Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Airbrushed makeup aged me 10 years - long lasting alternatives?

I know there are quite a few posts about airbrush versus traditional make and the pros and cons of each, but I'm hoping a combo-skinned bride can give me some recommendations for a long lasting regular foundation that might work for me. 

I had my makeup trial a couple weeks ago and loved everything about it (eyes, lips, etc.), except the airbrushed makeup.  It absolutely did not work for me - I looked ok when I left (I felt the makeup looked a little heavy, but know it needs to be for pictures), but throughout the day it sunk deeper and deeper into my pores, and I looked absolutely awful. I was super disappointed because I spent the last 6 months prepping my skin - a series of peels for pigmentation and microdermabrasion for texture. I wear mineral makeup on a daily basis and my friends say my skin looks flawless, so I have no idea why the airbrushed makeup amplified every pore on my face. 

My makeup artist is well known locally and is very well respected, so I don't think it was necessarily a flaw in the technique - she didn't "seal" the makeup b/c apparently the seal causes some people to break out - could that have anything do to with it? 

So I guess I have two questions and I'll quit rambling: 

1. Did anyone who hated their airbrush makeup at first experiment with different primers or sealants and make it work for them? 
2. Those who decided against airbrushed makeup - what foundation did you use, and did it last all day/night? I have an oily t-zone and my makeup seems to slip off in that area. 

I'm going back next week for another trial and am wondering whether I should give the airbrush another shot, or just switch makeup types. 

Re: Airbrushed makeup aged me 10 years - long lasting alternatives?

• I think you should talk to your MUA about your concerns.  The whole point of airbrush makeup is for it to not feel heavy or caked onto your face.  If it felt like that then she did it wrong.

When you go back for your next trial try not doing the airbrush and see if you like that any better.  If the same thing happens then I would start looking for a different MUA because either she isn't using the right products for your skin or she isn't applying things correctly.  A good MUA should be able to work with your combination skin to make the makeup last and stay looking good for a very long time.

• @Maggie - it didn't feel heavy or caked on - it "looked" heavy in the sense that I normally wear really sheer makeup that lets little freckles come through, and the airbrush really gave me a flawless canvas. I just wasn't used to seeing myself like that. 

What is weird is that it looked great at first, but definitely changed as the day wore on. I've let her know exactly what happened and we're going to experiment with both the airbrushed again and a traditional makeup, so we'll see - but I was hoping to get recs for a traditional makeup beforehand so I could play around with some samples. 

I really want to believe it's my skin that is the problem - she is legit with lots of TV/film experience (has people like David Beckham and Gabby Giffords Time cover shoot in her portfolio) ... so I believe she knows what she's doing - which is why I was doubly dismayed at how the airbrushed looked on me. 

Does it just not "work" on some people? 
  • I had airbrush done and I have a shit ton of freckles (like a ridiculous amount) and they were still very visible once my makeup was done.  I really think she put too much on honestly, especially if she is used to doing makeup for TV/film and magazine covers.  Those pictures and such are completely differently when it comes to what you need for makeup then for what is needed for your wedding day.

As for if it doesn't work for some people.  I think that it works for everyone but it really comes down to how you feel in it and what you think of the end result.

I would also let her know that you typically wear very sheer makeup.  I know that you want to have great makeup on your wedding day but I don't think you should go super far away from what you normally do because you still want to look like you.

• I had airbrush done and I have a shit ton of freckles (like a ridiculous amount) and they were still very visible once my makeup was done.  I really think she put too much on honestly, especially if she is used to doing makeup for TV/film and magazine covers.  Those pictures and such are completely differently when it comes to what you need for makeup then for what is needed for your wedding day.

As for if it doesn't work for some people.  I think that it works for everyone but it really comes down to how you feel in it and what you think of the end result.

I would also let her know that you typically wear very sheer makeup.  I know that you want to have great makeup on your wedding day but I don't think you should go super far away from what you normally do because you still want to look like you.
    I think this may have been the case - I'll definitely ask her to go a little lighter at the next trial! 
  • What about traditional?  I thought for sure I was going to do airbrush because everyone said it lasts longer, looks better, etc....but I had my trial and HATED it.  I did another trial with traditional and it was worlds different for me....so much better.  It also lasted all day.  I think I finally washed my face for bed around 3am.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    What about traditional?  I thought for sure I was going to do airbrush because everyone said it lasts longer, looks better, etc....but I had my trial and HATED it.  I did another trial with traditional and it was worlds different for me....so much better.  It also lasted all day.  I think I finally washed my face for bed around 3am.
    @JoanE2012 - do you know what makeup they used on you, specifically? 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    What about traditional?  I thought for sure I was going to do airbrush because everyone said it lasts longer, looks better, etc....but I had my trial and HATED it.  I did another trial with traditional and it was worlds different for me....so much better.  It also lasted all day.  I think I finally washed my face for bed around 3am.
    @JoanE2012 - do you know what makeup they used on you, specifically? 
    @OjitosVerdes - No, I'm sorry, I don't remember.  I think it was MAC but I'm not absolutely certain.
  • I had airbrush that didn't look very good on me, and then had someone else do it, and it looked great. It really can depend on the application and maybe the setting spray/end product. I'd want to test whatever I would use on my face before the day of the wedding. If you break out, give yourself enough time to heal from it and then you know not to use it again. Good luck finding what you like best!
  • I'm going back to the same makeup artist for another trial in a couple of weeks - after expressing my concerns to her, she thinks it might be the airbrush makeup formulation that she used - it had somewhat of a dewey finish (which probably highlighted my pores) so we're going to experiment with a few different matte versions. I really love how long lasting it was and hope I can find a formulation that I love for my wedding day! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards