Michigan-Detroit

Photography Advice

I am getting married in May 2014 in Livonia, and my budget for photography is $1,600.  My WISH is that I could get my ceremony and reception covered by a PROFESSIONAL photographer, with retouching, a CD of my photos, and an album included in that price.  I am able to get that at Fox Portrait Studios, the company that did my mom's photos 20 years ago, but I can only find like four reviews on them and they are VERY MIXED-- and when I went to the shop I thought some of their photos looked a little blurry.  Now my mom is hung up on Fox and won't help me find any other options, and I am really not comfortable booking them.  I need HELP.  Do you know of anyone who has a package that includes these things in that price range?  Is my budget unrealistic?  Please be kind, I am trying to do all this by myself and I am overwhelmed. :(

I am not keen on the idea of having to get my own prints and am not sure if my mom will pay for a package that doesn't include them, but it seems like if I were willing to do that it might open up my options, but I do not want to pay that much money and have to go pay for Walmart quality prints.. so I am also interested in advice about where I can get professional quality prints if that is going to be my only option.  My sister is an amateur photographer and recommends mpix, and the price is certainly right, but I haven't gotten to see the prints for myself.  If I buy prints separately, the cost of the photographer + prints still has to fall under $1,600.

Re: Photography Advice

• We used Amy at Pure Amour Photography. Her base price is $800 I believe for 5 hours and a cd of all photos, all retouched. All pricing is on her website, just google it. We recently got our photos back and our family is as happy as we are with them. I feel we got an incredible value for the quality and she was great to work with. We didn't order any prints through her, though the costs were reasonable I believe. For general printing, she shared that she thought Costco had the best quality prints. I ordered our wedding album through Milk books and totally happy with it. If you make it yourself through an outside site (like snapfish, etc), you can include snapshots from your guests as well. Amy may be booked, but it would at least check her out. You want to be totally confident with your choice, no matter who you go with and you should be able to find a couple options in your budget.
  • I emailed Amy last night and she is unfortunately booked already. :( If anybody else has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I know so many people who have gotten married recently who had horrible experiences with their photographer, I really need somebody good before everyone worth having is booked. :(
  • I checked my spreadsheet I listed all of the photographers I found and here are some other suggestions. We didn't meet with any of these people, so I can't vouch for them. Green Holly Wedding ramy Photography Marci Curtis Argyle Photography 114 Productions Lois Pierpoint The Camera Chick Amy Pruder Captured Couture My Pic Photography Nick Sadowski Sam Fawaz Alex J Photography Just google them or search Facebook for each of them. Hunting for a photographer sucked because it was the item I cared most about, so hopefully one of these will be a good lead for you if you really want to find another option. You can always meet with the one your mom likes again and ask to see more galleries and talk through your concerns and address them.
  • Karen fodos she's about 1350$ but it included a lot. All day photography both you and fl will get a photographer. It included engagement pics with a album also a CD. The wedding pics wit CD and album. Shes super nice. Check her out on Facebook
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got married in August 2011. At that time we hired a photographer who did it as a hobby, but his work was good. We started with engagement pictures from him first, as an "audition" so to speak. They turned out great, so we used him for our wedding.

I think it was $700 for his time and the CD's, plus unlimited access to the pictures he put up on the web with a password. He wrote an authorization letter for us to use his pictures. This is important because photo print places will require it.

I uploaded several from my computer to Costco's site, and made photo books for us and family, and had enlarged prints made as well for larger photo frames. They turned out marvelously. If you have a Costco membership I highly recommend this. Several times a year they have price reductions on prints & photo books.

• I chose Town Square Photo. They are in the Lansing area but travel all over. Jeff worked with our budget to customize a package for us. I really wanted 2 photographers (Jeff and his wife Alicia work together a lot) and stayed under your budget so I am sure he will work with you to get what you want . http://www.townsquarephoto.com

good luck

• Check out Studio .4 Photography! Great service and Great price!!

We are getting married in May 2014 and we are using Julie. Her price was around $1,200 and that includes engagement pictures, touch ups, full day coverage and all of the rights to your pictures!

• We used Daniely Syphax Harris for our pics. Does all of that. HIs prices range $1200-1900 and you get to pic upgrades.

Here is is facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/danielsharrisimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards