Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wording for Second Reception Invites

Hi,

I know I may get in trouble with this one, but I got married in the spring and had a traditional wedding / reception.  It was absolutely perfect and we are not "re-doing" anything.  However, my DH's family and lots of friends live overseas and many of them were not able to attend.  When we visit his parents next they would like to have a celebratory dinner at a venue for their family / family friends / etc.  

I will not be wearing my white dress and it's not a second wedding, but is another reception I guess?  We refer to it mainly as a dinner party, but our marriage is definitely the occasion.  

I'm trying to come up with wording for the invitations to help out his parents (English isn't their first language) which conveys this is not an invitation to a wedding but is to celebrate a wedding.  Does anyone have wording that they used or could suggest?

Thanks!

Re: Wording for Second Reception Invites

• Options
    SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited October 2013
    "Please join Mr. and Mrs. Husbands Parents Last Name in celebrating the marriage of ShannonEM and ShannonEM's Husband that took place on [insert date here]"

ETA: Or something along those lines. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Sorry, but I'd leave the wedding out of it.

The most I'd do is something like:

"Please join us for a homecoming dinner party.

November 16, 2013
    6:00
    XYZ Restaurant

Hosted by Husbands Name, and his wife, Shannon."

This will provide some emphasis that he is recently married without placing too much emphasis on the fact that you were already married months ago and these people either weren't invited or were unable to attend.
  • Options

This is a dinner party, being given in your honour to introduce you to your husband's family friends. That is a perfectly valid (and quite customary) kind of celebration, in and of itself.

If it is a formal dinner, the hostess (your mother-in-law) will issue formal invitations. The third-person wording is quite correct, and when there are guests of honour the line "To meet Mr and Mrs Guest-of-Honour" or "In honour of Mr and Mrs Guest-of-Honour" is inserted ahead of the names of the hosts. So you would have:

To meet Mr Thomas EM and Ms Sharon EM
    Mr and Mrs Vladislav EM
    request the pleasure of the company of
    Mr and Mrs Guest
    to dinner
    on Saturday the thirty-first of November
    at eight o'clock

If it is a less formal dinner party, the proper invitation is worded as a simple social note and reads something like:

"Dear Mary and Bob,
    Tom and his new wife Sharon are in town next month and we would love you to come over for dinner to meet them, on Saturday 31 November at 8 p.m.
    Love,
    Katya"

• Options

This is a dinner party, being given in your honour to introduce you to your husband's family friends. That is a perfectly valid (and quite customary) kind of celebration, in and of itself.

If it is a formal dinner, the hostess (your mother-in-law) will issue formal invitations. The third-person wording is quite correct, and when there are guests of honour the line "To meet Mr and Mrs Guest-of-Honour" or "In honour of Mr and Mrs Guest-of-Honour" is inserted ahead of the names of the hosts. So you would have:

To meet Mr Thomas EM and Ms Sharon EM
    Mr and Mrs Vladislav EM
    request the pleasure of the company of
    Mr and Mrs Guest
    to dinner
    on Saturday the thirty-first of November
    at eight o'clock

If it is a less formal dinner party, the proper invitation is worded as a simple social note and reads something like:

"Dear Mary and Bob,
    Tom and his new wife Sharon are in town next month and we would love you to come over for dinner to meet them, on Saturday 31 November at 8 p.m.
    Love,
    Katya"

CMGr, are you back in disguise?!

This is much too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards