October 2014 Weddings
Options

Wedding Colors - HELP!

My FH and I will be getting married in New York City next October and I'm struggling with potential colors.
I'm not really a fan of fall colors, I don't like the deep reds and burnt oranges that go along with fall. I am not really a big fan of deep dark colors in general which I think is the reason I'm having so much difficulty picking a color scheme. I was considering a deep plum/eggplant but I just don't really feel that I actually like it.

The main input I've gotten from my FH is that he wants charcoal grey suits for the groomsmen - so basically not much help at all.

I'm having difficulty settling on anything because the colors I tend to gravitate more towards are very bright and I fear they wont look right in the cool October weather.

Any thoughts on color schemes I might consider? I feel so lost and I'm starting to think that me and the fall are just completely incompatible! 

Re: Wedding Colors - HELP!

• Options
    What about a navy paired with maybe a lighter grey? Or like a dusty blue with the charcoal grey?
    Anniversary
  • Options

Honestly, just choose colours that you love. The season really doesn't matter.

I'm not doing typical autumn colours and I love my colour palette.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I agree! I am not doing any typical "fall colors" either. Do what you love!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also getting married in NYC next October, and my color palette feels more like spring time! I picked charcoal gray, blush pink, ivory and black with in a mix-match vintage romantic theme (not sure if any of that made sense! haha)but those are not fall colors at all! But my FH and I love it and that's all that really matters. Make your day about everything you and your FH love and all will be perfect. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm getting married on LI next October and I also very strongly dislike fall colors.  I thought about it for a while, and eventually ended up deciding on a color scheme that I love:  black and silver with cobalt blue accents.  I found that I really wanted a bright color to focus on, but like you, I felt like it seemed too Springy, and I'm really happy with my compromise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This has been SO HELPFUL. Thanks all for the input.
    I feel much better about just going my own way and picking whatever colors I want regardless of season!
  • Options
    Im getting married in the hudson valley of NY in "prime leaf season" and I'm not doing autumn colors. Navy, merlot (or burgundy, I like wine so we'll go with merlot), and ivory. We both LOVE navy so thats how we got that color. I chose ivory because I love white, but its such a harsh color and my dress is ivory. Merlot came into play because it complements the other colors well as well as many flowers that are in season will come in that color. :) 

I say chose the colors you want. You dont want to have regrets later down the line!
  • Options
    yay I am so happy I am reading all of this too.  I am getting married on Long Island next October as well and I am not doing fall colors.  We are doing a lot of neutrals like champagne, tan, white and light pink. Glad to hear I am not the only one :)
  • Options
    How exciting! I am also getting married in NYC next October 18! Where is everyone getting married in NY? We are having our wedding, cocktail and reception at the Riverside church on the UWS. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations where the bridesmaids/bride could stay and get ready at? Looking for a nice affordable hotel. Thanks!
  • Options
    @megp922 We're getting married a the Villa Borghese in Wappingers Falls, Dutchess County. :) 
  • Options
    @megp922 We're getting married at The Lake Club in Staten Island
  • Options
    Nice!!! Best of luck :)
  • Options
    @megp922 we are getting married at Carlyle on the Green on Long Island... I grew up in Yonkers, I would love to get married in the city!
  • Options
    @danielletommy36 - how funny I grew up in yonkers too - my fiance is from Li! What a small world. 
  • Options
    When you said bright, do you mean like bright jewel tones. A bright fuchsia would like nice with grey.
    It up to you really. In the end, it's what you want. No one is keeping score.
  • Options
    I hate oranges and the such also. I ended up going with a tuscan theme and picking gold, ivory and eggplant. That made it easy to design the flowers, table settings and menu.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You should do what colors you like. I happen to be doing fall shades because I like those but that is my personal preference. Anything will go with gray so that will look nice. I saw on Four Weddings a bride did black, white with emerald green accents which looked soo cool! If you like bright colors then go for it. You can do bright orange/pink, orange/yellow, turquoise/orange or yellow. Also with gray you can do a deep color with a bright color or pastel. For example. Deep magenta color with a pastel pink or a bright pink with gray. A purple shade and then a lighter version of the color. You really could do any color combination, it is your day. Do not worry about the season, I have seen sunflowers in the fall with pool blue and that to some people would be summer.
  • Options
    I would choose colors based on what you like. It is your wedding and it shouldn't matter the time of year and what other people will think. I chose to go both with navy and fuschia/magenta. Our guys are wearing medium grey suits. When I look back on it I will know that I chose it because I loved it not because people think it should be a certain color. Do what makes you happy! :)
  • Options
    I also am getting married in October and I picked Malibu, tangerine, and sunburst. I just thought that the orange and yellow were more fall colors and the teal color would make it pop. Three colors I never thought I'd  want in my wedding but hey you never know until you play around with some colors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards