Wedding Party
Options

Brother in WP but not Sister?

Grabows14Grabows14 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Wedding Party
Ok, so I love my little brother to death. He is awesome and I can talk to him about everything, so of course I want him in the wedding as my Man-of-honor (MOH) 
The only problem is I brought this up to my parents yesterday and my mom had a WTH reaction. My dad said it was a good move, and was sure my brother would be appreciative of this. 

Now, I am like 95% sure that I want him as my man of honor, the only thing I feel bad about is my sister. I do not want her in the WP because she can be very dramatic. Example: I was engaged previously and she was upset that I had her "only" as a bridesmaid, and not MOH. Then proceeded to tell me that she wouldn't help at all with the wedding because she wasn't MOH (not that I was expecting her to help anyway, but to say it like that hurt my feelings). 

So my mom's issue is that I would be creating drama by A) having my brother as MOH and B) not having sister in at all. 

I would love some reaffirmation from people that what I am doing is ok, and also if anyone was in similar situations if they could let me know how that went down.... 

Also any alternative names to calling him man of honor??

EDIT: I am not asking people if they would like to stand up with us until after Christmas, just thinking out loud.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Brother in WP but not Sister?

• Options
    You are not required to ask anyone to be in your wedding party, regardless of relation.  Ask your nearest and dearest, or as often said on here, "the ones you could call if you had to hide a body" to stand up with you on your wedding day.  Also, there is no problem with having a man on your side or a woman on the groom's side.  
  • Options
    I think having your brother as your MOH would be lovely.

Are they your only two siblings? If so, then I can see how having one as MOH and the other not even in the BP would probably cause a lot drama pre-wedding and a lot of hurt feelings on your sister's part for years to come. Personally, I would still ask her to be a BM just to keep her from feeling left out. While brides are regularly told on here that they don't need to worry about hurting people's feelings when they pick their BP, I tend to disagree when it comes to a situation like this in that one of your own siblings would be the only one left out.
  • Options
    FWIW, my FI has my younger brother as a groomsman. We did not ask my older brother, as he and I (and he and my Fiance) are not particularly close. 

What we did, however, is ask my older brother to be one of the witnesses on our Ketubah (jewish marriage contract) and to do a reading at the ceremony. 

Also, my FI did not ask his brother or brother in law (and I didn't ask his sister or neices), but his nephew (18) will also be a groomsman.
  • Options
    I would stick to your guns on this one.  I think no matter which way you decide to go, it sounds like your sister will create drama.  She will eventually get over it.

• Options
    @dramamonkey I completely forgot about readings!! Thanks I will ask her when the time comes if she would like to do that. 
  • Options
    And thanks everyone for the posts, I appreciate the insight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards