Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wear White to Rehearsal Dinner?

i have a white dress, with black flowers on it; i'm not the bride; can I wear this to the rehearsal dinner?

Re: Wear White to Rehearsal Dinner?

• I might not; how big are the flowers? Do you have a black or other colored cardigan you could wear with it? Can you post a picture?
  • edited September 2013
    Yes. 
    But some brides think they have the corner market on white at all things related to their wedding, so if you think this bride would feel this way perhaps you should wear something else. If it is at least 25% black I would say it's fine for the RD ~ IMHO :-)

ETA - you're the best man's date? I wouldn't wear it unless it's 50% black and then wear a colors sweater as well. Sorry. I know it's stupid that who your date is changes my opinion, but if it were me I'd err on the side of caution.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'd probably avoid it, just because it's not worth causing any kind of trouble, but if the pattern is prominent you really should be fine to wear it.  I'd probably throw a colored cardigan over it just to be on the super safe side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would probably avoid it unless has a large pattern or you dress it with another colored cardigan and accessories.
    I wore white to our R and RD because I wanted to and found a really cute dress on craigslist that a bride wore as her "exit" outfit. I would not have even realized if another person was wearing white, but some brides would. Fwiw though, when planning our wedding and posting in here about said dress, several posters told me its considered bad luck for the bride to wear white to wedding events before the wedding (shower, RD) and I just didn't care.

• I wouldn't, especially since you are someone's SO and not close with the couple themselves.  Normally, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal if the black flowers covered a third of the dress.
  • If it was the only thing appropriate I had and I didn't/couldn't buy anything else then yes.  It is a RD not the wedding so I really don't see the huge deal.  But some brides can get a bit crazy with them being the only one that can wear white to anything wedding related so if you have something else I would wear that, just to be on the safe side.

• I'm a huge stickler for not wearing white to weddings that aren't yours, but I wouldn't. give a rip about the rehearsal dinner. Especially if the dress isn't all white. But then, my sister and I showed up to her rehearsal and dinner wearing the EXACT SAME OUTFIT and it bothered neither of us, so there's that...
  • To play it safe, I wouldn't wear it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What would the bride think about it?  One of my sisters wore white to every pre-wedding event- the engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, and rehearsal dinner.  She went out of her way to tell guests not to wear white.  I, on the other hand, didn't wear white until my wedding day (I don't really like the color..) and didn't care less about what color guests wore at any events.  Because the bride and groom only get to have one wedding, this is their special time.  I'd check with her to see if she's okay with you wearing white, so as not to upset her.  If you don't know the bride well enough to ask her then I'd probably steer clear of the dress, some women really like being the only one in white.  Enjoy the dinner and the wedding :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards