Wedding Reception Forum

Timelines NEED HELP

edited October 2013 in Wedding Reception Forum
I need major help Idk what to do for a timeline. The ceremony is at 4pm forsure and we just booked our ceremony and reception site which is going to be in the same place(like same room). First problem is the person who is doing my hair and my sisters hair(maid of honor) is from about 30 mins away from ceremony/reception site...I was going to go there but I dont want my makeup and hair to fade with the hours in between the time everything starts. And how would we go from ceremony into reception which we would like immediately after? Idk when to start the dancing and toast and just everything I guess. And when to take pictures I dont want to see my groom before the wedding but I am debating on pictures after the wedding because im afraid it will take to long and guest will just be waiting around. Please help!!! picture site about 10mins away from site. Dont know what to do about the wait. Dj may not be there intil about 730 and we are having buffet served by family. If you could just give me a run down of timeline it would be so helpful. Thank you and sorry about message being so choppy. 

Re: Timelines NEED HELP

• Can your hair person come to the location to do your hair?  That would be the easiest way to solve that particular issue.

Are you taking your pix before or after the ceremony?  If you are taking your pix before, you can move from your ceremony to a spot for a receiving line, which will usher your guests into the reception room (if it's in a different room from the ceremony).  Here in mid-Michigan, your guests would find their seats in the reception area, get a drink from the bar, settle in, and your dinner would start.  After dinner, the music would begin, you'd have your first dance, then your wedding party would join you.  Father/Daughter dance, then Mother/Son dance (if you're having).  After that, open the dance floor to everyone.  After a few dances, cut your cake, toss the bouquet and garter, then get back to more dancing.  If you are having a 4:00 wedding, your reception would probably start around 5:00, with dinner around 5:30 (unless you are having a cocktail hour, which would start your dinner around 6:00, I think).  That would put your dancing around 7:00/7:30. 

I hope this helps you out.  My best suggestion, though, would be to contact a wedding coordinator.  Even if you don't hire that person for the day, you can sit with them for an hour or two (for a price, of course), and they can help youset up a timeline for your day.  Just remember to be flexible and it will all be lovely!

• I need major help Idk what to do for a timeline. The ceremony is at 4pm forsure and we just booked our ceremony and reception site which is going to be in the same place(like same room). First problem is the person who is doing my hair and my sisters hair(maid of honor) is from about 30 mins away from ceremony/reception site...I was going to go there but I dont want my makeup and hair to fade with the hours in between the time everything starts. And how would we go from ceremony into reception which we would like immediately after? Idk when to start the dancing and toast and just everything I guess. And when to take pictures I dont want to see my groom before the wedding but I am debating on pictures after the wedding because im afraid it will take to long and guest will just be waiting around. Please help!!! picture site about 10mins away from site. Dont know what to do about the wait. Dj may not be there intil about 730 and we are having buffet served by family. If you could just give me a run down of timeline it would be so helpful. Thank you and sorry about message being so choppy. 
    You can do your hair and make up at any time. If they are professional they know this needs to last all day and will make sure it won't "fade". My wedding is at 2:30 and my hair appointment is at 9:00 am. It is nothing to worry about that she is 30 minutes away.

I feel like I need some more information to help you with a timeline, but I'm going to give it a shot anyways.

4:00 - Ceremony
    4:30 - Ceremony ends- you and groom walk out first, you can either do a receiving line or you can walk out and leave
    4:30-4:45 (depending on if you have a receiving line) - leave to go take pictures
    4:45-5:45 - Your guests enjoy a cocktail hour with light refreshments while you go take your pictures
    5:45 - Bride and groom are introduced at reception
    6:00 - serve dinner
    7:15 - toasts
    7:30 - start dancing (if this is when the DJ arrives)

My main questions are: Do you plan on having a cocktail hour so your guests aren't just sitting there waiting while you go take pictures? If not, that's extremely rude and you need to take your pictures before the ceremony then.
    How will the seats be set up if the ceremony and reception are in the same room? The easiest would probably be to have everyone sit at their table during the ceremony. If you don't, then you need somewhere else for your guests to go while the venue sets up the tables for the reception.

• Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are really helpful!!! I would like to do the pictures after the wedding cuz I dont want to see my FH until the start of the ceremony im even trying to get him to stay at his mom and dads the night before lol I want to keep one tradition in place I guess and of course worried we would stay up all night the night before lol. And I also had the idea of the tables being set up and people sitting at the tables already and then have isle down between the tables...and I have thought about cocktail hour...what would you recommend for cocktails then?  
  • Cocktail hour can be almost anything. It can be really simple: drinks, cheese and crackers, veggie tray, etc. You just need to have something that your guests can drink and nibble on while you guys take pictures.
  • I was just working on my timeline as well.   Are you having a cocktail hour? that is a good time for pictures if you don't want to do them before the wedding, as well as changing room over from ceremony to reception site.   I am starting hair/makeup at 11 for a 4pm ceremony allowing for time to get back to my house to get ready and take photos with the girls, eating lunch, getting to venue, etc.  I don't want to be rushed at all.   I spoke with both the salon and my photographer before scheduling my hair appointment to find out how much time both would need, and I suggest you do the same, it was helpful for planning. 
  • Jenni1221 Yes we have decided to have cocktail hour....My hairdresser is about 30-45mins away from where the reception is and im worried 11 would not be enough time to get there get hair done and my sisters hair who is maid of honor and possibly my mom dont know yet.. im just worried we'll run outta time and be late. 
  • @mimiwilson1988 - how many people are going to be getting their hair done.  In your PP it sounds like it is just you, your sister and maybe your Mom.  If that is true then having hair start at 11am should be plenty of time to get everyone done without being rushed.  Typically hairstylists block off an hour for the bride and maybe 30-45 minutes for each BM.  So lets just say that each person takes 1 hour you will still be done hair by 2pm.

I am also still confused about the DJ timing.  Are you saying that the DJ will not arrive until 7:30pm meaning he will have to bring in and set-up all his equipment while your guests are enjoying dinner?

• Maggie0829 we have now switched djs so dont have to worry about him but he had asked if he would beable to set up the night before the wedding which was fine so it wouldnt of been durning the reception. So im revamping my timeline all together I just really need to sit down and think about it. If you would like to take a whack at it go a head PLEASE. Im so frustrated with it. Details if you want to try...Hair dresser about 30-45mins away from ceremony/reception
    Getting dressed at the site
    wedding starts at 4
    pictures after wedding preferred...site for pictures about 10mins from site
    having cocktail hour...would like to do first dance/father daughter dance/mother son dance/dollar dance/garter-bouquet toss and of course cake cutting
    toast durning dinner which is buffet style get your own kinda thing. anything i missed you can just ask. If anyone is up for it go for it...at this point in time just want to wing it which would not be good for anyone involved. :)
  • @mimiwilson1988 - I already commented on the hair situation in my previous post.  Just an added note, it doesn't matter how far away the hair stylist is from where you are getting ready, if you want to start at 11am then the stylist should be there a little bit before 11am to set-up and be ready to go.

But for the rest...

Ceremony - 4-4:30
    Cocktail hour - 4:30-5:30 (during this time you leave quickly to take your pictures and make sure you are back to the site by 5:25 to be ready for your introductions)

Now here is where you have some options...spotlight dances before dinner vs after

Spotlight dances before dinner option...starting at 5:30 and ending probably around 5:45ish
    First dance
    Father/daughter
    Mother/son
    Dinner - 5:45-7 (for the toast I would have it start once everyone has gotten their food and is back to their seat...you also need to do table visits during this time as well unless you are going to be doing a receiving line after the ceremony)
    Dancing - 7-8
    Garter toss/bouquet toss - 8-8:15
    Cake cutting - 8:15 (should only take 5 mins top)
    Dance till end of reception

Second option of spotlight dances after dinner...
    Dinner - 5:30-6:45
    Spotlight dances - 6:45-7
    Dancing - 7-8
    Tosses - 8-8:15
    Cake cutting - 8:15
    Dancing till end

• maggie0829 THANK YOU so much this really helps me out. I really really appreciate your imput. You are a lifesaver forsure. Thanks again  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards