Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Your guest list-all you need to know in one place

Jen4948Jen4948 member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited September 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
1.  Your guests are people you are inviting to share a very special occasion in your life-perhaps the most special of all.  You are asking for the honor of their presence (if your ceremony is at a house of worship) or the pleasure of their company (if your ceremony is taking place elsewhere).  Thus, any "It's our day, to heck with what the guests want; if they can't cope then it's their problem" attitude has no place in your wedding planning.

2.  Your guest list should be confined to human beings only.  Dogs and any other animals need to stay at home (service animals excepted).  In the case of service animals, they need to be firmly under control and not allowed to get loose under any circumstances.  Your other guests need to leave them alone.

3.  Spouses, fiance/es, couples living together, and SOs all need to be invited as couples to the ceremony, reception, and any pre- or post-wedding celebrations. Exceptions are parties such as showers or bachelor/ette parties for one sex only.  Just as you are celebrating the formation of you and your fiance/e as a new couple at your wedding, you need to be respectful of their relationships and invite them together-even if you don't know or like one of them.  The only exception is if one of them has threatened the lives or safety of anyone at the wedding.  Each partner should be listed by name on the invitation, not as "and guest."

4.  You need to budget properly for everyone attending.  That means no tiered hospitality (some of the guests are invited for the entire reception while others are offered lower quality or less hospitality).  It also means no cash bars in any shape or form and no closing the bar for a portion of the event to save yourselves money.  See grumbledore's wonderful sticky about this: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/995381/cash-bars-everything-you-need-to-know-in-one-place/p1

5.  Anyone invited to a pre- or post-wedding event (at-home reception, shower, bachelor/ette party, rehearsal dinner, engagement party, or any other kind of wedding-related event) must also be invited to the wedding itself.  Provided they have been invited to the wedding, it is okay for them to attend the pre- or post-wedding event if they have declined the wedding invitation.  Exceptions include private/destination wedding at-home receptions, showers and events given by religious congregations, co-workers, or clubs or other groups, as well as occasions held months after the event, but such occasions should be clearly designated "non-wedding-related." 

6.  Address your invitations only to those whom you are inviting to the wedding.  If you are not inviting children, dates for single guests, or anyone else, leave their names off the invitation envelopes.  If you are using inner envelopes, the names of everyone invited go on the inner envelope; otherwise, they go on the outer envelope that contains the invitation and any inserts.  "Adults only" type-messages are rude. 

7.  If you are giving single guests the option to bring a guest of their choice, do your best to get the name of the persons they intend to bring.  "And guest" should not be used unless you have made unsuccessful attempts to find out the name of a person a single guest intends to bring.  You are not required to offer single guests dates, but it is a kindness.  Who comes as a date is strictly up to the guest invited by name; you do not have any say in that.

8.  If you send save-the-dates to anyone, you must follow up with a wedding invitation.  If you send them to a couple who has broken up before the invitations have gone out, you are not required to invite the one you are not as close to.  No other exceptions.

9.  Unfortunately, you will need to contact any guests who have not responded by a reasonable RSVP date (about 2-3 weeks before your wedding; don't contact them before this date) to follow up with them and find out if they are attending.  If someone who has not RSVPd shows up at your wedding, and you choose to host them (which is optional) you do have to be prepared to host them the same way you host guests who did RSVP in a timely manner; not to do so is rude.  You are entitled, however, to tell such persons that they cannot be accommodated if they do show up.

10.  This advice is being given with the intention of being helpful to its readers in avoiding unintended rudeness to your guests.  While the etiquette police are not going to arrest you if you choose not to follow it, you will look bad and risk being side-eyed and losing important people in your life if you do not.  It's ultimately up to you.

Re: Your guest list-all you need to know in one place

• Options
    I have a question about post-wedding events...  My FMIL is hosting a tea party several months after the wedding as a "get to know my new daughter-in-law" event.  Would this fall under the category of all guests of the tea party should have been invited to the wedding? 
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options

Just wanted to add to #9.

Do not contact them until after the RSVP date has passed. You have that date for a reason.  Assume that the people you invited are adults and know how to reply by that time frame.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    I think so...it seems to me that wedding-related events are not the time to introduce the couple to "persons parents/ILs want them to meet" when those persons aren't invited to the wedding.

If she hosted the tea party without the "get to know my new daughter-in-law" element, it could still work and she could still make the introductions-I'd just leave off the theme of "new daughter-in-law."
  • Options
    The tea party was after the wedding. I don't see that as a problem - presumably the guest list was set well before the tea party was planned, IMO.
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    I have a question about post-wedding events...  My FMIL is hosting a tea party several months after the wedding as a "get to know my new daughter-in-law" event.  Would this fall under the category of all guests of the tea party should have been invited to the wedding? 
    I don't think so, if it is just a meeting/getting to know the in-laws, etc. and is not specifically wedding related.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013

There are exceptions to #8...

--If a couple breaks up after you send the STD to both by name, you do not need to invite both of the ex-couple. You may still invite both, but it is okay to extend the invitation to only the party you are closer to.

--If someone becomes in trouble with the law or incarcerated after you send STDs, you do not need to extend an invite him or her.

--If someone inappropriately makes romantic moves on you or your FI (or any other serious defimation that is friendship ending) after you send out STDs, you do not need to invite that person.

• Options
    The tea party was after the wedding. I don't see that as a problem - presumably the guest list was set well before the tea party was planned, IMO.
    I think the important thing is just to make very clear that the tea party is not a "wedding-related" party.  That could set up in the minds of guests at the tea party that they should have been invited to the wedding.  If it's done in a way that indicates that this is a completely separate event from the wedding, it can pass etiquette muster.
  • Options
    Exception to #5 above: Co-worker shower. 

It happens (as it did for me) that, in certain office environments, a boss or co-worker will throw a work shower for the bride. This is the one exception, and usually these people know that they are not invited to the wedding as well. 
  • Options
    Exception to #5 above: Co-worker shower. 

It happens (as it did for me) that, in certain office environments, a boss or co-worker will throw a work shower for the bride. This is the one exception, and usually these people know that they are not invited to the wedding as well. 

Also, church showers.  But this does not mean you can get away with inviting the ladies from church to a shower your bridesmaids are throwing.  It's only applicable if the ladies from church want to throw you their own shower and only invite other ladies from church.
  • Options
    I do not understand how anything taking place months after the wedding could be considered a wedding-related event.
    Depends on how it's billed.  There are people who try to have delayed "wedding" receptions several months later because for some reason they felt they couldn't have one right after the wedding.  The point is, it seems that if you're going to call something "wedding-related," then it should be limited to people invited to the wedding, subject to some exceptions like work showers or group showers.
  • Options

9.  Unfortunately, you will need to contact any guests who have not responded by a reasonable RSVP date (about 2-3 weeks before your wedding) to follow up with them and find out if they are attending.  If someone who has not RSVPd shows up at your wedding, you do have to be prepared to host them the same way you host guests who did RSVP in a timely manner; not to do so is rude.

I apologize, but I disagree with this, if someone has NOT RSVP'd and you have made an attempt to contact them and they have refused to respond/reply, you do NOT have to host them if they show up.
    Anniversary
  • Options

9.  Unfortunately, you will need to contact any guests who have not responded by a reasonable RSVP date (about 2-3 weeks before your wedding) to follow up with them and find out if they are attending.  If someone who has not RSVPd shows up at your wedding, you do have to be prepared to host them the same way you host guests who did RSVP in a timely manner; not to do so is rude.

I apologize, but I disagree with this, if someone has NOT RSVP'd and you have made an attempt to contact them and they have refused to respond/reply, you do NOT have to host them if they show up.
    Actually, I agree with you about that; I didn't word this well.  I simply meant that if you choose to host them (which is optional) if they show up without RSVPing, you have to be polite and host them the same way you would host the other guests.  But it isn't required to host them at all if that happens; you can say, "We never heard from you and assumed you weren't coming; we aren't prepared to host you."  I think it's actually better, when trying to get in touch with them after the RSVP deadline, to let them know that you will consider them a no if they don't get back to you by X time.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to edit the OP for some of the comments you all have suggested.  Thanks!
  • Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    Jen4948 said:
    I do not understand how anything taking place months after the wedding could be considered a wedding-related event.
    Depends on how it's billed.  There are people who try to have delayed "wedding" receptions several months later because for some reason they felt they couldn't have one right after the wedding.  The point is, it seems that if you're going to call something "wedding-related," then it should be limited to people invited to the wedding, subject to some exceptions like work showers or group showers.
    It's technically not poor etiquette to invite more people to the reception than the ceremony. You can have a private ceremony (local or not) somewhere and then have a reception back home at a later date.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ashleyep said:
    Jen4948 said:
    It's technically not poor etiquette to invite more people to the reception than the ceremony. You can have a private ceremony (local or not) somewhere and then have a reception back home at a later date.
    True.  But this relates specifically to things like showers as opposed to at-home receptions or celebrations like that.
  • Options
    @Jen4948

I would recommend editing that section. Your post specifically mentions at home receptions:

"Anyone invited to a pre- or post-wedding event (at-home reception, shower, bachelor/ette party, rehearsal dinner, engagement party, or any other kind of wedding-related event) must also be invited to the wedding itself. "
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I did modify it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards