Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Social Event Exhaustion

I was curious to what the expectation is of the bride and groom to attend other social events around the wedding week. We are hosting a welcome dinner for all, reception and brunch the next day.

We have also been receiving invitations to dinner the night before, breakfasts, lunches, etc. I am a little worried about spreading myself to thin and have no idea how calm or hectic the week of my wedding might be. What is the etiquette or expectation for accepting or declining these offers? How many other social events do you think we will have the energy for on our wedding week?

Of note, most of our guests are from out of town.

Re: Social Event Exhaustion

• Options
    I don't think there are any "rules" on what you must or must not go to- wedding events additional to the wedding are not required. 

I would accept or politely decline the invites as you see fit. In one respect, going to someone else's for breakfast/lunch/dinner might be nice for you, since you won't have to cook and can relax with (hopefully) good friends/family, but being a homebody myself, I can understand how going to so many places all the time (including any last minute wedding details or vendor appointments) is tiring in its own right. 

Also- make sure you are getting enough sleep. *I* wouldn't go out of my way to wake up early to go to someone's house for breakfast if it meant sacrificing my sleep a few days before the wedding, and relaxing to me is having a casual breakfast and slowly gearing myself up for the day. 

Good luck! 

• Options
    Definitely prioritize ahead of time. I know where all my VIPs will be in the days leading up to the wedding and I will be spending time with them. If at some point we get another offer we will be completely honest and spend time with them if we can.

Although I'm only having 30 people at my wedding and both of our families are amazing so it has been easy for us when it comes to family.

Anniversary

• Options
    Although it was fun and guests liked it, I wish that we did not have the morning after brunch. It was from 10 am to noon the Sunday morning after the wedding, and since we were hosting/organizing it we needed to be there at 9 am so we needed to check out of the nice hotel room by 8:30 am which felt REALLY early. Would have loved so much to take a bath in the huge tub and enjoy coffee on the balcony and think about what we just did with a clear sober head :)

I know you said you were already doing brunch the next day, but make it as late in the morning as you reasonably can. I would also schedule nothing else that day if you can help it. I don't know how much cleaning up/organizing/dropping off rented stuff you will have to do, but even if you don't have many tasks it will feel very nice to sit around and do nothing!
  • Options
    You're not required to accept other invitations.  Just be gracious about declining them:  "Thanks so much for the invitation, but FI and I unfortunately can't make it."  Don't give reasons.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    You're not required to accept other invitations.  Just be gracious about declining them:  "Thanks so much for the invitation, but FI and I unfortunately can't make it."  Don't give reasons.
    This.  I especially steered clear of any invitations the day and night before the wedding.  I just wanted to spend the time relaxing at home.
  • Options
    Thank you so much, guys! I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I can see that I'll need to be strategic so i don't end up exhausted!
  • Options
    people will understand if you guys are busy so do not feel obligated!  You need to time to organize and REST before the wedding so only take on things you can.  Grooms family had a dinner the Wednesday before so we went to that; and the night before there was a casual "drinks in the hotel lobby" sorta thing after the rehearsal dinner, so we stopped for a drink, said hi and pretty much cut out after that.  Other than that, I did not want to do anything but finish DYI projects and sleep!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards