Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged...don't have a ring yet!

Hey everyone, I've been reading the posts on here for a while just hoping my day would come soon, and it finally has! He asked me on Saturday and it was so sweet and wonderful. Here's a bit of a back story first:

We've been together for about 6 months, our "official" six month anniversary is this coming weekend, but we had been together for a little while before we made it facebook official! I know its a short time, but when you know, you just know.

He was going to propose on his birthday back in June at a huge BBQ his parents were throwing, (little did I know) and I convinced him to go to the ring store that morning, just to look, and we found the perfect ring and everything, then the ring consultant lady made me leave the room for 20 or 30 minutes and I was thinking what the heck are they doing in there? We are just looking... He came out and looking pretty upset, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong, so we went on to the BBQ and just celebrated his birthday. I found out the next day he wanted to buy the ring that day and propose to me in front of everyone at the BBQ, but the ring store wouldn't let him have the ring that day. So he decided he was going to save up some more money so he wouldn't have to finance any of the ring.

In August we decided we really needed a new couch for our new apartment, so we spent all the money we had been saving for a ring on a brand new beautiful leather couch, which we both really like. Well, I think he got tired of waiting until he saved up all the money again, because this weekend he just proposed!!! I was in bed and it was around 6:00 pm and he came in and said "you're in bed already???!!" and he told me to get out of bed, and come to the living room, then he said, babe, I want you, and I was thinking what?? you're crazy! and he got down on one knee and said, will you marry me? :)

Then he pulled out a ring from James Avery and said, I know its not much but its what I can afford right now and as soon as I graduate and get a job we can get a better one :) It was all very sweet and I loved it. Right now I make more than twice what he makes and I could probably afford to buy myself a nice ring, but I know he wants to buy it all on his own, and he will be done with school in a few months :)

I just wanted to share my story and show that its ok not to have a fancy diamond ring to show off when everyone asks about the ring! its definitely the thought that counts, I'm really excited to start planning and to spend the rest of my life with such a sweet, thoughtful man. :)

Re: Just Engaged...don't have a ring yet!

• Congratulations!
  • Awww that's so sweet! I agree. I think it's adorable that he couldn't wait to propose, so he didn't hold out for the more expensive ring. The superficial elements (like the ring) are fun, but really aren't that big of a deal compared to the love that two people share.
  • You're so lucky! I love James Avrey jewelry!!! :-) Congratulations to you both!!!!
  • Congratulations! That is such a wonderful proposal story and he sounds like a true winner :)
  • Well, we are going ring shopping again tomorrow at the same place we went before the BBQ! We really liked the customer service there and they have so many settings to choose from, so we decided to try there again! We found lots of reasonably priced settings online, so he decided he could probably afford one after all, also I think he wants me to have something to show off to everyone I think he cares more about it than I do, which is really sweet. We already have the center stone so, just getting a setting shouldn't be too much. I'm excited for tomorrow :)

• Congrats knottie!! 
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats!!   I didn't have a ring for almost 2 months after getting engaged.  My fiancée was afraid of buying one I wouldn't love so he proposed with a "temporary (and returnable) ring" and then we later went out and picked the ring together.     

• Well, I got the ring last night :) We were at our favorite bar, the first place we went together just us and he got the bartender to come take pictures of him proposing, and then she brought us a champagne toast after, it was so sweet :)
  • Pretty ring!

I'm confused, though. Weren't you already engaged?
  • Well, yes haha. He gave me a James Avery ring last weekend and then we went and looked at rings this past weekend and he bought one. I kept asking him to just give it to me, but he said he wanted to propose again with the real ring and in a more romantic setting, so I let him do what he wanted to do.
  • Congratulations. I have many pieces of James Avery Jewelry, so I know you have something special on your finger!
  • Congratulations!!! That's awesome!
  • Congratulations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards