Wedding Reception Forum

Centerpiece height?

I am planning on doing cylinder vases like the photo below for half of my centerpieces. Those are a bit taller than what I would use but that's the idea... I was planning on plain water inside with a floating candle, with pillars at the heights of about 5 7 9 12 and 16 inches.

My mother thinks 16 inches is too high and is too view blocking, but I've seen many photos with these tall vases and think they look great. Since I'm not planning on putting flowers inside the cylinders I thought it would be ok? The other tables will have flowers that are going to be lower...

What do you ladies think?

Re: Centerpiece height?

• I personally prefer shorter center pieces so view's aren't blocked.

• I'd be more concerned with table conversations than view.  It'd be annoying to try and talk to someone on the other side of the table but have to lean over because these vases were in the way.
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    JoanE2012 said:

I'd be more concerned with table conversations than view.  It'd be annoying to try and talk to someone on the other side of the table but have to lean over because these vases were in the way.

All of this. I personally hate tall centerpieces for this reason. It makes the entire dinner hour really annoying unless someone at the table is bold enough to put it on the floor (which I have also seen-do you really want to have your centerpieces on the floor?). I'd vote skipping the taller centerpieces.

ETA and this still applies even if it's just water in them. Water will still obstruct views so your guests will have to lean around them. If you don't believe me try looking through a water bottle. No one wants a blurry view during table conversation.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!

• NYCBruin said:
    I'd be more concerned with table conversations than view.  It'd be annoying to try and talk to someone on the other side of the table but have to lean over because these vases were in the way.
    All of this. I personally hate tall centerpieces for this reason. It makes the entire dinner hour really annoying unless someone at the table is bold enough to put it on the floor (which I have also seen-do you really want to have your centerpieces on the floor?). I'd vote skipping the taller centerpieces. ETA and this still applies even if it's just water in them. Water will still obstruct views so your guests will have to lean around them. If you don't believe me try looking through a water bottle. No one wants a blurry view during table conversation.
    Ditto

Yes, the pictures are beautiful but they don't show the people leaning to the side to try to talk around them.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I prefer eiffel vases or something so that I can see the person I am talking to across the table.  I also like higher centerpieces because it makes the room as a whole look more grand somehow. 
  • They are beautiful. I prefer short center pieces, though. I like to see who I am talking to.
  • Ok, so then what is the height I should max out at? 12 inches?
  • My florist gave me the general rule that they shouldn't be any taller than if you placed your elbow on the table and put your fingers up straight. And then the opposite if you're giong to do a taller centerpiece, they should be above your finger tips. So basically either under a finger-tip to elbow height or over it. I hope that makes sense?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards