Hawaii

Need help planning a Maui Wedding

I am starting my wedding process and it already feels overwhelming.We are trying to get married in Maui. We were thinking Feb or March of next year. ( Does anyone know if that is a bad part of the year to go, weather wise)?
Do you recommend planning on your own or using a wedding coordinator? Im in Va and going to Hawaii would be a little hard.
If anyone has any recommendations on vendors that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any advice that would be great too.
Thank you
Bonnie

Re: Need help planning a Maui Wedding

• My H and I were married in Maui this past July.  Here are our vendor review:
    http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_vendor-reviews-wlink-to-pictures

I know the West side of the island is very dry.  We were married and stayed in Lahaina and it barely rained the two weeks we were there. 

I am from NC and planned everything myself.  Neither of us had ever been to Hawaii and everything worked out perfectly.  There are enough websites and reviews, I felt comfortable making decisions from home.  I think it depends on how many guests you are planning on having. 

Let me know if you have any questions for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That depends on you.  If you're a good planner and organized person then I totally believe that you can do it on your own.  Also I think depends on how big the wedding will be.  Small intimate gatherings wouldn't be hard to plan.  I had a coordinator, because I am not comfortable nor organized enough to plan a wedding on my own.  I know some of the brides on this board have planned their weddings themselves and it was a wonderful day. 
  • I too am thinking of getting married in Maui. We are thinking next Nov. Just got engaged and starting to look online. There is so much info out there-you're right - totally overwhelming! We are thinking around 50 guests. I am currently looking at combined wedding and reception packages. How about you? I just joined this website, but think (hope) I will be able to find a lot of good info on here! Let me know what you find and I'll do the same!
  • edited August 2012
    I agree with you Lyn...I am not comfortable to do it all myself, especially  in an area I don't know.
    For me, I wanted someone who I could always touch base with and who would take care of all the details the day of.  I don't want to worry about a thing, except enjoying myself.
    I am using Cherise from A Perfect Wedding Maui and I think that she is worth every penny.  I am doing much of the researching and planning myself, but it is so nice to have someone who knows the venue and area to bounce ideas off of. 
    I really think it depends what kind of wedding you have and where you get married.  If you get married on the beach and have a restaurant reception you may not need as much coordination.
    Other things I wish I knew before we decided on Maui is that they tax everything!  It adds up.
    Feel free to ask any more questions...we're about 2 months out and things are starting to come together!
    Good luck!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_need-help-planning-a-maui-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:6fc0ad0b-d482-4774-9831-79cb9a61e72cPost:04c1f1f2-0226-46eb-b6ca-9d31949438a4">Re: Need help planning a Maui Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]That depends on you.  If you're a good planner and organized person then I totally believe that you can do it on your own.  Also I think depends on how big the wedding will be.  Small intimate gatherings wouldn't be hard to plan.  I had a coordinator, because I am not comfortable nor organized enough to plan a wedding on my own.  I know some of the brides on this board have planned their weddings themselves and it was a wonderful day. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]
  • I cannot explain how important it is to get a planner. I am a local bride but recently moved here so I got a planner to start the planning process for me before I arrived. I used Zenju Weddings and Events. The woman's name is Yanicke and she is amazing! I had to also plan my move so to plan a wedding too would have given me palpatations.  She is specialized in big estate weddings but will do anything she can to work within yur budget. I did not low ball her on her rates because I know how much work it takes to plan weddings and I knwo brides try to low ball planners all the time. For everything that she did for me I would pay her double. Our wedding is in a month and I plan to give her a big fat tip on top of everything because I honesttly did not have to lift a finger.... Check her out www.zenjuweddingsnevents.com ... Its not worth the stress of planning it yourself specially if you do not live there. Her main clientele are the destination brides...

Goodluck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards