Chit Chat
Options

Apple recipes

I went apple picking this weekend and I picked up about 10 pounds of apples. We can't possibly eat them all so I need some good recipes. I found some recipes online but I am always weary to try out those recipes. It's usually hit or miss with them (usually a miss).

Re: Apple recipes

• Options
    Apple sauce, poached apples, stew with apples, apple pies and tarts, baked apples, baked apples with squash, apple bread...

What kinds of recipes are you looking for?
  • Options
    The amount of apple recipes online is so overwhelming. I am just looking to see if anyone had any good apple recipes they personally love. I am less concerned about what kind of recipes they are (Fi and I are not picky eaters). Does that make sense?
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Slow Cooker Apple Butter October 17th, 2011 Yield: 4 pints Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: Ingredients: 6 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and sliced
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    Directions: 1. Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
    2. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
    3. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours.
    4. Use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until smooth.
    5. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.
    6. Serve on breads, muffins, pork chops or just eat it with a spoon. Notes: - I used a combination of Granny Smith, Fuji and Honey Crisp apples for this recipe.
    - The sweetness of your apples will depend on how much sugar you will need to add. Adjust according to your apples and preferences.
    - I have not canned this recipe.
    - The jars used in the photos are from Weck (900 - 1/5 L Mold Jars)
    - The labels in the photos were made using my Silhouette machine.
    The link to it: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/crock-pot-slow-cooker-apple-butter-recipe/
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Oh apple butter! They were selling jars of it for $8.00. It sounds really good- thanks!
  • Options
    Oh apple butter! They were selling jars of it for $8.00. It sounds really good- thanks!
    I know!! If I had enough apples I would totally make it, which you do :) It's a nice simple recipe too.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We have 4 apple trees in our yard so I totally understand the apple surplus. I make an apple sauce-like topping for pork chops. I either buy butterflied or thick cut pork steaks and grill them, then put this on the top of it to serve. I eyeball versus using measuring spoons when I cook, but I can approximate:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 sweet onion - chopped
    4 apples - coarsely chopped
    2 stems sage leaves (if you use dried, toss in 1 teaspoon or so)
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    3 tablespoons brown sugar (I use dark, but it doesn't really matter)
    1 tablespoon butter (smart balance or other is fine)
    pork steaks (season with salt, pepper and thyme)

Saute onions with olive oil and sage over medium heat until al dente. Add apples, cinnamon and nutmeg - let the apples cook down a bit - 5 minutes or so. If you like a smoother texture, mash them up. If you want it chunkier just mash 1/2 (this is what I do). Remove from heat and add brown sugar and butter. Mix until dissolved/melted. If you used sage stems, remove them. Serve over your grilled/seasoned pork.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I also make a mean caramel apple bread pudding (yes, it's just as terrible for you as it sounds). Bread pudding is DH's favorite dessert so I try to swap out seasonal stuff so it doesn't get boring. This is WAY easier if you have an apple corer/peeler, but if you don't it's just a bit more work. Here's this one:

5 1/2 cups stale bread chunks (1" or so) - get italian/french/plain white from the reduced rack, break it up and leave it out over night so it's super stale
    3 1/2 cups apple thinly sliced/chopped apple chunks (peeled)
    4 whole eggs
    3 egg yolks
    3 cups whole milk (gotta use whole)
    3/4 cups brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    dash salt
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp cloves
    2 tablespoons butter

Put bread and apples in a greased baking dish - 9x13 with deep sides is best. Mix everything else (except butter) together and pour over the bread/apples. Mix around a bit so everything's covered. Let it sit for 30 minutes. The longer you let it sit the more moist it ends up being. I usually put saran wrap on it and throw it in the fridge for a few hours then bake it. Whenever you're ready, bake it at 350 for 45 minutes. Make sure the center isn't jiggly or eggy. The caramel part comes in when you drizzle caramel ice cream topping on it when you serve it.

ETA: I forgot to tell you what to do with the butter. break it up into little chunks and distribute over the top before your put it in the oven (like you would with cobbler).
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013

Oh wow, I am loving all these recipes. I should go back to the Honeypot and pick some more apples!

ETA- Thank you for the recipes.

(my mother raised me to say thank you).

• Options
    There's a fantastic recipe on allrecipes for apple stuffed acorn squash. I recommend going with sharp cheddar over regular cheddar for the cheese in the mixture- quite a tasty mix of flavors!
  • Options

Thank you @chipmunk415 That recipe sounds so good.

At this rate, I need to go back and pick 10 more pounds of apples because I love all the recipes so far.

• Options
    FI and I make this every fall and absolutely love it - brown sugar kielbasa with apples and onions. Served with sauerkraut and a German-style potato salad, it is divine! It's also super easy and inexpensive. We do the prep work at home and take this one camping, too. 

• Options
    I want to make stuff with apples but I don't have the patience to peel them with a knife.
  • Options
    @ojitosverdes, that sounds delicious!  I picked up some kielbasa the other day, so I may have to make that recipe very soon.

I just made an apple pie with the apples we picked over the weekend, and it was delicious!  I use my mom's recipe, which looks an awful lot like the one on the package of pie crust I bought...

If you don't already have one, I would recommend getting an apple corer/peeler/slicer.  It's quite possibly one of my favorite (but most underused) kitchen gadgets. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Oh wow @ojitosverdes that looks good. Thank you!

FI ate a third of the apples. I can't imagine how he must be feeling. That is a lot of apples to eat in two days.

It's going to be a challenge to figure out what to make with the leftover apples bacause of all the great recipes. Thank you everyone!

• Options
    Not apple related but...found a Pumpkin Spice Latte CUPCAKE recipe with spiced cream cheese frosting recipe. I will be making it to test and share (office loves the baked goods). Will post again with taste testing results, and recipe if it gets positive reviews.
  • Options
    Not apple related but...found a Pumpkin Spice Latte CUPCAKE recipe with spiced cream cheese frosting recipe. I will be making it to test and share (office loves the baked goods). Will post again with taste testing results, and recipe if it gets positive reviews.
    Please, please, please post the recipe. I am drooling at my desk here (while eating an apple, natch).
  • Options
    Please, please, please post the recipe. I am drooling at my desk here (while eating an apple, natch).
    Seconded. I need this. :)

• Options

@chipmunk415

How did the Pumpkin Spice Latte cupcakes go over? Can you post the recipe?

• Options

Hi ladies! I haven't had an opportunity to try to make the cupcakes yet, (swamped at work and home) but I'm happy to put the recipe down below.

Ingredients:

Cupcake Batter

• 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
    • 3 Tablespoon espresso powder (can also use instant coffee)
    • 2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 can pumpkin puree (do not use pumpkin pie filling)
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 cup light brown sugar
    • 1 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
    • 2 large eggs

Cheesecake Latte Frosting

• 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
    • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 1 cup (8 ounce package) cream cheese, room temperature
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 teaspoons instant coffee (or call for espresso powder)

Instructions:

For cupcakes

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
    2. In a medium bowl combine flour, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt, stir to combine and set aside.
    3. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine pumpkin puree, sugar(s) and oil and mix on low. Add eggs, one at a time till they are well blended. Add dry mix and mix until just combined.
    4. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.

For Frosting

1. Mix butter on low/med and add sugar gradually till fluffy.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
  • Options
    Thank you for posting it! I have to bring dessert to my bookclub in a few days and may use this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards