Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What does casual attire mean?

I received an invite to the wedding that said "This will be a casual attire wedding". I'm a little lost. I tried googling the venue, but it had zero information or pictures. I spoke to the Groom and he said the ceremony will be outside if weather is permitting and dinner inside. Other than that he didn't give me a whole lot of direction. FI planned on wearing a suit, but I told him not to because I thought he would be too dressed up. He is going to wear dress pants and dress shirt instead. I was going to wear a short sheath dress with a wrap for outside. Do you think this is still too dressed up? I honestly don't know what casual attire means because casual to me is yoga pants and a t-shirt. 

Re: What does casual attire mean?

• Options
    I would be so confused....
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm going to guess people will show up in jeans and whatever top. Maybe it makes me a snob, but I would at least show up to a wedding in a sundress in warm weather or a knit dress and tights in cool weather. 

As long as your dress isn't blingy or super slinky, I think you're probably fine. 
  • Options

I hate it when people do this!!!

For me I would go in what you feel comfortable in. I would feel very weird being in jeans for a wedding even if everyone else was in jeans.

What you plan on wearing sounds great!

I received an invite to the wedding that said "This will be a casual attire wedding". I'm a little lost. I tried googling the venue, but it had zero information or pictures. I spoke to the Groom and he said the ceremony will be outside if weather is permitting and dinner inside. Other than that he didn't give me a whole lot of direction. FI planned on wearing a suit, but I told him not to because I thought he would be too dressed up. He is going to wear dress pants and dress shirt instead. I was going to wear a short sheath dress with a wrap for outside. Do you think this is still too dressed up? I honestly don't know what casual attire means because casual to me is yoga pants and a t-shirt. 

• Options
    I'd wear what you have planned.  This is a great example of why it's ridiculous to put stuff like this on an invitation.  

I'd wear what you're planning to wear most days of the week so I think it's fine - dressy enough in case it's not super casual, but not over-dressed in case some people are in jeans or something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok thanks ladies. I was a little worried everyone would side eye us if they were all in jeans, but I guess I would rather have that happen than go to a wedding in jeans myself. :)
  • Options
    I would assume people would show up in jeans and t-shirts or whatever they might wear on a normal day.  If it were me, I would try to get some more information from the bride or groom or just wear a simple dress.  
  • Options
    I think this is fine. When I think of casual, I do a nice-ish dress then FI wears khaki's and a dress shirt.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I think what you are planning to wear is fine. I'd rather be slightly overdressed than underdressed. I'd never wear jeans to a wedding.
  • Options
    I'd wear what you have planned.  This is a great example of why it's ridiculous to put stuff like this on an invitation.  

I'd wear what you're planning to wear most days of the week so I think it's fine - dressy enough in case it's not super casual, but not over-dressed in case some people are in jeans or something.
    This. 
  • Options
    yeah casual and weddings do not mix IMO, so you will see a huge variety most likely. I could never wear jeans to a wedding, so even when I was invited to a "casual wedding" where the bride and grooms told us we could wear jeans, I still wore a casual dress with boots and my husband wore khakis w/ a collared shirt.  The attire from other guests varied from jeans to a guy in a full on suit and everything in between.  But even people wearing jeans had on a nice shirt so it was not like they were just going to run errands or something, they at least looked "put together."  When I see "casual" I just assume you do not need to be in cocktail attire (guys do not have to wear a tie, etc).

Anniversary
  • Options
    I hate when people do this, I'm a BM in a wedding for which the bride announced on the wedding website that she recommends "Sunday morning casual attire"... I wasn't engaged yet (my FI proposed a month after that) and even then I knew that wasn't quite right. I wanted to ask her what the heck it was supposed to mean. Sure it makes sense for those of us who go to church, but what about people who relax at the house in their pj's on Sunday mornings?? 

OP, I think you should wear what you have planned, it sounds lovely and very appropriate for a wedding. I can't imagine wearing jeans or anything else along those lines...people and their need to tell their guests what to wear...it amazes me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Another reason why putting a dumb general dress code on invitations is a bad idea.

• Options
    I'd be confused too. If it's an October/November wedding, I'd wear a wool shift or LBD with tights. Honestly, the outfits you have in mind now sound fine. You'll probably see a large mid of outfits.
  • Options
    Rebl90 said:
    I hate when people do this, I'm a BM in a wedding for which the bride announced on the wedding website that she recommends "Sunday morning casual attire".
    Well in that case, I'd wear my FANCY pajamas. For me, casual attire is a tee shirt and jeans, but I'd never wear jeans to a wedding. Probably a cotton sundress for me and khakis and a button up for my husband.
  • Options
    We went to one this summer. I wore a lacy sundress with boots, and H wore what I call golf clothes (nice polo and khaki shorts). He was going to wear long khaki pants, but it was 100+ and fully outdoors.

Your outfits sound fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    The last "casual" wedding I went to was last summer at a forest service picnic area in the middle of the mountains that we knew we would have to park and then walk a quarter mile to reach, at 2 in the afternoon.  I wore this t-shirt knit, dress with a pair of  keen flip flops. It was exactly right for that particular cruchy, hippie, outdoorsy group of people with a jam band, sand volleyball courts, and people wading on the edge of the river with their dogs.  FI wore a pair of khakis and a button down, short sleeve plaid shirt.    

But then, we'd consider our wedding somewhat casual too which, to me, with our venue, means people wearing leggings and boots with a knit dress and wrap, if I'm thinking about the ladies.  Definitely not a stiff suit or cocktail dress w/ high heels kind of event, but also not as casual as what I just described above. I'd err on the side of some kind of dress still if you aren't completely sure what to expect.
  • Options
    I'd always round up. We went to a "come as you are wedding once." I wore a skirt and sweater, H (then BF) wore his nicest pair of jeans and a nice sweater. Guess who was the only one wearing jeans? I hadn't been to many weddings yet at the time, or I would have known better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards