Chit Chat

Just when you thought you'd seen/heard everything...

This was from Dear Prudence on Slate.com today. I have no words. I'm just SMDH. Also, if FI had suggested this, I'd be seriously reconsidering the idea of marriage....

Q. Breast Job Getting in the Way of Wedding!: I recently got engaged to my wonderful fiancé. Immediately after announcing the engagement to our families, my future SIL sat me down for a serious chat. She says she is currently saving up for breast implants and doesn't want us to marry until she gets them done. She told me she wants to have one family wedding album where she looks perfect and will be heartbroken if I got married against her wishes. The trouble is, my fiancé says we should hold off the wedding for this reason, too. He knows his sister will cause so much trouble and doesn't want to deal with the family drama. He thinks since we live together there is no hurry for marriage, anyway. I know how much he detests conflict and it's true we are pretty much living as a married couple, but I feel like this is so wrong to postpone the wedding. He says the other option is to pay for his sister's breast implant ourselves! Am I crazy for marrying into this family?

A: I've heard that people want others' wedding dates moved because of their pending reproductive plans, or because it's their anniversary which they think should be commemorated like a national holiday. But this is the first time I've heard that starting a new life should be put off until someone can afford new breasts. I often tell brides to stop making themselves nuts in an attempt to create the "perfect day." But it's really something that your sister-in-law thinks the point of your marrying her brother is that she can show off her perfect breasts. I have every confidence that right now she can afford the most jumbo set of falsies. That means that's when it's time for the photos her chest is front and center. Your fiancé should be saying, "Yeah, Stacy has always been a handful. The fact that she wants us to delay her wedding until she's more of a handful is an escalation of the crazy, so let's just ignore her." Instead he is actually considering footing the bill for the boobs, which is rather extraordinary. It's often the case that one family member is so impossible that everyone just gives in to make life easier, but it's a little concerning that your intended "detests conflict" so much he's incapable of telling his sister she's being ridiculous. The advantage of this whole thing happening is that your fiancé wants to postpone your wedding. So that gives you time to explore just how you two will handle this and other inevitable conflicts, which is crucial information you need before you tie the knot.

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Just when you thought you'd seen/heard everything...

• Definitely a WTF. I love these things, they help remind me that no matter how crazy my family is... they'll never be that crazy!
  • Wasn't there a thread on her a while ago about some bride all up in arms about her SILs boob job?  Somebody had a quote in their sig about.

• Yea that's a keeper right there
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Wasn't there a thread on her a while ago about some bride all up in arms about her SILs boob job?  Somebody had a quote in their sig about.

Yes.  And one of the responses to that thread was something like "unless your sister is swinging her new titties around while walking down the aisle" or something to that affect.  That was a great thread.

Yes.  And one of the responses to that thread was something like "unless your sister is swinging her new titties around while walking down the aisle" or something to that affect.  That was a great thread.
    Or running down the aisle yelling "Looooook at my titttttiiiiiiiieessss!" or something.

Anniversary

• NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    Red flag!  

I couldn't imagine marrying someone who would actually consider this.  Seriously, is the sister also going to dictate when they have kids, where they live, etc?

ETA obviously the sister is BSC,  but I personally find her FI's reaction more appalling. 
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I'd be side-eyeing the HELL out of the fiance.  "oh, our wedding date is contingent on your sister's boob job? GTFO!"  

Seriously, who thinks it's okay to make these kind of requests.  Hello, someone else's wedding is not the place for your self-esteem issues.  

Or running down the aisle yelling "Looooook at my titttttiiiiiiiieessss!" or something.

I remember that thread.  It was great!  I think it got deleted though.  I saw that question on slate this morning and I was like, seriously!  I thought Prudence's advice was spot on.
  • Wow! I would be seriously reconsidering marrying this dude in the first place. I mean, there's "conflict avoidance" and then there's just plain chicken-shit...
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Her question: "Am I marrying into a crazy family?" 
    Answer: Yes.

Obviously her FSIL is a nutcase, but the bigger problem is this woman's FH. The fact that he would ignore his FI's wishes to get married sooner based on his sister's boob job and consider PAYING for it is unreasonable and totally bizarre. She should run away from this. Fast. 
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards