Wedding Reception Forum

Theme and music clash...help!

I really need opinions. My style has always been very vintage, so it was only natural that absolutely everything I have loved in terms of dresses and decor was along those lines. It was suggested I follow through and have a great gatsby style wedding which after looking at all the pics online I am in love with everything. The only problem is I'm concerned about a clash of music with the style of the wedding. We've only just gotten engaged but we've been together for 6 years so the subject of our wedding has come up and one thing we had both always agreed on was that I was going to walk down the aisle to our fave 80s glam rock song. I know, it's not to everyone's taste but it has a lot of meaning to us.At the reception, I would also like modern music that would get everybody up and dancing and having a big party and enjoying themselves...how can I make this all work? Is it even do-able?

Re: Theme and music clash...help!

• I think as long as you just go subtle with light touches for the theme, so its not like a costume party, it will be fine. I would also stick to "early 1920s" not a great gatsby theme, because that's a really ironic theme for a wedding. (The whole book is about an extra marital affair and is deeply critical about all those parties)

• Thanks, I suppose theme is possibly the wrong word. The last thing I want is a costume party for my wedding and I don't want the guests to dress up. It's more of a feel I'm going for. If that makes sense? Yes, agreed about the great gatsby, more the decor of a google search that has inspired that, however, I find the colour schemes a bit too bright so will be going for more neutrals. Thanks for your input. 

• I think your worry is a bit ridiculous.  The music played at your wedding does not have to match your theme, like at all.  The music you pick should be meaningful to you whether it goes with your vintage feel or not.

I have been to plenty of weddings and never once have I thought, "ZOMG, this music so does not match their theme!"

You are over thinking this, big time.

• Thanks Maggie, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I am over thinking it. I am reading way to many wedding horror stories and turning absolutely every idea I have into a potential faux pas. Right, as long as i follow all etiquette rules and do not harrass my guests for money (really, a repeat of point one) I will just relax and not stress so much about these minor things. Wedding playlist sorted.
  • Thanks Maggie, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I am over thinking it. I am reading way to many wedding horror stories and turning absolutely every idea I have into a potential faux pas. Right, as long as i follow all etiquette rules and do not harrass my guests for money (really, a repeat of point one) I will just relax and not stress so much about these minor things. Wedding playlist sorted.
    Yay!  You definitely have the right frame of mind.  As long as you host your guests well and they are happy campers then do what makes you and your FI happy.  You don't want to get caught up in the little details all matching and then look back on your wedding day with some regret because you didn't have as much fun as you really wanted to.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards