Chit Chat
Options

Garter toss: traditional or kid-friendly?

I read somewhere about someone choosing to do an ankle bracelet instead of a garter to keep the garter toss more kid friendly.  Some could view the groom reaching that far up the bride's skirt in front of kids as scandalous.  But I'm also a traditionalist and want to do it the "normal" way.  I was thinking put the toss garter right above my knee so its not that far up.  Or is that still too much?  I'm thinking an ankle bracelet on me would be irritating as I don't normally wear them.  Thoughts?

Re: Garter toss: traditional or kid-friendly?

• Options
    Phew!  For a moment, I thought this post was looking for ways to incorporate kids into this tradition.
  • Options
    I would put it right above your knee for sure. And from my experience at weddings, kids aren't really paying much attention to what's going on. They're enjoying cake, drinks, dancing, etc.
  • Options
    I would put it right above your knee for sure. And from my experience at weddings, kids aren't really paying much attention to what's going on. They're enjoying cake, drinks, dancing, etc.

Ugh, stuck in the box... But yes, this.

I went to plenty of weddings as a kid (my dad's family is HUGE) and I can honestly say that nothing that happened at any of them had any kind of scandalous effect on me. In fact the only one I even remember much off was when I was already in high school, and then all I remember is that the ceremony venue was very quaint and it burned down a week or two after the wedding.

I can say with some certainty though that at at least one of the weddings, the kids (under 10) were packed off to bed straight after dinner and didn't stay for the bouquet/garter tosses etc. But that's a done thing here (at least in my hometown) which it may not be where you are. There are major etiquette differences between SA and the US.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    Oh my word I'd never incorporate kids into that, haha!  Yeah it is only for a second or two so we'll probably just go the old fashioned way.  Thanks for all the ideas!
  • Options
    We did both a bouquet toss and garter toss at my wedding.

I didn't single out anyone and invited anyone who wanted to participate to do so.

I had my garter right above my knee, and I simply lifted my skirt a little so he could slide it off my leg and then he just tossed it to the guys who wanted to try and catch it.

Awkward that my 15 year old son caught it...but..hey...:)  Of course, my son gave it to my husband afterwards, so..now hubby has both my garters to keep.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards