Chit Chat
Options

Wish me luck - trying to get out of lease

I moved into a new apartment in April, right when FI and I were first dating. I needed a place that would accept my dog (pit mix) and I was running out of time. I eventually found a place 10 minutes from where I was living. It was the entire bottom half of a high ranch. The rent was crazy high, but it's NY and it included utilities so I figured I would make it work. 

The apartment and the landlord soon became a nightmare. Just a few things:

You can hear everything that goes on upstairs. The LL and his wife fight all the time. And I'm talking full on screaming at each other in Polish. 
LL has two ducks that live in the backyard. And they are nasty. Anytime I went outside, they'd chase me and peck at my legs. It's funny. But it's also annoying. 
We all share a washer/dryer. Except it was nearly impossible for me to get a load in because they were always doing laundry. 
LL accused me of breaking the washer (the spout where you pour the bleach fell in between the washer and dryer)
One night when LL was drunk, he cornered me in the driveway and told me that his wife won't have sex with him. Awesome. 
He then decided to get rabbits - not for pets, to eat. He let them lose in the backyard. Then he accused my dog of killing 3 of them. Did I mention that he had a crazy dog named KILLER? Yeah. 
If I left a light on for more than a few hours, he'd call me to complain. 
He then called to complain that I had the air on too low. The thermostat (in August) was set at 76. 
If I forgot to pick my mail up, he'd call to complain about that too. The guy was constantly calling and knocking on my door. 
And apparently the tenant before me had cats and kept the litter box in the bedroom. I'm allergic. Steam cleaning and vacuuming the carpets made no difference. 

I could keep going. I haven't even slept there since I got engaged. Thankfully his lease is extremely basic. It says nothing about breaking the lease early (it's one year) - it only says I have to give 30 days notice. I'm going over there after work to talk to him and tell him I'm moving out. I just hope this goes smoothly. I'm dreading having this conversation. Ugh. 

Re: Wish me luck - trying to get out of lease

• Options
    Good luck!!  Cite the paperwork if he tries to not let you.  Stick with the facts in the lease and he theoretically has to agree to the terms

• Options
    Good luck getting out of there - hopefully your next LL is much less invasive.
  • Options
    Good luck getting out of there - hopefully your next LL is much less invasive.
    Thankfully my FI owns a house and I'll be moving in with him :-) 
  • Options
    Good luck! I bet with the 30 days notice stipulation you'll be fine. Plus, moving in with your FI is a non-controversial, non-awkward reason.
  • Options
    Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Good luck! Hope it goes well so you don't have to deal with his excessive naggy-ness and be with your honey!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You need to document everything, JIC. I would assume that NY would be like Cali in that courts almost always side with the tenant, especially if you aren't harming his property. I know you don't want to go through the courts but you and your LL should both know this.

Anniversary

• Options
    Ooo, courts side with the tenant where you are? I gotta move! Seems like LL's get everything their way in the Northern Plains sometimes.
  • Options
    Ooo, courts side with the tenant where you are? I gotta move! Seems like LL's get everything their way in the Northern Plains sometimes.
    Really? Here it's almost impossible to evict someone. Even if they stop paying rent it takes months, and they have legal right to the premises in the meantime.

Again I'm only assuming NY is like Cali, but if it is and OP is paid up, gives notice, and doesn't trash the place, she should be allowed to break the lease.

Anniversary

• Options

If it's a one year lease, you would need to give 30 days notice prior to that one year ending, not 30 days notice anytime during the lease. If this is how it is stated, the landlord can sue you for the remaining months rent and re-renting fees. Please double check this.

I am a landlord in NYS. I only do 30 day rental agreements. It just auto-renews every month & the tenant only has to give me a 30 day notice to leave.

• Options
    I have been calling the landlord all weekend; he has not answered one of my calls. So I left a note in his mailbox. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards