Wedding Invitations & Paper

Response cards question

Did/has anyone used some kind of system to keep track of RSVPs? I've heard of people putting a little number on the back of the response card that corresponds with a household (in case a guest forgets to fill in his name).

Is this a good idea or would it be impolite since the guests might think the numbers had something to do with ranking...? I don't see how else you could make sure you know who nameless RSVPs are from.

Re: Response cards question

• We marked the back very small and very lightly in pencil. No one even mentioned it.

If you're super concerned, you can use a blacklight/invisible ink pen.
  • For my first wedding, we did this (extremely lightly with pencil) and only one guest noticed the number on the back (she was a recent bride who admitted to doing this herself).  If you're worried, you could number them in alphabetical order so if anyone should ask (which is unlikely), you can assure them the numerical order was established alphabetically by last name, and that all of your guests are of equal importance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the idea of numbering response cards so that you can tell which guests are RSVPing even if you don't have their names.  Making the numbers unobtrusive is a good idea.
  • I have never looked on the back of a response card so there could have been a huge smiley face or a fire breathing dragon and I would not have noticed it, so I think you are safe with a tiny number in the corner.

• We had response postcards and we numbered them very small on the side with our address. I don't think anyone noticed.
  • Thanks for the reassurance, ladies. I think I was overthinking it lol. @itzMS I like the idea of the invisible ink pen. I saw one online for $3 that comes with it's own little blacklight.
  • I have nothing to add other than it reminded me to do this!
  • We wrote tiny numbers lightly in pencil on the back corner of all the cards.  We numbered them alphabetically.  No one ever noticed them (or at least said anything to us).  And we never had to use it anyway.
  • I *really* wish I had read this before we sent ours. We just got one back with a "no", no names and an illegible postmark. We have 1 week to the deadline and 25 outstanding replies. Fun! 
  • This may be overkill, but I will add it for thoroughness.  Not too long ago, a poster mentioned that she took the time to number her RSVP cards to avoid such a mishap.  She received an RSVP envelope but the guest forgot to put the card into it.  Her comment was that she wished she had thought to number her envelopes as she numbered the cards.

Sometimes you can only develop contingency plans in hindsight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards