Snarky Brides
Options

Mother of the Bride vs. Tattooed Sister- in- law Bridesmaid

DanyelleGayDanyelleGay member
First Comment
edited October 2013 in Snarky Brides
Recently engaged, at the early stages of planning, I have already picked out my bridesmaids. My mother came to me last night expressing far more than a modest amount of concern over my FI's sister being a BM. His sister, who I adore for who she is, has many large tattoos on both of her arms, covering both shoulders. My mother feels I need to seriously reconsider having her in my BP solely because she has these "blasphemous things" that won't be easy to hide. I could care less, although I do understand where my mother is coming from. She doesn't want me to regret the "bimbo, slutty, tattooed- ruined" pictures (her words, not mine), but we are living in a different world.

A little insight: my mother hates (sorry, strongly dislikes) his mother. And now his sister. What else could go wrong?!

Oh, except maybe that she told me the following: if I don't tell her she's out of the wedding, then she is going to tell her off about her ugly tattoos and force her out the hard way. Just peachy.

Don't get me wrong, I told my mother off. Don't tell me to ignore my mother. Don't tell me that it is my wedding and that I chose my bridesmaids for who they are and that it would be wrong of me to ask her to cover them. Don't tell me that my judgmental guests and family (on both sides) will have to keep their opinions to themselves about it, because it will be my day.

I need ideas on solutions to make everyone happy. I want a smooth day, not a disaster. Maybe dress ideas, granted we are having an outdoor ceremony in Minnesota at the end of September? Maybe ways to take on the situation from both sides, seeing as I haven't talked to anybody about the situation yet.

Re: Mother of the Bride vs. Tattooed Sister- in- law Bridesmaid

• Options

1. definitely tell your FSIL that your mother is a crazy person so that she doesn't hate you forever if your mother tells her off

2. tell your mother that she needs to be an adult about this or she can't be involved anymore

If those don't do the trick, you can also add

3. Consider either long sleeved dresses or buying each of your BMs a matching cardigan to wear for the ceremony and pictures.  but once the reception rolls around, they can do as they please, so be aware of that if you go the cardigan route.

PS - your mom sounds insane.  is she paying for your wedding?  because if so, i imagine you're going to run into a bunch of additional issues as well before all is said and done.  i'd suggest turning down her money and paying for it yourself so that she has no place to make demands.

• Options
    I agree with what mobkaz said about forwarning your FSIL about your mother's opinions and what she may say, but that you are proud to have FSIL stand up as one of your BMs.

He who pays, gets a say, but not regarding your bridal party. 

As for "happy solutions"- a long sleeve dress (LOVE that dress posted by MrsLillyG), or a cardigan or shawl for the BMs. 
  • Options
    Without posting my whole life story, I will stay that my family and I disagree on most things. I may bitch and bitch about problems on here that others may find stupid, but mostly I am venting. I hate my family, but I love/ hate them. They are headstrong and set in their ways, and I don't get along with them when it comes to most things. But the one thing I don't want is to piss them off to the point where they are no longer involved in my life. 

My mother and sister are alike. They are both bitchy people who feel they know everything. They both connect in that they both got pregnant right after high school and they both love chain smoking and drinking beer every night. 

They were paying for a majority of my wedding. I cut them back and decided that it would be best if FI and I paid for our wedding in case of situations like this, and like the ones I'm sure you will here about in the near future. My parents refuse to let me pay for my dress and the flowers, so we agreed to let them pay for those few things. 

My approach to my problems will be as such: agree to disagree and come up with solutions to make everyone happy. I don't want to cut them out of my life because they are my family, even if they don't feel the same. 

That being said, I love the idea of lace long sleeved dresses. I also truly appreciate the idea of forewarning his sister about my mother's opinion prior to the event. I plan on talking to my mother again about the situation after some time has passed and things calm down; she is still really worked up about this and this conversation happened nearly a week ago. 

• Options
    Without posting my whole life story, I will stay that my family and I disagree on most things. I may bitch and bitch about problems on here that others may find stupid, but mostly I am venting. I hate my family, but I love/ hate them. They are headstrong and set in their ways, and I don't get along with them when it comes to most things. But the one thing I don't want is to piss them off to the point where they are no longer involved in my life. 

My mother and sister are alike. They are both bitchy people who feel they know everything. They both connect in that they both got pregnant right after high school and they both love chain smoking and drinking beer every night. 

They were paying for a majority of my wedding. I cut them back and decided that it would be best if FI and I paid for our wedding in case of situations like this, and like the ones I'm sure you will here about in the near future. My parents refuse to let me pay for my dress and the flowers, so we agreed to let them pay for those few things. 

My approach to my problems will be as such: agree to disagree and come up with solutions to make everyone happy. I don't want to cut them out of my life because they are my family, even if they don't feel the same. I hope you never have to but you might prepare yourself as well. If your mother has always been this way and has only gotten worse, then this will never change. Just think about what will be the last straw? Your mother is not a healthy person to be around. 

I am not saying to disown them or anything like that, but what if you have children and she's still saying these vile things? What if she says them to your children? (I apologize if you an FI have decided not to have kids.) I'm just advising, in the back of your mind, prepare yourself because there might be one day where your mother or you get pushed to your limit, then you'll have a choice to make. 

Maybe not right now, but would you rather surround yourself with your FI's family that love and support you or your mother, who you love yes & she loves you back in her own sort of twisted way but pushing everyone else away from you? 

Sorry speaking from personal experience. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When I was in middle/high school, I always held out hope that people would stop seeking out drama and be a little less judgey. Now that I'm an adult and I hear about stories like this, I lose hope.

Anyway, OP, long sleeved BM dresses. It'll be well received for your outdoor late-September wedding anyway. Good luck! And keep trying to put your mom in her place.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    mobkaz said:
    Recently engaged, at the early stages of planning, I have already picked out my bridesmaids. My mother came to me last night expressing far more than a modest amount of concern over my FI's sister being a BM. His sister, who I adore for who she is, has many large tattoos on both of her arms, covering both shoulders. My mother feels I need to seriously reconsider having her in my BP solely because she has these "blasphemous things" that won't be easy to hide. I could care less, although I do understand where my mother is coming from. She doesn't want me to regret the "bimbo, slutty, tattooed- ruined" pictures (her words, not mine), but we are living in a different world.

A little insight: my mother hates (sorry, strongly dislikes) his mother. And now his sister. What else could go wrong?!

Oh, except maybe that she told me the following: if I don't tell her she's out of the wedding, then she is going to tell her off about her ugly tattoos and force her out the hard way. Just peachy.

Don't get me wrong, I told my mother off. Don't tell me to ignore my mother. Don't tell me that it is my wedding and that I chose my bridesmaids for who they are and that it would be wrong of me to ask her to cover them. Don't tell me that my judgmental guests and family (on both sides) will have to keep their opinions to themselves about it, because it will be my day.

I need ideas on solutions to make everyone happy. I want a smooth day, not a disaster. Maybe dress ideas, granted we are having an outdoor ceremony in Minnesota at the end of September? Maybe ways to take on the situation from both sides, seeing as I haven't talked to anybody about the situation yet.
    That solution does not exist.

@mobkaz when I saw you say that, I thought of this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Can I just add that that dress is gorgeous and I want it, even if it is a bridesmaid dress.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Clearly there are a lot of issues here, and I agree with others that solving the tattoo issue isn't going to solve the issues. However, since you ask, to solve the tattoo issue, the answer is pretty obviously just bridesmaid dresses that cover the tattoos, or at the very least cover-ups for them to wear during the ceremony and the photos. 

This actually seems like a pretty easy question to me. What am I missing? 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    Clearly there are a lot of issues here, and I agree with others that solving the tattoo issue isn't going to solve the issues. However, since you ask, to solve the tattoo issue, the answer is pretty obviously just bridesmaid dresses that cover the tattoos, or at the very least cover-ups for them to wear during the ceremony and the photos. 

To refer to someone's tattoo's as "blasphemous things" is offensive and insulting.  Insert something other than tattoo into the sentence and you can start to get a feel for how wrong it is to make such a statement.  If someone told you to reconsider a BM because of her weight, height, hair color, or skin color, would you consider that to be an easy question?
  • Options
    kristbot - just wanted to say I looove the gif ^_^ 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Because someone who prioritzes pictures over people will probably find something else to whine about. Especially since the OP suggests that her mother doesn't like her FI's sister, I'm sure a dress that covers the tattoo won't solve the problem.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    I am a super fan for bridesmaids in cardigans. Plus, the end of September in Minnesota will be perfect weather for it. I would do it with or without the tattoo issue. That was one of my main reasons for wanting a fall wedding, which is not happening. Se la vie.

As for your question, I'd tell your mom to piss off. In the most polite, loving way possible.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    I'm in a similar boat- only the tattooed "rough neck" (not my words) is my sister. My option was to allow my bridesmaids to choose their dress from a collection of dresses. Each dress had a different neckline offering each bridesmaid to choose there own (low, high, plunge or strapless). To my surprise 3 of them chose the same one with a high neckline. So we decided that they would all wear the same dress. The kicker- my sister "couldn't" make the appointment to choose the dress and now she thinks we chose the dress on purpose to cover her "beautiful" chest tattoo that says "Brave One" in script. The dress wasn't my choice- the bridesmaids chose it. She's behaving terribly and is making such a stink, I'm tempted to ask her to sit out. All I have to say is be careful and tread lightly. Try and get your SIL to choose a dress that covers the tatts, but one that she likes. Then all will be happy.
  • Options
    Don't invite your mom.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar boat- only the tattooed "rough neck" (not my words) is my sister. My option was to allow my bridesmaids to choose their dress from a collection of dresses. Each dress had a different neckline offering each bridesmaid to choose there own (low, high, plunge or strapless). To my surprise 3 of them chose the same one with a high neckline. So we decided that they would all wear the same dress. The kicker- my sister "couldn't" make the appointment to choose the dress and now she thinks we chose the dress on purpose to cover her "beautiful" chest tattoo that says "Brave One" in script. The dress wasn't my choice- the bridesmaids chose it. She's behaving terribly and is making such a stink, I'm tempted to ask her to sit out. All I have to say is be careful and tread lightly. Try and get your SIL to choose a dress that covers the tatts, but one that she likes. Then all will be happy.

Why not just let your sister wear the style of her choosing like you originally offered?  If they are the same color and length they will look fine together.

OP, If you like the long sleeved alternatives, go for it.  Basically I agree with everything @mobkaz said.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    NYCBruin said:

Because someone who prioritzes pictures over people will probably find something else to whine about. Especially since the OP suggests that her mother doesn't like her FI's sister, I'm sure a dress that covers the tattoo won't solve the problem.
    I agree that there are issues with the mother WAY above and beyond her freak out over a bridesmaid with tattoos. The OP doesn't seem to be willing to just say "screw you mom, not your wedding, back the F off", but is rather looking toward addressing the little things she's going off over with hopes it will calm her down. So get the bridesmaids to wear dresses to cover their tattoos. That's ONE problem solved. Onto the next. 
  • Options
    Encourage your mother about the photos with the wonders of photoshop that if she really can't stand the tattoos in photos she can pay the photographer or a graphic designer to remove them for any prints that your mom gets. http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Tattoo-from-a-Photo-Using-Photoshop
    But also remind her that any fights she starts, you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. Appeal to her sensibilities about it. If she has any at this point.
  • Options
    My only suggestion would to cover the tatoos up with makeup. I know that you can buy it online. Otherwise be prepared to fight about it.
  • Options
    cidefi said:
    My only suggestion would to cover the tatoos up with makeup. I know that you can buy it online. Otherwise be prepared to fight about it.
    Oh no... not again!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Your mother should try the bean dip...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards