Plus-Sized

long or short bridesmaid dresses

hyechica81hyechica81 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited October 2013 in Plus-Sized
so i am torn i really wanted long gowns for my bridesmaids i am having an evening wedding in june of 2014 i really love the look of long dresses and its the one time my mades can really dress up in something fancy.  i don't want any heavy fabrics or gowns something light and flowy i am open tea length but not short as you can wear a short dress any time of the year but a nice long fancy dress you can wear often. 

my sister whos also my moh is instant on short dresses and is telling me she wont wear long i want short long is ugly bla bla bla. i know shes my sister and her opinons count but she wont even entertain the idea of trying on something long. i have 6 mades and my moh so total seven girls they are all various heights and sizes with the biggest size  being like a 10 and the smallest being a size jr 0.

i am so torn i am going to get appointments soon to look at dresses. should i put my sister in only short dresses and one of my mades in a long dress? to compare or should i also ask my sister to try on a long dress? there will be only 3 mades with me because the rest of my mades live out of state. so we are still trying to figure out the best option to get them to try on dresses localy where they are.

oh and the deisgners we are looking at that my salon carries are mori lee, mori lee affairs, belosie and b2 by jasmine 

Re: long or short bridesmaid dresses

• I would stay open to the option of putting her in a short dress. You want everyone to be comfortable. She's probably wanting a short dress for other reasons too (you are more likely to be able to wear the dress again). Let her try on a short one (since she's MOH she could be in a different dress than the rest.) That being said, if you want everyone in the same dress she's gonna have to deal, that's part of being in a wedding. Have her pick out some long styles she may like and try on those. Also, there's always the option of a hi-lo dress that is now in style. Maybe she would compromise with that and the rest can be in long dresses? Hope those suggestions work! 
  • Depending on where you live, short dresses would lend themselves better to June weather for your bridesmaids.  The best thing to do is go dress shopping with an open mind.
  • I agree with silverglitter05; stay open to different options. My sister/MOH went shopping with the intention of picking out a short dress, but ended up going with a long dress. I also only went shopping with my sister at first. We made a list of all of the contenders, and then went back with the other BMs. If she's concerned with wearing it again, she could always get a long dress shortened after the wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think if someone wants to be part of a bridal party, they should agree to wear whatever kind of dress the bride chooses (unless it is way too revealing for her religion or something).  In my mind, if you want your maids in long dresses, then they should wear them for you.  It is one day, they can suck it up and wear something even if it isn't their style.
  • doeydo said:
    I think if someone wants to be part of a bridal party, they should agree to wear whatever kind of dress the bride chooses (unless it is way too revealing for her religion or something).  In my mind, if you want your maids in long dresses, then they should wear them for you.  It is one day, they can suck it up and wear something even if it isn't their style.
    I do not agree with this at all.  Yes, when accepting the position/role of BM, the one inherent understanding is that a dress purchase will be required.  However, it is incumbent upon the bride to ask the BM about her comfort level regarding budget.  A bride should also keep in mind the personal comfort level of her BM's as it relates to their physical size.  Whether petite or plus size, not all styles will be flattering or comfortable to every girl.  If the bride wants to choose the most hideous color in the crayon box, then no harm, no foul.  But ANY style without ANY consideration of her bridal party?  I don't think that's cool at all.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    mobkaz said:
    doeydo said:
    I think if someone wants to be part of a bridal party, they should agree to wear whatever kind of dress the bride chooses (unless it is way too revealing for her religion or something).  In my mind, if you want your maids in long dresses, then they should wear them for you.  It is one day, they can suck it up and wear something even if it isn't their style.
    I do not agree with this at all.  Yes, when accepting the position/role of BM, the one inherent understanding is that a dress purchase will be required.  However, it is incumbent upon the bride to ask the BM about her comfort level regarding budget.  A bride should also keep in mind the personal comfort level of her BM's as it relates to their physical size.  Whether petite or plus size, not all styles will be flattering or comfortable to every girl.  If the bride wants to choose the most hideous color in the crayon box, then no harm, no foul.  But ANY style without ANY consideration of her bridal party?  I don't think that's cool at all.
    I agree that it has to be within the bridesmaids' budget.  So if one BM's budget was $100, another is $150, and the last is $70 then the dresses should be within the $70 budget.  If I was going to be a bridesmaid or maid of honour in someone's wedding, I would expect to purchase and wear whatever the bride envisioned for her wedding day.  If she was considerate of what the bridesmaids' opinions/different styles, then that is a bonus.
    ETA:
    Also, if the material gave one of the girls a rash/irritated her skin, I would understand that BM not wanting to wear that dress.  But this MOH who is demanding a certain style is just outrageous.  
  • the only thing i want is long dresses and teal or aqua color it can be any style i have no prefrence for style i will let them pick out stuff i will pick out stuff and we will see what looks good. price point im not going to be all crazy and ask my maids to spend lots of money everyone is comfortable with up to 150-160 for a dress and the place where i am going her dresses are very inexpensive 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards