Chit Chat
Options

Plus Size Bridesmaid Dress?

My MOH, mom, and I went and looked at bridesmaid dresses last weekend.  I finally found something that I like.  (Bill Levkoff 163 in watermelon) 

I called the bridal salon that I'd like to order from (this salon includes alterations in the price...the salon where I'm getting my dress does not).  The lady I spoke with on the phone said they charge $25 extra for sizes 18-22, $30 for sizes 22+, and $20 for extra length (taller than 5'7).

I have 2 possibly 3 bridesmaids that are in the 18-22 range.

I was just wondering if the extra charge is normal?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Plus Size Bridesmaid Dress?

• Options
    I have heard that plus sizes usually charge more because they use more fabric. I don't know if it's true.
  • Options
    I believe it is normal. A lot of the time if they have to take it in, or do quite a bit of altering they will charge for it. At least that is what our alteration's place told me and my bridal party.It may vary by shop, city, state and what needs to be done on the dress. Hope this helps! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I know for my SIL, David's bridal charged her an extra $150 for the extra length on her wedding dress (she is almost 6 foot tall) and then charged her another $80 to hem it to the correct length. 

I've bought several bridesmaid's dressed over the years from David's Bridal and I"m a size 26.  I don't believe I paid more than the other (non plus size) bridesmaid.  It may depend on the store of the fabric.  Since you have to information on the dress, can you see if you can find it elsewhere for cheaper? 
  • Options
    ranzzo said:
    I know for my SIL, David's bridal charged her an extra $150 for the extra length on her wedding dress (she is almost 6 foot tall) and then charged her another $80 to hem it to the correct length. 

I've bought several bridesmaid's dressed over the years from David's Bridal and I"m a size 26.  I don't believe I paid more than the other (non plus size) bridesmaid.  It may depend on the store of the fabric.  Since you have to information on the dress, can you see if you can find it elsewhere for cheaper? 

I made a bunch of phone calls.  All of the salons in my area charge the same amount for this dress.  They charge vastly different prices for plus sizes.  I think we'll be sticking with the salon I was originally thinking of.  They had the cheaper plus size option and alterations are included.

Thanks for your help!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I was my best friend's MOH last summer (2012) I got my dress from David's Bridal in a size 18 and paid the same as the other BMs, so it must depend on the shop.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm plus-sized, and the upcharge for sizing is normal.  Most designers do charge extra to cover the cost of additional fabric.  It varies from one designer to another, but the prices you got sound fair. 
    Bill Levkoff, Bari Jay, Mori Lee/Angelina Facceda, Watters/WTOO, Impression, Dessy, DaVinci, Jordan, Bonny, Allure, and others all charge extra.  

David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo are the only two that I can think of who don't charge extra for plus-sizes. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My MOH, mom, and I went and looked at bridesmaid dresses last weekend.  I finally found something that I like.  (Bill Levkoff 163 in watermelon) 

I called the bridal salon that I'd like to order from (this salon includes alterations in the price...the salon where I'm getting my dress does not).  The lady I spoke with on the phone said they charge $25 extra for sizes 18-22, $30 for sizes 22+, and $20 for extra length (taller than 5'7).

I have 2 possibly 3 bridesmaids that are in the 18-22 range.

I was just wondering if the extra charge is normal?
    It depends where you're getting it from. Some charge for it, others don't. If I was you, I would search around for other dresses at other places. You can even look for that dress at other locations and call them and ask if they charge.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    @silver0319 My daughter's wedding gown in size 18W was $100 more expensive at AA.
  • Options
    Some stores/salons do this because of the extra fabric.
  • Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    @silver0319 My daughter's wedding gown in size 18W was $100 more expensive at AA.
    Really?? I got my wedding dress from Alfred Angelo's and had no price difference for a size 20.

ETA: Did she get it at an Alfred Angelo's branch or a store that sold Alfred Angelo?
  • Options
    My bridesmaids got their dresses from DB. One is a size 8 and the other is a 26 and they both paid the same amount.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I called around.  The store I picked charges $25 bucks extra for plus sizes.  A few of the other stores charged, $40, $50, and $60 more for the same dress!  Guess it does depend on the stores around here.

The store we're using includes alterations.  Where the other stores charge extra for the plus size and then alterations.  And they said that's standard no matter what the designer.

A few of my girls had said they knew they'd have to pay extra for plus size because they have before.  I was willing to change the dress to avoid that but it seems standard. 

ETA: Thankfully the girls didn't even want to consider looking a DB.  I personally HATE working with them.  The ones around here are a nightmare.  And they are located in flood zones. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @melbelleup. It was an AA signature store. The regular 18 was $100 less than the 18W. Maybe they have a 20 versus a 20W? Can't tell from their website about sizing. It was one of those times when mom was not allowed in the dressing room as I'm sure she was/is sensitive about her size. I was there solely to ooh and aah and pay. I pick my battles and $100 was not worth wrecking that experience with her.
  • Options
    I called around.  The store I picked charges $25 bucks extra for plus sizes.  A few of the other stores charged, $40, $50, and $60 more for the same dress!  Guess it does depend on the stores around here.

The store we're using includes alterations.  Where the other stores charge extra for the plus size and then alterations.  And they said that's standard no matter what the designer.

A few of my girls had said they knew they'd have to pay extra for plus size because they have before.  I was willing to change the dress to avoid that but it seems standard. 

ETA: Thankfully the girls didn't even want to consider looking a DB.  I personally HATE working with them.  The ones around here are a nightmare.  And they are located in flood zones. 
    As long as they're fine with it, go for it. It is nice that the store you're choosing includes alternations so they're basically paying the $25 for that. If they're all fine with the price increase due by size, I say go for it. :) It's a way pretty dress and love the color.
  • Options
    @melbelleup. It was an AA signature store. The regular 18 was $100 less than the 18W. Maybe they have a 20 versus a 20W? Can't tell from their website about sizing. It was one of those times when mom was not allowed in the dressing room as I'm sure she was/is sensitive about her size. I was there solely to ooh and aah and pay. I pick my battles and $100 was not worth wrecking that experience with her.
    Maybe, that might be it. I hear you as long as it's the dress she wants she gets ;) My mom did the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards