African American Weddings
Options

My wedding is starting on time...

Or close to it!  LOL. I just threatened my sister.  She's habitually late.  My ceremony is only 30 minutes.  If she's an hour plus late which is her habit she will miss it.  I really really really wish she would be on time because i'm light on family as it is. Deep down in my heart I know she won't be there probably til 8-9 p.m.  My ceremony is at 6:00 p.m. Sighhhhhhh......

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My wedding is starting on time...

• Options
    Oh my word!  I hope she wouldn't do you like that.....praying for sissy's on-timeness!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • Options

I had to stress the same thing.  I told the habitual offenders if you are late you will miss it.  AND we had 10 people walk up (we got married outside), right as we jumped the broom!!  How are you late to a 6:30 pm wedding?! Never understood that, so rude and it was their loss for sure. 

Don't stress about it, they should make an attempt to be on time and shouldn't be mad if they get cussed out for missing it.  You have enough things to worry/stress about as it is.

• Options
    I hope she makes the first opportunity to be an early bird. Is she doing anything special in wedding? Could she help you get ready for ceremony? That way you can kind of guide her to be on time. Maybe give her a task and tell her to be there at an extra early time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Soon to Be Mrs Jay, I'm afraid if I give her a task that would be too much pressure. If she's late and too late for a task, I fear she might not come at all...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @marsm4, Oh Okay. I am praying she do not disappoint and comes on time. I am praying that everything will work out just fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was adamant that my wedding start on time.  I told my coordinator that as long as the groom and officiant were there, we were to start promptly at 10am and nobody else would be allowed in.  That was because I am generally a stickler for respecting people's time but mainly because the ceremony was outside and I wanted to get done while the morning was cool so the guests wouldn't be uncomfortable. 

All four ... yep, that's the number 4...of my SILs (among several others) were late and either watched from the balcony or didn't see it at all.  Seriously, people...It's your BROTHER's wedding!!  I didn't even realize it until I saw all the empty seats in the pics and narrowed down who wasn't there.  I was PISSED because 1. again, it's your BROTHER's wedding and 2. we had to pay for those chairs, and there were more than a few empty.  Matter of fact, I'm still a little salty almost a year and a half later....lol  On the other hand, Hubby didn't seem to notice himself or care once I pointed it out.  In retrospect, I still would've insisted that we start on time.  I just would have taken into consideration that a lot of y'all's cousins are late and ordered less chairs. lol  ;-)

I will add that we only had three actual no-shows at the reception, so there's that.

I said all that to say, I didn't think to have the "don't be late" chat with people beforehand.  At least you're on top of it and that's half the battle.  Maybe you could remind her that it's really important that she be there since your family representation will be lite and then "assign" somebody to specifically stick close to her that day to keep her on task and on time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pearls687 said:

I was adamant that my wedding start on time.  I told my coordinator that as long as the groom and officiant were there, we were to start promptly at 10am and nobody else would be allowed in.  That was because I am generally a stickler for respecting people's time but mainly because the ceremony was outside and I wanted to get done while the morning was cool so the guests wouldn't be uncomfortable. 

All four ... yep, that's the number 4...of my SILs (among several others) were late and either watched from the balcony or didn't see it at all.  Seriously, people...It's your BROTHER's wedding!!  I didn't even realize it until I saw all the empty seats in the pics and narrowed down who wasn't there.  I was PISSED because 1. again, it's your BROTHER's wedding and 2. we had to pay for those chairs, and there were more than a few empty.  Matter of fact, I'm still a little salty almost a year and a half later....lol  On the other hand, Hubby didn't seem to notice himself or care once I pointed it out.  In retrospect, I still would've insisted that we start on time.  I just would have taken into consideration that a lot of y'all's cousins are late and ordered less chairs. lol  ;-)

I will add that we only had three actual no-shows at the reception, so there's that.

I said all that to say, I didn't think to have the "don't be late" chat with people beforehand.  At least you're on top of it and that's half the battle.  Maybe you could remind her that it's really important that she be there since your family representation will be lite and then "assign" somebody to specifically stick close to her that day to keep her on task and on time.

*applause sign*

there some tag a longs who are already planning in their head to miss your ceremony, I was gonna say that if there's anybody who may not know the time (even though it's on the invitation) lie about it.  If my sis was notoriously 2 hours late I wouldnt've sent her a card I would've told her to be at church at 3:30.  If it's too late for that girl I'd employ T's speech (it sounds like you already told her though lol) - this day here? happening once, you might wanna catch it live.
  • Options

We tried that once with our other sister's graduation.  We told her it was two hours earlier than it was supposed to be.... Yes, she was still late. Two years ago she showed up to Thanksgiving dinner at 11:00 p.m!  It's crazy!

Honestly I just need to just prepare my heart for her missing it and hoping she comes at all.  That's really the reality of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was late to a wedding last weekend. I felt so bad. I didnt mean to be, work emergency, and was hoping they would start late.

I hope she doesnt show up late. Your sister, is a pretty important person.
  • Options
    Can your sister sleep over at your place? Sometimes you have to be people on lockdown. I believe all of my wedding party is staying at the hotel the night before our wedding.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• Options
    @minsu5 just reading that question gave me hives.  My sister cannot sleep over the night before the wedding, having her around me all day until the wedding would stress me the eff out for real.  Sad but true.  As much as I want her to be there, I will not sacrifice my peace of mind and piece of mind to have her there.  Thanks for the suggestion though :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    marsm4 said:
    @minsu5 just reading that question gave me hives.  My sister cannot sleep over the night before the wedding, having her around me all day until the wedding would stress me the eff out for real.  Sad but true.  As much as I want her to be there, I will not sacrifice my peace of mind and piece of mind to have her there.  Thanks for the suggestion though :-)

Hmm, then maybe a plan B is called for. Give her an hour notice before her expected arrival, and if she's late, you can either have a stand in (though expensive considering purchasing another dress) or have one less groomsman. I feel you, though, on family. That's why I only have 1, maybe 2, people from my family coming to my wedding.

• Options
    @minsu5 , oh she's not in the wedding. I'm not a masochist. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wait, she ain't in the wedding?! Oh, then you're all good. She grown and have an invitation. Whatever she misses, she can see it in a photograph.

• Options
    LMAO @minsu5. I was about ask if she was in the wedding...but never mind.
  • Options
    In my heart I really want her there for the whole thing. But I know that's like hoping to see Santa....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards