Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Show me your bridesmaid dresses!

I am struggling to pick bridesmaid dresses like you wouldn't believe, so I thought it might be helpful for me and fun for all to post pics of your bridesmaid dresses!

And here is what I'm considering so far...welcome your opinions!

This is JCrew's chiffon collection.  All of the girls like these, but there is very much a lack of support.  The fabric is tissue thin and there is hardly any boning, which for example, was making the top turn over on the strapless dress I ordered, especially on the larger chested girls.  So basically I'm worried about these looking cheap or ill fitting.

LOVE this Jim Hjelm 5907. The back dips down too. But, I am the only one who tried this on so far, and I am smaller chested. I'm worried that this will not look so good on the larger chested girls.

JH5866- I was thinking I would pick this dress until I sent it to the girls with some other options, and no one said they liked this one. I thought the modified sweetheart and detachable straps would make it flattering for all, but the Jim Hjelm line is kind of $$ and I don't want to make my girls buy it if they don't like it.

Jim Hjelm 5020. This one is tulle and it is black over gray. I tried it on in black over black.  I think it is much more flattering when the overlay matches the underneath, but they don't have all the lining colors in tulle, so not sure. The cheapest option out of all the Jim Hjelms that I like.

Re: Show me your bridesmaid dresses!

• Options
    CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    I like all of the options but its good that you are keeping in mind the body shapes of your girls. I voted for the last one because I think the sweetheart neck looks good on most women but I really like #2 also. That one might be better than strapless if any of your BMs have a big chest.

I decided to go with Bill Levkoff chiffon cocktail length dresses. I gave them all the option to pick whichever styles they like, as long as it didn't have flowers or anything too frilly. I expected most to get strapless but only 2 out of 6 ended up with strapless! They all really seemed to like picking their own style, whatever they liked on their body and felt comfortable in. I'm attaching a few of the dresses

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Caitlin- Thanks for sharing your opinion!  I really like the BIll Levkoff's you attached and I think the girls would also like picking their styles, esp. given that most of the Bill Levkoff's I've seen are reasonably priced. I've been debating these dresses as well.  However, they don't have a green shade I like.  But I've been thinking that these dresses would work if I switched from green to the pink color in your pictures, and FI keeps saying he likes light pink BM dresses.  I'm thinking that's the color you choose?  Do you know what you are doing for flowers yet?
  • Options
    No problem, im glad to help! That is our color in the photos, It's called "petal pink" and it's a lot prettier in person! My BMs ordered theirs from MB Bride, they had a ton of styles for them to try on there. I think they are $180ish which was a better price than the Watters and Wtoo styles I liked initially. Since I got my gown there, the girls got 10% off too. For flowers I'm going to have just pink and white hydrangeas for my BMs, with dusty miller mixed in. I want it to be very soft colors and the girls will have mostly white flowers while mine are mostly light pink. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like them all! 5907 is my fave but agree with your concerns regarding possible bust issues. I don't want any cleavage for me or my girls!
    I am voting for the J Crew line because they have more varieties of tops so the girls with bigger chests can select a different style top. And you said the girls definitely liked these ones.

I haven't narrowed mine down to a reasonable amount yet, haha or else I would post them! I was considering having each girl wear a different color green, but I'm not sure. I'm going to have to wait to see them in person.

Let us know what you decide!
  • Options
    I'm a bridesmaid in one of my friends weddings next year and she had originally wanted the Arabelle from J Crew.  We went to try it on, and I wasn't the BIGGEST fan of the fabric or the construction (I work in Technical Design, so it's my job to tell factories how to construct garments.  So it was pretty easy to see it wasn't the best of the best).  That being said, we also tried on the Heidi dress at J Crew, which is almost the same dress but with straps, and it looked GREAT.  Two of us went to try them on (different body types) and it looked great on both of us.  The bride ended up deciding we could choose between the two of them.  So I'm not sure if the Arabelle is the strapless one you were thinking of (because that top was also rolling out on both of us) but if so, you should check out the Heidi dress.  I was honestly thrilled that we chose it and can't wait to wear it again after her wedding -- When have you EVER heard someone say that!?!?! 

Also FYI, the Heidi costs $250 (more than I'd like to spend on a short dress, BUT) we are getting a group discount so it will cost $230.  Could definitely be worse, and like I said I actually loved the dress and it was flattering on everyone.  So maybe worth checking out. 

Hope that helped!! ...PS I like the last one best out of the JH ones, but would also be weary about color combos if you said they don't have every combo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards