Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

People won't miss wedding cake, right?

2»

Re: People won't miss wedding cake, right?

• Options
    I LOVE cake. It's one of my favorite parts of the wedding. I always go check out the cake and admire it (seriously, I look at it so close my fiance has told me to step away from the cake, thinking I was going to lick the frosting). I enjoy seeing the couple cut it and then I get like a kid who can't contain their excitement until I get a piece. What flavor, where did it come from, I need all the cake details!

Clearly I'm a crazy cake lady so I would miss it. However your dessert table sounds fantastic, can I come? :P

I would never judge anyone for their choice, but I would be a bit disappointed, since the cake is always one of my favorite things.
  • Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't miss it so long as there's something sweet to eat.  We're doing a bourbon dark chocolate mousse and I would have been satisfied with just that but FI also wanted the traditional, white, tiered, butter cream  frosting cake so we're doing both.
  • Options
    I recently went to a wedding where there was no cake and no "cutting" of anything, and to be honest, I did miss it. I think part of the problem was that they only offered one type of dessert (donuts), and I'm a big cake lover, haha. I think it will be less missed since you have a lot of dessert options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope...especially not if there's cheesecake! :-9
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Nope! You are providing an appropriate substitute for the traditional wedding cake, so you are fine.

You may consider displaying the desserts you are offering on a table with various size/height of stands/platters to "display" them as your wedding desserts.

We are doing cupcakes for our wedding (with a small cake to cut), but I also considered either doing pie or various cakes from a bakery displayed on a table instead of a traditional cake. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't miss it!  And I know for a fact my husband would think it's the best wedding he's ever been to because he doesn't really like cake but LOVES cheesecake.
  • Options
    I've been to a few weddings without cake. Honestly, I miss cake. Gimme wedding cake please. But I would also eat what you're planning to serve and do a sigh for no wedding cake, then eat a crap load of cheesecake :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I think what you are doing sounds great!  I am planning on having a cake because the cake cutting is important to our parents. (to the point where they nearly demanded it when we weren't strongly considering it)  But we are having a smaller cake with other dessert options.  Also I would die for some good NY cheesecake at the wedding, maybe I can (nicely) ask my in-laws to bring some along...
  • Options
    I think what you are doing sounds great!  I am planning on having a cake because the cake cutting is important to our parents. (to the point where they nearly demanded it when we weren't strongly considering it)  But we are having a smaller cake with other dessert options.  Also I would die for some good NY cheesecake at the wedding, maybe I can (nicely) ask my in-laws to bring some along...
    If your in-laws are in the NY Metro area, have them go to Whole Foods for cheesecake. That's where my company sells them ;-)
  • Options
    If your in-laws are in the NY Metro area, have them go to Whole Foods for cheesecake. That's where my company sells them ;-)

I will definitly remember that!  My whole family and FI's family are both from Long Island.  Even the vast majority of our cousins/aunts/uncles are out there...so I don't think it would be too hard to get my hands on some if I want it.  I love PA and all but there are some things that you just can't get out here.  (mainly cheesecake, pizza and bagels...)
  • Options
    Our cheesecakes are definitely in the Whole Foods on Long Island! I grew up and live in the Hudson Valley - totally spoiled with cheesecake, pizza and bagels. My parents recently moved to PA (the Poconos) and man, is the food there lacking!  They drive up to Arthur Ave. every few weeks to stock up on food. 
  • Options

Our cheesecakes are definitely in the Whole Foods on Long Island! I grew up and live in the Hudson Valley - totally spoiled with cheesecake, pizza and bagels. My parents recently moved to PA (the Poconos) and man, is the food there lacking!  They drive up to Arthur Ave. every few weeks to stock up on food. 

We went even further, we are outside of Harrisburg (south central pa).  When ever family travels one way or the other we will trade goodies.  Our region has some of the most amazing Whoopie Pies, Root Beer, and other Amish gooides, so when we visit we bring that...our families bring bagels and cheesecakes!  It all works in the end :)
  • Options

We went even further, we are outside of Harrisburg (south central pa).  When ever family travels one way or the other we will trade goodies.  Our region has some of the most amazing Whoopie Pies, Root Beer, and other Amish gooides, so when we visit we bring that...our families bring bagels and cheesecakes!  It all works in the end :)
    That's great! I love that. 
  • Options
    The dessert spread sounds fabulous!

I did something similar when I married my late husband.  Neither one of us really cared for cake.  His Mom insisted on a wedding cake for cake-cutting pictures, which I thought was silly. But, she ordered one from the local bakery and had it delivered, then staged the pictures at the reception. By which point it just wasn't worth arguing about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing cake balls (like cake pops, but without the stick) in place of cake.. tons of flavors, plus they're cute and different! But, we're still getting a six or eight inch cake as well so that we can do a cake-cutting. I for whatever reason felt like I'd be bummed to miss out on the tradition.
  • Options
    OP, if you DO NOT have cake, this is what will happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFZuzsfy-j4&noredirect=1

JK.  I just think that commercial is hilarious.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Hahaha!! That is too funny! 
  • Options
    My cousin is diabetic and did a giant cookie cutting instead of a cake and served 10 different kinds of cookies for any variety of diets. It was awesome. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    I LOVE cake. It's one of my favorite parts of the wedding. I always go check out the cake and admire it (seriously, I look at it so close my fiance has told me to step away from the cake, thinking I was going to lick the frosting). I enjoy seeing the couple cut it and then I get like a kid who can't contain their excitement until I get a piece. What flavor, where did it come from, I need all the cake details!

Clearly I'm a crazy cake lady so I would miss it. However your dessert table sounds fantastic, can I come? :P

I would never judge anyone for their choice, but I would be a bit disappointed, since the cake is always one of my favorite things.
    All of this! As another crazy cake lady (FI and I make/decorate cakes as a hobby), I would miss it. However, you are providing an amazing spread for your guests and I don't think you need to worry another second about it. 
  • Options
    Love the squirrel video.  All the flames made me laugh so hard.  ;)

• Options
    Honestly, neither of us are big cake people. I want to offer a selection of desserts, which I think is also nice for guests with allergies or special diets. But to make FMIL happy, we will order a small (probably 2 tiers) cake and possibly a groom's cake for photos. A family friend has offered to help out so I don't view this as a huge expense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards