Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Help!

I am unsure what to do, I have just started to registre and my fiance and I have choose Bed Bath and Beyond and wanted to choose another store, we are getting ready to do alot of work to our home already and I thought it would be great to ask for Lowes gift cards instead of cash ( i think it is tackey to ask for cash) but there is no way to register for these gift cards (i know you can on certain websites like 360) alot of our guest are much older and not very computer friendy. I was thinking of putting something like this on the cards.

Registry

Blank and Blank

are registered at

Bed Bath and Beyond

If gift buying is not your thing we are going to be doing some home improvments and could use some Lowes gift cards

Any other ideas???

Re: Help!

• Options
    You should NOT ask for gift cards, that is the same as asking for cash (and you are right, that is rude).

You should NOT put registry information on your invitations.  It is okay to include that information on your website, shower invitations and spread it by word of mouth.

If you want to register for tools and equipment you can do Target, Sears, or the Amazon.com Universal Registry.  If you want the Lowe's gift cards to go towards home improvements it is best to say something like "We are registered at Bed Bath & Beyond and we are saving up for new kitchen cabinets (or whatever)."
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Like April said, you shouldn't. Asking for gift cards is just tacky as asking for cash. And your wedding invites should not include any registry info.

If you want money to work on the house more than physical gifts, set up a small registry and when people ask say we are saving up to work on the house. Tell your moms, if people ask them what you want or need they can suggest Lowe's gift cards.

Last time I checked you couldn't register for "hard lines" at Sears on your wedding registry. So check before you go if you consider registering there for hardware and tools.
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

I am unsure what to do, I have just started to registre and my fiance and I have choose Bed Bath and Beyond and wanted to choose another store, we are getting ready to do alot of work to our home already and I thought it would be great to ask for Lowes gift cards instead of cash ( i think it is tackey to ask for cash) but there is no way to register for these gift cards (i know you can on certain websites like 360) alot of our guest are much older and not very computer friendy. I was thinking of putting something like this on the cards.

Registry

Blank and Blank

are registered at

Bed Bath and Beyond

If gift buying is not your thing we are going to be doing some home improvments and could use some Lowes gift cards

Any other ideas???

Arrrgh! Please don't do this. Cash is the universally wanted gift, and you're smart not to ask for it. In fact, one never asks for anything. If they want to give you a boxed gift, they will find your online registry or ask your closest and dearest where you are registered. As PP posted, create a small registry. When people ask you or those close to you where you are registered, say that you have a few things picked out at BBB, but really that you are saving up for a new kitchen. Don't worry, they'll get the hint.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. Don't "ask" for anything and don't register for gift cards! It's super tacky. You're getting married - people know you probably registered. And if they do ask, just say you're saving up for some home improvements. 

No need to tell your guests "I loveee cash." Everyone does. 
  • Options
    Don't worry- we did not say anything about cash, and I would say that about 25% of the guests gave cash.  I live in a region (Texas) that I think is much more into the boxed gifts.  You will get cash.  Trust me.  Add some word of mouth, and I think you'll be just fine!
  • Options

How is that less tacky than asking for cash? 
  • Options
    Lows has a registry system it is just not widely advertised. Please register do not ask for gift cards. As a guest I see it as asking for cash.
  • Options
    Lows has a registry system it is just not widely advertised. Please register do not ask for gift cards. As a guest I see it as asking for cash.
    Both Lowes and Home Depot have a local registry only.  You register in the store, and your registry is only available in that particular store.  It probably works fine if all or most of your guests are in the same town as you, but otherwise it's not a good option.

• Options
    Why don't you find out if you can actually register at Lowe's instead of asking for gift cards?
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Both Lowes and Home Depot have a local registry only.  You register in the store, and your registry is only available in that particular store.  It probably works fine if all or most of your guests are in the same town as you, but otherwise it's not a good option.
    I worked at Lowe's for 3+ years as customer service.... I know for a fact my Lowe's doesn't have a registry and people would ask... maybe it depends on the Lowe's so that might be something to ask.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Agreed - do not ask for gift cards.  It's the same as asking for cash.  I believe Home Depot used to offer an in-store only registry.  I would stop by your local home depot and check.  Also, your local home improvment store (ACE, True Value), may offer an in-store list as well.  If not, amazon or Sears would work.  If you set up an amazon list with alot of home improvement stuff, people will get the hint.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards