Wedding Etiquette Forum

performing the ceremony

Hi there
I have a dilemma and am hoping someone can clarify.
My husband and I are finally planning our formal wedding; and would like our very good friend to perform the ceremony (we went to New York's city hall and got married a few months ago)
Since we're already legally married does our friend still have to get ordained?
be well!

Re: performing the ceremony

• Congratulations on being married! Since you've made the decision to get married at city hall, you can't have another ceremony. What you can do, however, is throw a really cool party for your friends and family to celebrate your marriage - but this is not a reception. Go ahead and have good food, dancing, a DJ, whatever else you would have done, but don't cut a cake or have any spotlight dances. Essentially, no trappings of a wedding - no bridal party, no showers, no bachelorette party, etc.
  • To answer your question, no, the friend doesn't have to be ordained.  Why? Because you're already legally married. There will be nothing legal about this new one.  The ordination is only to make it legal.  Why are you having a "formal ceremony" now?  Just have a big party celebrating your marriage.
  • Hi there
    My husband and I are finally planning our formal wedding; and would like our very good friend to perform the ceremony (we went to New York's city hall and got married a few months ago)
    be well!

WTF regs.

Anniversary

• Agree with previous poster.  You will already be married so there is not point for your friend to get ordained because he won't be performing a wedding ceremony, he will be performing a vow renewal.

Why not just have a big celebratory party and skip the fake ceremony?

• @dreamergirl8812, quoting's an extra mouse click - I'm far too lazy for that!
  • This has to be mud. There is no way someone on TK still doesn't know that this is wrong.
  • MS, where can I get sparkly unicorn font?!?!  

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Hi there
    be well!
    Hi atthepalms - congratulations on your marriage!!! Since you're already married, you can't have another wedding unless you get divorced first (your wedding was at City Hall). BUT you can definitely throw an awesome party and invite your friend and. Hire a caterer, have a fancy dinner, open the bar, buy a kick ass party dress, hire a DJ, etc. But since you're already married there aren't any ceremonies, "first" dances, introductions, cake cutting - you get the idea.

The thing is that any ceremony you do will be fake (since you're a wife - not a bride and your husband is not a groom) and it's super rude/offensive to put on a fake ceremony.
    *********************************************************************************

• AddieL73 said:
    MS, where can I get sparkly unicorn font?!?!  

Lisa Frank dot com

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• AddieL73 said:
    MS, where can I get sparkly unicorn font?!?!  

Lisa Frank dot com

It might cost you a $60,000 canary yellow diamond ring to get it though. It's only for us rich peeeepz.

;-)

I will hopefully locate a speshul snoflake font for cheaper.

• itzMS said:

Please do. I have no money left. I spent it all on rhinestoned hoodies for my 19-member houseparty b/c I wanted them to feel included. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    itzMS said:

Please do. I have no money left. I spent it all on rhinestoned hoodies for my 19-member houseparty b/c I wanted them to feel included. 
    Hoodies?  You so tacky, girl!  I am giving everyone matching strassed Victoria's Secret Bombshell bras.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• agreed!
    thank you! it all makes sense.
    i will have a great celebratory gathering to renew my vows!
    no ordination necessary!

• edited September 2013
    agreed!
    thank you! it all makes sense.
    i will have a great celebratory gathering to renew my vows!
    no ordination necessary!

ETA: ^^That's not sarcastic.

Anniversary

• Now why didn't I think of that, PGL?!?!    
  • Hi there
    My husband and I are finally planning our formal wedding; and would like ourgood friend to perform the ceremony (we went to New York's city hall and got married a few months ago)
    be well!

No. No. No. No. You're already married. You shouldn't be having a fake wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards