Just Engaged and Proposals

Newly Engaged and Newly Pregnant...HELP!!

I just got engaged last month to the man of my dreams. I haven't been feeling very well for the last few days and I went to the hospital. They ran some tests and...SURPRISE!! My wedding isn't until September 13th of next year, but is that too soon after having baby? My due date is June 20th. This will be my 2nd child and my oldest is 4. I was planning on having a fairly DIY wedding and I know my sisters, mom, aunts, cousins etc. will be more than happy to help me out with anything I need. I'm just kind of worried it might be too soon. I don't plan on drinking at the wedding, so that won't be an issue for me at all. We already paid for the venue in full, and I don't think we can get the money back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: Newly Engaged and Newly Pregnant...HELP!!

• Congrats!I see no reason why it should be too soon.
  • I think you should be fine!!
  • edited October 2013
    I went back to work part-time 5 weeks after giving birth, and I had extenuating circumstances including surgeries before and after. My stomach/weight went back to normal after a week. I think you will be totally fine!! :) And baby will be old enough. I think it'll be neat timing because you'll have a chance to button up details while you're hanging out cuddling your sleeping infant. Also I am a health freak and drank wine when nursing but timed it accordingly and tested the milk first.
  • Congratulations, how exciting!! I think you'll be fine too :)

• Thanks everyone! My family has been very supportive so far and have already offered to take on most of the wedding planning duties for me. I of course get the final say in everything, but it makes me feel better knowing that most of the stress of wedding planning will be off my shoulders :)
  • That should be plenty of time. 

If you don't want to drink that's cool, however, you can totally drink when breastfeeding.  The guideline my lactation consultant gave me was if you are ok to drive you are ok to breastfeed.  So basically as long as you don't feel tipsy.  If you drink too much just wait till you sober up to breastfeed.  No need to pump and dump unless you are in pain.  As for testing your milk, don't bother.  People who haven't had any alcohol at all have tried those test strips and tested too drunk to breastfeed.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    That should be plenty of time. 

If you don't want to drink that's cool, however, you can totally drink when breastfeeding.  The guideline my lactation consultant gave me was if you are ok to drive you are ok to breastfeed.  So basically as long as you don't feel tipsy.  If you drink too much just wait till you sober up to breastfeed.  No need to pump and dump unless you are in pain.  As for testing your milk, don't bother.  People who haven't had any alcohol at all have tried those test strips and tested too drunk to breastfeed.  
    Why risk it though?  I would *never* drink if I was pregnant or breastfeeding, sorry but to me, it is just stupid.
  • If your last pregnancy and birth went ok, you should be fine. If you had complications, then it may be different. But if it went fine last time, you had a natural birth (as in not C-section) then you should be fine. If you have to have a C-section it may complicate things, but I don't know why that would happen.
  • doeydo said:
    mysticl said:
    That should be plenty of time. 

Why risk it though?  I would *never* drink if I was pregnant or breastfeeding, sorry but to me, it is just stupid.
    Because there is Science to back it up.  Also, pregnant and breastfeeding are two different things.  There are many foods and medications that are advised against during pregnancy but are safe during breastfeeding.  It's fine if you don't want to drink but please don't call other women stupid for following the advice of medical professionals.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Actually, there is no scientific proof showing what is a "safe" amount to drink without harming or affecting the baby.  
  • Sorry, but if you choose to drink when there is even the chance that it could affect your child, it is stupid to me.
    http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/breastfeeding/pages/Things-to-Avoid-When-Breastfeeding.aspx
     Alcohol passes through your milk to your baby, so it’s best to avoid habitual use while breastfeeding. And while drinking beer does not increase your milk supply, as urban myth suggests, consuming alcohol of any kind may decrease the amount of milk your baby drinks. Alcohol can change the taste of your milk, and this may be objectionable to some babies.

If you choose to have an alcoholic drink, it’s best to do so just after you nurse or express milk rather than before, and allow at least two hours per drink or two before your next breastfeeding or pumping session. That way, your body will have as much time as possible to rid itself of the alcohol before the next feeding and less will reach your infant.

One alcoholic drink—the equivalent of a 12-ounce beer, 4-ounce glass of wine, or 1 ounce of hard liquor—will probably not harm your baby. However, there are concerns about long-term, repeated exposures of infants to alcohol via the mother’s milk, so moderation is definitely advised. Chronic consumption of alcohol may also reduce milk production.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards