Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding Vow Writing Help

My fiancé and I decided that we wanted to write our own vows, and I know that I've got 9 months til then, but I'm so worried that if I don't start thinking about it now it will be too late and I'll just have to pull something out of thin air. Does anyone have any tips for writing your own vows? Subjects you should include/stay away from? Anything? HELP!

Re: Wedding Vow Writing Help

• maryemoo said:
    My fiancé and I decided that we wanted to write our own vows, and I know that I've got 9 months til then, but I'm so worried that if I don't start thinking about it now it will be too late and I'll just have to pull something out of thin air. Does anyone have any tips for writing your own vows? Subjects you should include/stay away from? Anything? HELP!
    I think the main thing is to make your vows actual vows. It sounds obvious but too many people just talk about stuff (their beautiful eyes, how long they've known they loved each other, inside jokes, etc., etc.). That's the best advice I've seen here anyway.

Anniversary

• Another option that we ended up going with was just piecing together vows from different sources.  We originally wanted to write our own, but were worried about them being similar enough, and about them actually being vows, not love letters.  We found a few bits and pieces we really liked, added things that were important to us, then tried them out loud and cut out unneccessary parts.  It also took a little stress off, knowing that we will repeat after the pastor.  Good luck!
  • Another option that we ended up going with was just piecing together vows from different sources.  We originally wanted to write our own, but were worried about them being similar enough, and about them actually being vows, not love letters.  We found a few bits and pieces we really liked, added things that were important to us, then tried them out loud and cut out unneccessary parts.  It also took a little stress off, knowing that we will repeat after the pastor.  Good luck!
    This is pretty much what we are doing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    This is pretty much what we are doing!

Us too. Our officiant gave us a workbook of vows and we sat down and picked different parts from different pages and turned them into a cohesive ceremony. I don't know what I would have done without it. FI and I have been together or 7 years and I love to write, but the idea of writing vows has always scared the shit out of me.

Anniversary

• Do you know if the workbook is available online, or any online resources that would be similar? We're having a close friend who is ordained officiate, so we probably won't have access to something like that.

• maryemoo said:

Do you know if the workbook is available online, or any online resources that would be similar? We're having a close friend who is ordained officiate, so we probably won't have access to something like that.

You can just google some sample vows. Try searching a bunch of different variations. Romantic vows, traditional vows, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards