Wedding Reception Forum

Venues in New Jersey traveling from Brooklyn, New York

Hello all!  
I am wondering if anyone out there can suggest wedding venues in New Jersey that are not too deep in Jersey.  I am getting married in Brooklyn, New York but toying with the idea of having the reception in New Jersey since I love the idea that the guests can go back to a hotel afterwards and not worry about driving after the reception.  I am not too familiar with New Jersey and what are the closest towns driving from Brooklyn/Staten Island.  

If anyone has any suggestions of towns to look at or venues that would be great! Thanks :)

Re: Venues in New Jersey traveling from Brooklyn, New York

•  You can post on your local board, or on a New Jersey board, & you may find that more people have some suggestions for you! 

Good luck!

*J
  • I don't get it. There are hotels in Brooklyn. Can't they stay there? Having everyone drive/take the subway to New Jersey is a big hassle. You could try the W Hoboken or Liberty House in Jersey City, but I'd stick with something closer to your reception.
  • @starmoon44 i think she was looking for a venue outside of nyc for after her wedding. 

mrehberg is there nothing in nyc that you have fallen in love with in terms of a reception venue are you looking for something with lots of land and great views? something the city does not have? i would make sure if you are choosing something in nj that its no more than a 30-40 minute drive from the city you dont want your guest driving all over the place to get to point a to b. you would want your hotel closest to the reception venue
  • No one wants to drive to Brooklyn for the ceremony, then to Jersey for the reception. As a guest I don't want to have to drive more than 20minutes in between venues. In rural areas where the nearest venue is 40 or so minutes away, I don't mind. But Brooklyn isn't rural. Your guests are going to get annoyed sitting in traffic driving passed perfectly good venues on their way to the one you picked out in New Jersey. So have the ceremony and reception in Brooklyn, or Staten Island, or New Jersey. But don't make people take a tour of the tri-state area in between. These people are your guests. They are taking their time to spend a day with you. Don't make them regret it.
  • mrehberg said:
    Hello all!  
    I am wondering if anyone out there can suggest wedding venues in New Jersey that are not too deep in Jersey.  I am getting married in Brooklyn, New York but toying with the idea of having the reception in New Jersey since I love the idea that the guests can go back to a hotel afterwards and not worry about driving after the reception.  I am not too familiar with New Jersey and what are the closest towns driving from Brooklyn/Staten Island.  

If anyone has any suggestions of towns to look at or venues that would be great! Thanks :)
    Keep the ceremony and the reception in the same borough.  Driving to NJ for the reception from Brooklyn would be awful.
  • There are hotels in Brooklyn.  You can set up a room block at the Wythe Hotel.  There's also a Sheraton right across the Brooklyn Bridge I believe.  The Wythe Hotel can also do a reception, but it's super pricey.  Another option for a reception in Brooklyn is MyMoon in Williamsburg.  I agree that I would be annoyed to have to drive through NYC traffic to get to NJ after a ceremony in Brooklyn.
  • I've been to a couple of weddings at the Venetian, it's beautiful and not too far from NYC.  That's the only venue I've been to in NJ though, I can't personally recommend any others.  Maybe post on an NJ board?

I live in NYC and almost every wedding I've attended, the church is in the home borough (Brooklyn or Queens) and the reception is between 30-60 minutes away in Long Island, occasionally NJ.  I'm not the kind of person, much less wedding guest, that gets offended or thrown off by a drive, it's just part of the wedding day.  My family and friends feel the same way, no one seems to mind traveling from borough to borough.  I'm assuming your guests are easy-going too, that's great.  Happy planning! :) 

• eileenrob said:

I've been to a couple of weddings at the Venetian, it's beautiful and not too far from NYC.  That's the only venue I've been to in NJ though, I can't personally recommend any others.  Maybe post on an NJ board?

I live in NYC and almost every wedding I've attended, the church is in the home borough (Brooklyn or Queens) and the reception is between 30-60 minutes away in Long Island, occasionally NJ.  I'm not the kind of person, much less wedding guest, that gets offended or thrown off by a drive, it's just part of the wedding day.  My family and friends feel the same way, no one seems to mind traveling from borough to borough.  I'm assuming your guests are easy-going too, that's great.  Happy planning! :) 

It is fine that you don't mind, but it is still an unreasonable thing to ask. The recpetion thanks the guests for attending their ceremony. It is rude to ask people to drive an hour to go get their thank your present. Just because people don't mind or will forgive being inconvenienced doesn't mean it is nice to go ahead an inconvenience them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards