Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What do you spend wedding money on?

(Also posted in etiquette)

When you receive cash as a wedding present, what is it appropriate to spend that money on? We were thinking of saving it to help pay for our honeymoon about 3 months after the wedding, or do we need to use it to finish buying things off our registry, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Re: What do you spend wedding money on?

• Options
    Use it for whatever you want.  If someone gives you money, they want you to spend it how you see fit, whether that's putting it into savings, going out for a nice dinner, buying house stuff, or paying off student loans.  
  • Options
    If you told people you were saving up for something specific, it would be nice of you to put the gift towards that and mention it in your thank you note. But no, you don't have to use it to finish the registry.
  • Options
    If they wanted to get you something off your registry, they would have gotten you something off your registry. They gave you cash so you have a say in what you want to use it for. So go ahead and use it for what you want.
  • Options
    We spent some of ours on a dining room table and chairs and other furniture and household things. We wrote that in the TY cards.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I really can't recall what we spent the money we received on.  I think some of it went to an entertainment unit.  Some of it went as spending cash on our honeymoon.  Some of it was used on buying paint for our morning room.  We just put it all in our joint savings account and used whatever was in there whenever we wanted to buy something.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to spend money given to you.

• Options
    we used some of it to purchase our honeymoon flights (trip was 3 months after the wedding). and the rest is in our savings to be put towards the down payment on our house.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We used ours to help fund H's Roth IRA for that year. We had already funded mine (I was working at the time and H was still in school so we did his second - we figure anything that goes to his while in school is gravy), but his came up a bit short.  I got it in about 3 days before the deadline.  We didn't write about that in our thank you notes since we were concerned people would view it as something that was just for H - but that's not how we view money, so we felt like it was a good use of those funds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Since we had just bought a new home, we used it to purchase blinds, and a washer and dryer, and stuff like that. But I agree that there is no right or wrong way to spend the money.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards