May 2014 Weddings
Options

When Did You Know?

So I was just wondering, but when did you ladies know that your FI was "the one"?  Here is my story:

FI and I went on vacation together after only being officially together for a month (we met just 2 months prior to actually dating).  This vacation included an 8 hour car trip south, so this wasn't some little tiny 2 hr drive somewhere.  Anyways, when we got our hotel room, we realized we had the handicap room, which meant we had this giant walk in shower.  Totally excited I walk in and exclaim "Wow! You could dance in here!" and as I start moving, FI comes up and starts waltzing with me.  Never once did he walk away ashamed of my child like ways, or even gave some terrible comment.  He instead danced with me, and that is the exact moment that I knew he was the one for me :)

Also I just wanted to let you ladies know that you all are awesome and really positive and upbeat.  I basically only come on the May 2014 board because I know that 9 times out of 10 its positive things on our board.

Anniversary

Re: When Did You Know?

• Options
    I want to start by saying that I feel the EXACT same way about our board! I love how inclusive and upbeat it is (to steal an adjective from @Kristen625 haha), and it's definitely one of the only ones I go on. Alright, now... I don't know if I had a defining moment when I first knew he was The One, but I know it was very, very early on (within 2 - 4 weeks of us dating). However, I didn't want to rush it because I had just gotten out of a 2-year relationship, and there's a large age difference between FI and I, so I wanted to really be sure before I let on that I felt that way. But over the last 4 and 1/2 years, I've had that "you're so the one for me" moment over and over again, which I love :) It mostly happens when we talk about having kids and growing old together.

• Options
    Just curious, @pumpkinsandturkeys what is your age difference.  FI and I are just over 9 years apart.  I'm 28 and he is 37 but we are totally and completely compatible.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're 12.5 years apart, @Kristen625 -- I'll be 26 in about a week and a half, and he's 38. We started dating when I was 21 and he was just about to turn 34 (and most people thought we were crazy until they actually spent time with us together haha). I've always dated older -- not out of preference, but just out of happenstance. The guy I dated before FI was 8 or 9 years older than I was, and the one before that was about 6 years older. Most people have no idea that there's over a decade between us because he looks so much younger than his age, and I've always acted older than I am.

• Options
    Yeah same here.  We have been together just over a year, and he doesn't look his age at all.  Most people think he is my age.  Heck sometimes I forget how old he is! :D
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder if he's secretly younger than I am and just playing a practical joke on me... Haha! I think a lot of it has to do with his mum passing away when he was a teenager, so they pretty much grew up with just his dad and 4 boys, which made them all grow up a little slower, from what I've seen. FI and his twin are the oldest, his middle brother didn't get married until he was 33 (after dating her for 10 years!) and the youngest is almost 32 and still acts like a teen. Ah well haha. I'm just glad that FI entered the grown-up world and didn't make me wait 10 years, too! :)

• Options

Agreed that we are the best board for being pleasant, helpful, inclusive and overall friendly and happy with each other lol! Other boards could learn a thing or two from us!  ;D

I don't know if there was a moment.....I know before we started dating our mutual friend/coworker said we gave each other a "look" and that's how he knew we liked one another lol.....I still don't know what type of look I gave FI!  I know FI knew right away - he said "I love you" after only the first month, I waited till 4 months as, like @pumpkinsandturkeysI had gotten out of a relationship and just wanted to make sure I wasn't rushing like the previous one.  And I too have had many of those "you're so the one for me" moments over the 6 years that we've been together. 

There's also an age difference of 6 years between us; I'll be 26 in Nov. and he turned 32 this past Aug. Although sometimes I swear he's like a child still with all of his "action figures" *cough*cough*toys*cough*cough* and video games...oh and he still likes watching Saturday morning cartoons lol.

Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I knew when he didn't pressure me to be in a relationship and stuck by my side thru all the craziness.

I'll give a little back story so it makes sense...

I was previously engaged.  Only for 3 months before my ex cheated on me with a girl from work.  I was really devastated.  Friends and family were there for me and everyone that knew a "great guy" tried setting me up.  I was too much of a mess to give anyone a real chance.  Eventually I was at a point where I thought I'd never find someone.  Most of my friends were newly married so the bar scene was difficult.  I was terrified to try online dating.

FI is an IT guy for my company.  (2 different locations...2 different departments...and we don't have an "onsite" person)  We were having numerous internet/email issues. (like 5-8 times a day)  So I had to constantly call and ask him to help me get the office up and running.  One of the days he said "I'm going into a meeting take my BBM pin so you can BBM me while I'm not at my desk and I can still help you".(pretty slick on his part)  There was no looking back.  We would spend hours upon hours just talking.  About anything and everything.  He was truly there for me.

We eventually hung out at a bar one night for a coworkers birthday.  A little bit of liquid courage later we kissed.  A week later we went on our first "date".  (We were going to a hockey game.  I had convinced myself we were just 2 friends hanging out and it wasn't a date).  6 months (and a lot of denial about liking him) we never had the "talk".  One night I finally decided to initiate the conversation.  I said "I know we've become good friends but I'm starting to have feelings and I don't want to get hurt again.  I think I need some space."

He said "I was hoping you felt the same way as I did.  I know you've gone thru a lot and I didn't want to pressure or rush you into anything."

I felt such a relief.  At that moment I felt like he had loved me unconditionally.  Most guys would have run away.  He did anything and everything he could to help me get thru rough times.

And that's when I knew he was a keeper :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I probably knew somewhere inside pretty early on, but maybe 3 months after we started dating I knew for sure?
    We met at school and I was just coming out of a long, serious relationship and I was looking for friends, maybe something casual.
    I met him and we was great to talk to - I'd never had conversation that good and interesting with anyone else.
    Then we started dating and it got fairly serious fast but I was also in denial. Then about 3 months in some big and bad stuff happened and going through that together just made me sure.
    We got engaged 10 months in.
  • Options

I knew very VERY shortly after I started dating him. We had been dating MAYBE a week/week and a half. One night while I was at my apartment I heard some (commotion?) out in the hallway. I looked out my peep hole to find this guy (who I had some awkward encounters with, and had some creepy vibes from) trying to look IN my peep hole. He then started to look through the cracks between the door the door frame. Luckily he wasn't trying to GET in my apartment. But CREEPY right?

Well it was like 12:30 in the morning, and I didn't know who to call (which yes, I realized NOW I should have called the Police) so I ended up calling him. He immediately came over, stayed on the phone with me the whole time until he got there, and the next day went with me to my landlord, put in my 2 month notice, and he spent every waking minute for the next month and a half trying to help me find a new apartment, and going with me to look at apartments... the whole thing.

I mean maybe it would be that easy of a solution, and like second nature to a lot of guys to do that, but it my mind he could have not cared, or just let me figure it out myself. I mean, we were only dating a week! I had never dated a guy who went through THAT MUCH to help me out with something (mind you, I was also never put into that situation before).

• Options
    I have actually been trying to figure this out for a awhile now - I ordered this custom sign from a shop on Etsy (shameless plug - WhatchaWantDesigns - so cute ) and one of the questions she asked was when we knew.  I asked FI the other day and he had a really cute response and that's when I realized that I didn't. I feel like I knew he was the one immediately, but that's boring and it feels too cliche.  

We were set up by a mutual friend, a guy that I work with, who got tired of hearing me come in to the office with countless stories of my first dates gone wrong.  I always had ridiculously high hopes and then they'd get crushed.  So finally, he asked me to go out with his best friend, who he'd known since first grade.  He said, "You guys are like the same person.  You'll either fall in love and get married or you'll never see him again.  But it's worth a shot."  

I told my friend it was fine to give this guy my number and that night after work, I got a text.  It turned into hours worth of texts and in the morning, I was leaving to go on vacation with my mom.  He mentioned he was nervous that I'd meet someone on vacation and that he didn't want to miss a chance to go on a date with me, so I called "dibs" and told him the same went for him - no meeting anyone else until I got back (that's his "I knew it moment" - he loved "dibs").  We kept texting the entire time I was away and I think I knew he was the one when he referenced something I had said a few days earlier in a conversation we were having.  I was like, wow this guy really listens.  The conversation was always so effortless, which I guess most conversations had through text are.  But we upgraded to phone calls after that and finally had our first date, which was just the icing on the cake after about three weeks of talking.   After that, we were official.  But I think I always knew. 
  • Options
    I love all these stories ladies!  Each one is different and special!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i think i just knew.i dont know if i ever had the AHA moment.i guess i never imagined my life without him once he was in it.i cant picture it even now.weve been together for 4 years now and weve been through ALOT of really bad times.Fighting and almost moving out or breaking up.it was really hard for a while.but we got over that hump and are so much closer than ever before.i dont know what it was but it was and i am so glad for it.he makes my world turn.ive written to him in a diary since the beginning of our relationship and re-reading soem things that happened was so awefl.but it made us who we are now and im grateful for even the bad stuff becasue now i know we have the kind of love that can withstand it all.I am giving my diaries ive written to him as a wedding gift from me.it started out that way and crazy enough.were actually getting married now.i want him to have that forever,even if im gone and hes still here,hell still have me some way and my words from my heart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards