Not Engaged Yet
Options

The Secret

2»

Re: The Secret

  • Options
    BriSox81 said:
    katieg520 said:
    @loves2shop4shoes I totally agree. We as humans are not meant to understand God. God (and whichever form you believe that God is) the being/power/source of life and we all are on this physical plane to serve Him. That is my belief.
    That's where we differ - I don't believe I'm here to "serve" anyone. I think that's another one of my "issues" with religion. I have no proof of God (and I definitely don't consider the bible valid proof), so why would I spend my life living "for" him? I live for myself, my family, my friends, etc. I could very well be wrong, and have to answer to someone when I die, but I'm not going to live my life being afraid of that either. 
    I totally get this point of yours. On the other hand, I have a really hard time believing that earth and all the humans and animals on it are completely devoid of meaning. So to me, there must be something bigger than us, and some purpose we have on this earth, whether it's to reach a 'higher level of consciousness' or to serve a god, or to make it to heaven or hell. The crazy thing is how much people will fight over all of these things that, when boiled down and put in a nutshell, can neither be proven nor disproved. 

    And count me in for loving this civil discussion!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

    "You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

  • Options
    I am so loving that we can all have this discussion and understand each others' POV on a sensitive subject.

    Ok, to the question, how do you explain that bad things happen?

    Simple, because there are always things that we need to learn from. I've always noticed that in times of tragedy, it can bring out the best in the people affected by it. I think if you choose to see the good in every situation, there is always something to be learned. God did not promise that we would live without sorrow, without tragedy or devastation. But I believe that we go through those things to bring us closer to God. Not one of us is immortal. We all will have our time when it's time to return home to God and we never know HOW that will happen. Some of us will die of old age when our bodies are done. Some of us die via tragic circumstances. In every instance, not one person leaves before his/her time is done and we have fulfilled our purpose.
  • Options
    katieg520 said:
    I am so loving that we can all have this discussion and understand each others' POV on a sensitive subject.

    Ok, to the question, how do you explain that bad things happen?

    Simple, because there are always things that we need to learn from. I've always noticed that in times of tragedy, it can bring out the best in the people affected by it. I think if you choose to see the good in every situation, there is always something to be learned. God did not promise that we would live without sorrow, without tragedy or devastation. But I believe that we go through those things to bring us closer to God. Not one of us is immortal. We all will have our time when it's time to return home to God and we never know HOW that will happen. Some of us will die of old age when our bodies are done. Some of us die via tragic circumstances. In every instance, not one person leaves before his/her time is done and we have fulfilled our purpose.
    I see your point here. I guess I just have a hard time believing (probably because I don't WANT to believe) that a child can fulfill their purpose in such a short time, while a murderer/rapist/terrorist/etc. can continue to live here and not contribute anything to the world. 

    I also think that religion is used as an excuse for a lot of things. I consider myself very liberal/progressive, and it really irks me when people use their religious beliefs as a way to explain their intolerance for gay marriage or abortion or the like, especially because I find a lot of those arguments very hypocritical and contradictory. (Not always, just the majority, from my experience.)

    I enjoy discussions like this with people who are level-headed. We disagree, but still respect each other. Katie, I also appreciate that you are devout in your beliefs, and are able to tell them to us coherently, and I don't feel like you're trying to change my mind or shove religion/god down my throat. 



    *******************************************************************************************




    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

  • Options
    But every person has the CHOICE to be filled with light or to be filled with the darkness that some people commonly refer to as Satan or the devil. Obviously, murderers  and rapists etc are not fulfilling their purpose that God has placed them here to do, therefore they have opportunities to change their ways, repent and accept the light known as God.

    Thanks @BriSox81 . I really enjoy talking about things about which I am passionate. I always say I'm not so much religious as I am spiritual. My beliefs don't really align with any one organized religion. I also don't believe God expects us to subscribe to one religion or another, as long as we live the way He wants us to live and serve Him and our fellow man.

    I do, however, respect the beliefs of other people and understand that we are all on a journey here in life. We all go down different paths and make the decisions we make based on our experiences. Some of us have been here many times. Some of us haven't.

  • Options
    BriSox81 said:
    katieg520 said:
    I am so loving that we can all have this discussion and understand each others' POV on a sensitive subject.

    Ok, to the question, how do you explain that bad things happen?

    Simple, because there are always things that we need to learn from. I've always noticed that in times of tragedy, it can bring out the best in the people affected by it. I think if you choose to see the good in every situation, there is always something to be learned. God did not promise that we would live without sorrow, without tragedy or devastation. But I believe that we go through those things to bring us closer to God. Not one of us is immortal. We all will have our time when it's time to return home to God and we never know HOW that will happen. Some of us will die of old age when our bodies are done. Some of us die via tragic circumstances. In every instance, not one person leaves before his/her time is done and we have fulfilled our purpose.
    I see your point here. I guess I just have a hard time believing (probably because I don't WANT to believe) that a child can fulfill their purpose in such a short time, while a murderer/rapist/terrorist/etc. can continue to live here and not contribute anything to the world. 

    I also think that religion is used as an excuse for a lot of things. I consider myself very liberal/progressive, and it really irks me when people use their religious beliefs as a way to explain their intolerance for gay marriage or abortion or the like, especially because I find a lot of those arguments very hypocritical and contradictory. (Not always, just the majority, from my experience.)

    I enjoy discussions like this with people who are level-headed. We disagree, but still respect each other. Katie, I also appreciate that you are devout in your beliefs, and are able to tell them to us coherently, and I don't feel like you're trying to change my mind or shove religion/god down my throat. 
    Amen sister. While it is one thing to have a belief in something, it is a completely different thing to force those beliefs on someone else (i.e. regulate gay marriage, access to abortions, etc). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

    "You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

  • Options
    I think that the way The Secret is presented turns a lot of people off.  But when I stopped to think about it, I felt like a lot of what is presented is just common sense.

    I mean, if you believe that you are not capable of doing something, your actions are going to reflect that belief.  If you believe you are going to fail, you probably are going to.  But if you are confident and positive, your results are going to be a lot better.  When I walk into an interview feeling comfortable and upbeat, I perform a lot better than when I'm nervous and don't believe I'm qualified for the job.  None of this is particularly mystical or spiritual.  Your daily actions are going to be colored by your beliefs.

    Do I think you can magically will yourself whatever your biggest fantasy is?  Not so much.  But I think that if you are positive and know what you want, you will be able to take advantage of opportunities when life presents them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @BriSox81, I also have had problems with rationalizing "The Problem of Evil".  How could a loving, merciful God allow horrible things to happen to good people, to children, to animals?

    I think the answer probably lies in that without suffering, there can be far less compassion.  And people learn enormous life lessons through suffering.

    I also agree that it's stupid to fight about religion.  In the end, there is no way to prove or disprove it.  There just isn't.  So the fact that people are willing to kill others over religious difference seems nuts to me.  Like, why can't everyone just play nicely in the religious sandbox?  Why can't everyone appreciate each other's religions for what they are, and respect them?

    And don't even get me started on religious politics and the imposition of religion/faith as a means to control members of society!  Notice how it's always the "second class citizens" that feel the full wrath of faith based politics on how they live their lives.  (ie. women with abortions and homosexuals with marriage)  It makes my blood boil.
  • Options
    @loves2shop4shoes I agree on all points. I might think religion & the bible is a bunch of hooey, but unless you're trying to slam it down my throat, it doesn't bother me what you read & believe in. Which is exactly how I feel everyone should feel about gay marriage - if you don't like it, don't get gay married. But don't say it should be illegal because you (general you) don't like it. 



    *******************************************************************************************




    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

  • Options
    BriSox81 said:
    @loves2shop4shoes I agree on all points. I might think religion & the bible is a bunch of hooey, but unless you're trying to slam it down my throat, it doesn't bother me what you read & believe in. Which is exactly how I feel everyone should feel about gay marriage - if you don't like it, don't get gay married. But don't say it should be illegal because you (general you) don't like it. 
    Does this mean you think I should cancel our surprise ice rink gay wedding?
  • Options
    Don't you DARE cancel that wedding!  


    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BriSox81 said:
    @loves2shop4shoes I agree on all points. I might think religion & the bible is a bunch of hooey, but unless you're trying to slam it down my throat, it doesn't bother me what you read & believe in. Which is exactly how I feel everyone should feel about gay marriage - if you don't like it, don't get gay married. But don't say it should be illegal because you (general you) don't like it. 
    Does this mean you think I should cancel our surprise ice rink gay wedding?
    Oh HELLLLL to the no!! I would love a big gay ice rink wedding!! :)



    *******************************************************************************************




    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

  • Options
    I haven't read The Secret, but I'll comment anyway.

    I don't believe in God. I think the gods of any religion are a social construct, giving society a narrative to provide comfort and meaning. I strive to be a good, kind, decent human being because I want to be a good, kind, decent human being, not because a god tells me I should be.

    I believe in the power of energy insofar as I believe having a positive (or negative) outlook on things will affect your behavior, which will in turn affect the outcomes of that behavior. In essence, I believe that our thoughts create our world.

    I don't believe in soulmates in the traditional sense. I believe there are hundreds, probably thousands of people I could be in romantic love with in this world. We're lucky if we find one of them. I also believe that there are other people who you have some sort of connection with and enrich your life in a way that encourages you to be the person you are supposed to be. 

    I am, however, reading a book on past-life regression and soulmates after my best guy friend told me that he felt that we had been in each other's lives before and recommended the book. I'm keeping an open mind.
    All of this is why you're one of my soulmates :) 



    *******************************************************************************************




    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

  • Options

    I agree with everying LivLeighton said about her beliefs on God, energy and soulmates. She has such an ability to simplify everything and express the very core of her thoughts...i'm too wordy!

    With respect to what some have said about the power of positive thinking - I don't believe good things come your way (or for that matter that you avoid bad things), simply because you are a positive person. I do believe your outlook changes your view of the world. If, for example you loose your job a negative person may become depressed, angry or distance themselves from friends and family who they see as successful. A positive person may be more likely to see it as an opportunity to find a better job, start a new career or be empowered to seek out successful friends/family that might put them in line to find success themself.

    Think about it this way: what type of person are you most likely to lend a hand to? Most likely to want to help out or listen to? Who do you want to go above and beyond for? I'm guessing it's the person that is positive in your life and not the constant complainer who won't help themselves. I believe a positive person is more likely to have opportunities presented to them because positivity attracts opportunity. AND for that matter, a positive person will make the most of that opportunity.

    I believe some people find strength, peace and empowerment from a belief in God. To me, I find those things from within myself and from my relationships and interaction with the world. I do not believe in divine intervention or heaven/hell. I cannot accept that there is one correct religion out there and all others are damned. I believe that if there is a "greater power" it is accepting of all humanity.

     

  • Options

    All I know is, when I look at this world around me... really look at it, I cannot find it in myself to believe that it was all a big accident. God came to me in a dream at age 23 and I can't even explain it, but when I woke up the next day I believed in Him. As a child, I was sent to class at catholic church, got baptized and confirmed and all that jazz, but it wasn't until I was 23 that I believed in Him. I used to argue with my christian friends that there is no way that God is real. I don't know why it took Him so long to speak to me... which brings me to another explorative thought, Spirtual Warfare. I just wonder if satan had a hand on me for a time in my life before that dream and that's where my struggle stemmed from. Thoughts on Spirtual Warfare anyone?

    As for serving the Lord, I absolutely attempt to every day. I know I fail and sometimes make choices for myself and what I think I need, but those decisions don't normally work out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards