Wedding Reception Forum
Options

ideas for a fun reception-freaking out!

So my fi and I are having our reception in kind of a small space and we aren't having a dj. We plan on creating a play list on our ipod to encourage dancing. We want a fun reception and I'm getting super stressed that no oneWill enjoy themselves. We need ideas on things to do to make the space seem fun or things to do that are fun. We are having less than 50 people. The space has a restaurant and bar upstairs but I think it might be tacky to have ohr guests go to the main level. There is also tvs in the space we can utilize.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ideas for a fun reception-freaking out!

• Options
    Please don't plan activities.  I have no idea why you mentioned TV, there is nothing "fun" about a bunch of people sitting around just watching TV at your reception.  If you want people to dance then make sure you get out there and dance.  The most fun weddings I've been to are the ones where the bride stays on the dance floor most of the night.  The less fun ones are where she just sits at her table most of the time.  People seem to take their cue from the bride in my experience.  

Will you have a bar in your reception room?  If not the word will probably get out that there is one upstairs and you will have people leaving the reception to go to it.  This could make your reception less fun because people will be in and out and will stop to talk with each other outside of the reception room, I've seen this happen.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    People should be able to entertain themselves with dancing and adult conversations. If there are TVs in the space, make sure they're turned off (or play a slideshow on a loop). Even though some people aren't fans, line dances like the Cha Cha Slide usually get people on the dance floor. 

Make sure your playlist is awesome and you should be good. 
  • Options
    No activities, please. And ditto on the TV situation. Unless you are playing a slideshow on a loop, don't have those on.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Please don't plan activities.  This isn't a kid's birthday party-people can entertain themselves well enough with dancing and conversation.
  • Options
    They can drink, mingle, and dance.  They don't need other activities.  
  • Options
    First off, I mentioned the tvs because we can play a slideshow on them. I, in no way, implied we were going to be playing tv shows or movies. That would be idiotic. I wasn't thinking activities as in games like pin the tail on the donkey. I was thinking such things as the shoe game. I guess I should have specified I wasn't talking about having my wedding like a kid's birthday party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It seems like lighting and music are definitely the two most important things! Lighting can change the entire mood and make people feel like they're somewhere special! Maybe rent or buy (amazon?) some fun party lighting!

• Options
    I just looked up the shoe game because I've never seen it done. It looks like only 3 people (the bride, groom, and designated question asker) participate and everyone else just sits around and watches.  It does not sound fun to me.  That's when I'm hitting the bar or the restroom.  

You can play a slideshow on the TVs but it won't make your reception "fun".  People will look at it and say "awww" but that's it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    All you need is food, booze, music, and people.
  • Options
    The shoe game is dumb and really boring for guests.  It is not cute and not entertaining.  

You do not need activities to keep guests entertained.  Good food, booze and music is all you need.

• Options
    I agree with others - there's no need for planned activities/games. People will naturally mingle and socialize. If you're only using an iPod, keep in mind that you won't have an emcee
  • Options
    I think just upbeat music to keep people moving and you up dancing encouraging other's to join you is the only think you need to do.  
  • Options
    You need to focus on the details. The right music, with the right mix of fast and slow, at the right volume. The right lighting. The right amount of food and drinks, with the food spaced just the right amount of time apart so people aren't bored waiting for the entree, and also don't feel rushed.

Aside from all that, just talk to you VIPs. Your best friends, your family, etc., and let them know what your concerns are. You're afraid no one will dance? Ask them to PLEASE dance and to encourage a dancing atmosphere. 

Honestly, just really focus on your environment. You don't need activities, you simply need an environment conducive to the party you want to thow. 
  • Options
    Activities in the right setting would work, but in normal circumstances, no, it doesnt. 

Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• Options
    Weddings with 'activities' and or 'games' are terrible. I would get a DJ if you're worried about people having fun.
  • Options

If you can spring for it, get a DJ. Here is the reason why, a good DJ will have a large variety of music. They'll play a good variety but notice what songs really seem to get people going and play more that style. That is the downside of doing a preset play list. If you like current dance music & set up all the music for that, but the majority of your guests are more into 80's & 90's music, well you can't adjust your preset play list, but a DJ can change it up. Add good food, good company, and it will be a blast.

• Options

I see a lot of people are against the TV idea, but I'll be setting up a lounge area with a TV showing the March Madness game of the night. Most people I've told about my plans for the wedding have singled that out as their favorite plan of mine, which isn't altogether surprising since missing sporting events is often a sore point for people

• Options

I see a lot of people are against the TV idea, but I'll be setting up a lounge area with a TV showing the March Madness game of the night. Most people I've told about my plans for the wedding have singled that out as their favorite plan of mine, which isn't altogether surprising since missing sporting events is often a sore point for people

Just don't be surprised if you lose a bunch of people to the game.  Meaning they will spend the night watching the game instead of attending you reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No TV you can watch TV at home.

• Options
    I have never been to a wedding with activities other than drinking and dancing with my friends.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards