish."

Destination weddings:  (not all but some of the ones I have been to) "why get married in your boring home town when you can get married in paradise?  I know you have been looking for something to do with your few precious vacation days so why not spend it with us?  We will pick the most expensive resort on the island, but for you poor people we will also find a beach house so you can bunk up with complete strangers (with you paying for it, of course we don't have that type of money).  And by the end of the week you will all be BFFs!"

Dress code stated when not necessary:  "there are a few of our guests that we know will show up to the wedding dressed like derelicts, so instead of addressing it with them privately we will patronize you all and remind you how to dress for a wedding just in case you don't know either.  Hope you aren't too offended when we do something "cutesy" like have the bridal party wear flip flops.  Because hey, we want to be comfy.  It's a long day for us, especially with that gap."

Black tie optional when nothing about the wedding is black tie:  Same as above, plus "we want to give our wedding a black tie look without the black tie price tag.  Especially when we carefully edit our photos to upload on Facebook to show the underlings who didn't make the cut what a swanky affair it was.  So please go ahead and rent a tux and buy a floor length gown you will probably never wear again.  But don't let it affect your budget for that gift, because we said it's black tie OPTIONAL.  It's not like we are holding a gun to your head."

Disproportionate dress vs. everything else budget:  "Yes, I know that my dress is worth more than my car.  But I deserve my unflattering Pnina Tournai dress because it's my day and I want to look beautiful!  Sorry I didn't make cuts in this area to properly host you with things like food and chairs, but darn it I look hot!"
  • Options
    acove2006 said:

Got another one, those this is more about bridesmaids than guests.

Giving your attendants their day of jewelry/accessories as their thank you gift: "I know you've spent lots of time and money on my wedding. Which is exactly what I expected of you. Here's some beautiful jewelry/shoes/professional hair & makeup/soft silky robes/matching hoodies as my thank you gift. The catch is you have to wear it during my wedding because you must look exactly like I want you too for my wedding. That's thank you enough."

There should just be a whole separate thread for "Proper Etiquette to Your Party," covering seating at the head table, gifts, made-up jobs, etc.
  • Options
    I have one: Start the ceremony at the time specified on your invitation.  Don't keep your guests waiting for you.
  • Options
    Another: Know your weather/climate:
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding if your guests will be cold.ff
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding if the ground is muddy/unstable and your guests risk falling or staining their dressy clothing.
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding without a backup plan in case of inclement weather.
    -The backup plan CANNOT be giving the guests umbrellas so they can suck it up.
    -Don't assemble your guests for a grand exit if it's so cold their toes will be numb by the time you're out of the church.

• Options
    No jen. You killed it.
  • Options
    No jen. You killed it.
    ???
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Another: Know your weather/climate:
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding if your guests will be cold.ff
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding if the ground is muddy/unstable and your guests risk falling or staining their dressy clothing.
    -Don't have an outdoor wedding without a backup plan in case of inclement weather.
    -The backup plan CANNOT be giving the guests umbrellas so they can suck it up.
    -Don't assemble your guests for a grand exit if it's so cold their toes will be numb by the time you're out of the church.

Also! in hosting a surprise party! dont make your guests wait outside for 40 minutes for the guests of honor to arrive!! - This happened to me on Sunday night...there was a pissed off Smalfrie...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    GypsyWife_GypsyWife_ member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    Jen4948 said:

I have one: Start the ceremony at the time specified on your invitation.  Don't keep your guests waiting for you.

Being late to your ceremony: " I don't care if you're waiting, its my day and I'll do what I want" "its about me."
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Writing their own addresses on envelopes for thank yous: "You spent your time, energy and resources to come to my wedding and give me a gift. However, I am clearly a speshul buzy bride who can't be bothered with petty things like addressing envelopes. Address your own, slave! And you best be grateful when it arrives in your own handwriting in a few months. Be gone!" 
  • Options
    Hosting your own pre wedding event:  "a)  none of you bitches stepped up to host my shower or bachelorette so I will just do it myself!  Having these events is a right and an entitlement.  Don't you know that?  b)  one of you bitches did offer to host something but your budget is far too small for my extravagant taste.  So I will just do it myself!  You better get a nice gift for me since you don't have any hosting expenses to deal with.  See my registry at Agent Provocateur for gift ideas.  c)  all of the above."
  • Options
    A lot of these I agree with, but if none of my bridesmaids were to throw me a shower would it be so horrible to throw my own?  I mean shouldn't every woman get to have one shower in their life.  I would feel very unloved if no one threw me a shower, and yes it is technically in poor taste but I think that my fiance would organize something like this for me at our house.  
  • Options
    CheleLynCheleLyn member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    itzMS said:

Nice. Hope we can sticky this.

Here's some more:

No meal served at a reception during a meal time: Our poor planning and budgeting means that you get to starve. Not happy with the cheese and cracker platter with a side of Chex party mix for dinner? Too bad.

No reception at all. Not even cake and punch: We're too busy to be bothered with interacting with and thanking our guests. We think it's a honor that you even got invited to the ceremony. Why would we waste our money giving you free food and entertainment? Please leave you gift on the gift table. Buh-bye now.

Pay for your own meal at the reception or rehearsal dinner: What do you think we are? Made of money? Sure, you travelled to our wedding and took off from work, but why would we feed you on our dime? Don't you know we have bills to pay?

OMG! So when my ex-husband's oldest daughter got married, she had a nice ceremony in her childhood church.., bridal party, gown, bouquets, etc. Everything was completely her style and lovely. She said she and her FI were paying for everything and they didn't want help from any of the family, however I paid for her dress since the shop was in my town and she lived a few hours away. We were informed that the reception would be at a specific restaurant bc her church is super conservative and since she wanted alcohol and dancing she wouldn't be able to use the space available at the church.

Anyway, we go to the restaurant only to find out that we had to buy our own drinks (except the ONE glass of toasting champing) AND buy our own meal!

Some of you may remember when I mentioned the story of the ex-stepdaughter that secretly got married after her FI finished AIT...only we didn't find out about it until months later that we had participated in a PPD. Well, these two gals are sisters!

Edited bc my mind was working faster than my fingers could type!

~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    MGP said:
    Jen4948 said:
    scowie15 said:
    A lot of these I agree with, but if none of my bridesmaids were to throw me a shower would it be so horrible to throw my own?  I mean shouldn't every woman get to have one shower in their life.  I would feel very unloved if no one threw me a shower, and yes it is technically in poor taste but I think that my fiance would organize something like this for me at our house.  
    Nobody is entitled to a shower, so no, every woman shouldn't get to have one shower in their life.

If nobody chooses to throw you a shower, unfortunately, that's your bad luck.  And fiances are not supposed to organize showers for their spouses-to-be, and no shower should take place at the home of the bride because she is presumed to be hosting under those conditions.

Showers are a gift to the bride, not a party she throws for herself, because a polite person does not solicit gifts from others.  (PS-the reason a gift registry passes etiquette muster-and there are many instances in which it doesn't-is because the couple isn't actually asking for gifts, but indicating their preferences should someone choose to give them one.)  Gifts are optional-even for weddings.  You have no right to expect anyone to give you gifts at all.
    All of this.

And PS - for future reference it's also a major faux pas to host your own baby shower.  Additionally it's generally frowned upon to have showers for 2nd, 3rd, etc. children.  You get ONE welcome into motherhood, that's it.

As long as you're not hosting your own what's the big deal? While I know a shower is technically meant to shower the guest of honor with gifts, it's also meant to celebrate the new life that's entering the world. Plus, the guest of honor is different each time technically. I really didn't want a shower when I was pregnant with my 2nd (almost exactly 3 years apart and both boys) but my FMIL really really really wanted to throw me a surprise shower (her words, as my FI told me. He told me since he knows I'm not big on surprises). As far as she knows, it really was a surprise. I couldn't control that. It's not like I was going to turn around and leave saying "This is against etiquette. I cannot be here for such blasphemy!"

I'll admit I don't know the true etiquette, but how is this much different than having multiple wedding showers, or a shower for a 2nd marriage, etc?

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    scowie15 said:
    Nobody is entitled to a shower, so no, every woman shouldn't get to have one shower in their life.

If nobody chooses to throw you a shower, unfortunately, that's your bad luck.  And fiances are not supposed to organize showers for their spouses-to-be, and no shower should take place at the home of the bride because she is presumed to be hosting under those conditions.

Showers are a gift to the bride, not a party she throws for herself, because a polite person does not solicit gifts from others.  (PS-the reason a gift registry passes etiquette muster-and there are many instances in which it doesn't-is because the couple isn't actually asking for gifts, but indicating their preferences should someone choose to give them one.)  Gifts are optional-even for weddings.  You have no right to expect anyone to give you gifts at all.
    The occasion is "Getting Married". Which happens- at the wedding and reception. If no one throws you a shower when you wanted one (I for one, don't and hope nobody does throw one), then that does suck and I'm sorry. But, you'll get gifts! At the wedding itself, or sent through the mail for example. 
    Personally, if I'm already attending a wedding, I hate giving up my Sunday afternoon (and it's always a fabulous summer day when I should be out doing something way more fun) to sit around and watch someone open presents and make small talk with women I barely know and will never see again after the wedding. Like I said, the occasion is "Getting Married"- I want to go to your wedding, not your shower, sorry. 

Also, if you're choosing to have a baby, I'm sure you'll get a shower then! The occasion is "having a baby" but unlike a wedding, there's no actual party for that except the shower. 

• Options
    acove2006 said:
    MGP said:
    Jen4948 said:
    scowie15 said:

All of this.

And PS - for future reference it's also a major faux pas to host your own baby shower.  Additionally it's generally frowned upon to have showers for 2nd, 3rd, etc. children.  You get ONE welcome into motherhood, that's it.

As long as you're not hosting your own what's the big deal? While I know a shower is technically meant to shower the guest of honor with gifts, it's also meant to celebrate the new life that's entering the world. Plus, the guest of honor is different each time technically. I really didn't want a shower when I was pregnant with my 2nd (almost exactly 3 years apart and both boys) but my FMIL really really really wanted to throw me a surprise shower (her words, as my FI told me. He told me since he knows I'm not big on surprises). As far as she knows, it really was a surprise. I couldn't control that. It's not like I was going to turn around and leave saying "This is against etiquette. I cannot be here for such blasphemy!"

I'll admit I don't know the true etiquette, but how is this much different than having multiple wedding showers, or a shower for a 2nd marriage, etc?

The guest of honor is the mother to be, not the unborn child.

The reason Baby Showers after the 1st child are seen as a faux pas or rude is because they come across as totally gift grabby. . . I mean, if you already have a child, shouldn't you already have all of the stuff that you need for a child (crib, carseat, stroller, baby bjorns, rocking chair, toys, etc) with the exception of clothes if the 2ns child is a different gender?

You can't really equate 2nd and 3rd baby showers to multiple wedding showers; multiple bridal showers can be thrown by different people for a single wedding event.  So you could have different people throw you multiple baby showers, but all for your 1st child, kwim?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards