Nevada-Las Vegas

Govt Shutdown = NO Marriage License?!

JenniSurfJenniSurf member
First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Nevada-Las Vegas
So, I'm due to get married Oct 11th, and with the government shutdown looming marriage licenses will not be available. I think I'm gonna throw up. Does anyone have insight on this?

Edit: My MOH works for the IRS and she says that it is the local govt, and we should be fine.

Re: Govt Shutdown = NO Marriage License?!

• WHAAAAAT?????

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• That's what I read, along with no passports or gun licenses, but IDK if it's true. Are marriage license bureaus considered federal and not state? I'm so nervous now!
  • Can you post a link to this info?

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Let's hope this crap will be worked out by the 11th! I am about to submit for a Chinese visa this week, I need it rushed for a business trip on the 13th. Actually, I wouldn't mind not having to go :0

But you Jenni, you need to get married. I am sure this will clear up before then. When are you planning to go to the office?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aw @AllyIdo good luck with that!

We are planning on going Thurs the 10th, we arrive in Vegas the 9th. We even pre-registered online a few weeks ago so we could use the express window, and upgraded the limo in our package to a party bus so we could have our group of friends come with to make a celebration out of it. My MOH keeps reassuring me that it won't be an issue, but I'm always planning for the worst while hoping for the best.

• What the does Clark County office say?  I tried to google it, but couldn't find much.  The only thing I found regarding marriage licenses was the link above.  

If they do shut down, I hope it's not for long!  Sounds like things could really get backed up.
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • OMG! I am getting married on the 13th! We were planning on going to the court house on the 10th as well. I hope this all gets sorted. Crazy!
  • I'm getting married on the 6th and planning on getting the license on the 5th!!! They better get it figured out by Saturday!!!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When government shut downs go into effect, they still keep open offices that generate revenue. Plus city governments are not directly affected by a federal government shutdown (except for the city of DC because they are run by the feds). Just call the city clerk. They'll confirm.
  • Just called and the lady said "they haven't told us anything about that."

That was a lot of help!! Ugh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Eep! I'm getting married on the 12th and we're planning on getting the license on the 9th. I'm going to do some positive thinking and hopefully that department will not be affected by any govt shutdown!
  • I couldn't get a live person, only recording prompts. Then when I reached the end of the menu I hit "0" to see if I could get a live person, and it disconnected me. Whomp.

rachel1837 is correct, and all of this worrying is for nothing! I also apologize for causing any unwanted stress! I panicked, and knew I could get real answers here.

Today, they told my FH who is a federal officer at the US/Mexico border that if the govt. is shut down, and he goes on leave he will not be paid for those days (that he's earned and has had approval to use for several months), AND he will not be allowed to return to work until the govt. would reopen. It's so frustrating bc we had to scheduled our wedding around his rotating schedule!
  • Marriage licenses are issued on a county level. Since the shut down is on the federal level ya'll should be just fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah only things I think the fed govt issue would affect, that would matter to someone getting married very soon, would be social security offices for name changes, passport applications, etc.

Glad I got my tax refund a few days ago lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Marriage licenses are issued on a county level. Since the shut down is on the federal level ya'll should be just fine.
    This. The federal government does not affect county offices. Passports are federal; marriage licenses are not. If marriage licenses were federal, then the federal government would dictate gay marriage, not the states/counties. Make sense? :)
  • I read an article that said people getting married at national parks (like Grand Canyon and Yosimite Park) cannot get married there now and they have to rush to replan their weddings last minute...that would be horrible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chyannek said:
    I read an article that said people getting married at national parks (like Grand Canyon and Yosimite Park) cannot get married there now and they have to rush to replan their weddings last minute...that would be horrible!
    I think I would mow down the barricade, and/or risk a fine. Not my problem they're sitting around with their penises in their hands not able to work it out. Lol ^_^
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards