Wedding Reception Forum

Very Small Reception Ideas

We are having a very small and intimate morning/early afternoon wedding this December with just immediate family.  The ceremony will be from 10-10:30 with a reception until 2pm.  Other than my fiance and I, we are only going to have a total of 6 guests (7 if you count my 9 month old niece).  We'll have one MOH and one best man.

I'm worried about the reception possibly being too long, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as far as activities or other ways to make it really fun?  We aren't planning on having live music or dancing during the reception since it is early in the day and the group is so small.  We will have a violinist play during the ceremony and possibly for another hour or so as entertainment while we take photos together and with all of our guests.

The venue is Bella Collina in Montverde, FL.  We are getting married outside and will have our reception at one large table in the wine cellar.

Re: Very Small Reception Ideas

• Do you have to have the reception until 2?  Why not just make it end sooner?  You have such a small group that I doubt a luncheon could last that long. 
  • That's how long we have with our wedding package-it was the shortest one that was available through our venue.  Since we're paying for it, I really want to find some way of using that time in a fun way :)
  • I agree with jenn.  That is way too long of a reception for only 7 people.  I would have your wedding and then a nice lunch for 2 hours afterwards and then call it a day.

• I think eating lunch and mingling would be just fine.  If it is more casual, perhaps you could offer lawn games during the cocktail hour while you are getting your pictures done.
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
     I agree, that 10:30-2 is a really long reception for 7 people. If you're doing an hour for pictures, and the actual reception starts at 11:30, that's leaving you with 2 and a 1/2 hours to make sure everyone is entertained, & having a good time. Obviously your meal, & a speech will likely take up part of this time slot. You could always arrange a slideshow, a wedding related table game, etc. You definitely don't want the awkward hour or so at the end, where people don't know whether to wait until it's over, or just leave. I know you paid for the slot, but I think I'd rather end it 1/2 an hour, to an hour early, or so, than have guests bored. That is 'if' you can't come up with some entertainment to fill the time. 

*J
  • Another vote for shortening it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You mentioned that dinner will be in the wine cellar, would the venue maybe do a wine tasting for you?  That could take up some time.  

Do your guests all know each other?  Do they get along?  While it is a long reception and small group that is close knit could easily fill the time just talking and enjoying each others company.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards