July 2012 Weddings

POLL: Let's talk about babies!

When are you going to start trying for babies?
How many kids would you and DH like to have?
Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy?
Do you have any names picked out?
Anything else you'd like to add?

Re: POLL: Let's talk about babies!

• When are you going to start trying for babies?  I think in 2 years we will seriously start trying. I wish it was sooner, but we need to settle into our careers and enjoy being married for a while.
    How many kids would you and DH like to have? 2
    Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? If we can't have kids, we've talked about adoption, but haven't really talked about surrogacy.  I think we would probably choose adoption.
    Do you have any names picked out? I really like Chole for a girl but haven't thought too much about it.

• When are you going to start trying for babies?
    Our goal right now is to buy a house, once we have that we will try for a baby. Right now it looks like next summer we will start trying.

Because of daycare cost we may only be able to have 1. I would love to have 2.

My DH is adamant, no.

Only a middle name. Lyn for my grandmother and sister and Manuel for my father and brother.

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • When are you going to start trying for babies?  We're thinking a year or two...haven't quite decided yet.
    How many kids would you and DH like to have?  2 or 3...we'll see where we're at after the 2nd one =)
    Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy?  yes, we have considered both. For me it would be A LOT easier to adopt...I would have a hard time watching someone else be pregnant with my child, etc....
    Do you have any names picked out?  We have discussed a few, but none really set in stone until we're actually serious about babies...
  • When are you going to start trying for babies?
    Once we get our finances in order.  Probably next year.

We still debate this.  DH's response is, "Let's try one and go from there."  I want 4 but as long as it's an even number.

We'd adopt if we can't have children on our own or if we want to add more but I don't want to have them again.  I don't really agree with surrogacy when there are so many children right here in the US that are without good families.

I have a boys name picked out but no girls names.  I made the mistake of telling DH that he could choose that and he's thinking of as many stupid names as he can based on his favorite shows (ex: The Simpson's)

Nope, other than to wish everyone good luck no matter what they decide! =)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? 4-5 years

How many kids would you and DH like to have? 2 at most

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? We have. I've actually always wanted to adopt ever since I was a child rather than have my own kids. We haven't decided yet if we're def. going to have our own kids yet or adopt--both choices are on the table for us.

Do you have any names picked out? I've always loved the name Rylan Grace for a girl and Jonathan James for a boy.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Ohhh....good poll!

When are you going to start trying for babies?  When I turn 30 (two years); we wanted to have a few years to ourselves, plus we have a little too much going on right now.

How many kids would you and DH like to have? undecided - 2 or 3?

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? Yes; at one time I could only imagine adopting, not giving birth.  I guess falling in love with the right person can change your mind about things.

Do you have any names picked out?  No

Anything else you'd like to add?  Everything about having children intimidates me right now - from actually giving birth to caring for someone for 18 years.  I've always imagined myself as a mother...but I don't think it's a decision to rush!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:f75027a5-e9b3-47e2-88a9-a67893a11856">Re: POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohhh....good poll! When are you going to start trying for babies?   When I turn 30 (two years); we wanted to have a few years to ourselves, plus we have a little too much going on right now. How many kids would you and DH like to have? undecided - 2 or 3? Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? Yes; at one time I could only imagine adopting, not giving birth.  I guess falling in love with the right person can change your mind about things. Do you have any names picked out?   No Anything else you'd like to add?  Everything about having children intimidates me right now - from actually giving birth to caring for someone for 18 years.  I've always imagined myself as a mother...<strong>but I don't think it's a decision to rush</strong>!
    Posted by KatieK501[/QUOTE]

This is the total truth!! You definitely need to know for sure before you do =)
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? I think I will go off BC next fall and then really start trying in 2014

How many kids would you and DH like to have? I would like 2.. DH thinks that 100 kids would be perfect haha

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? Def no to surrogacy.  If we are unable to have children we will adopt

Do you have any names picked out?  We have a boy name we both agree on.. Myer

As for a girl I love Elizabeth- Libby or Lizzy for short :) I also really like Noel and Lilly

• cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    When are you going to start trying for babies? Probably not for 2-3 years. Not anytime soon. H's career is still getting off the ground.
    How many kids would you and DH like to have? 2-3. More than anything we want one of each.
    Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? I think we would if we couldn't get pregnant. Never really thought about it too much, as girls in my family tend to be ridiculously fertile (knock on wood).
    Do you have any names picked out? H's first name that he doesn't go by is McKinley, so Kinley for a girl. Ray is his dad's middle name, so Ray for a boy. LOVE family names.
    Anything else you'd like to add? The tangible thought of having babies scares me! And I'm 27!
    Oh, also, we aren't going to find out the sex of the baby, unless for some reason we have multiples (which doesn't run in the family at all).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:ed0ffbfb-e5ed-49a5-ac78-376fb774862c">Re: POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you going to start trying for babies? Probably not for 2-3 years. Not anytime soon. H's career is still getting off the ground. How many kids would you and DH like to have? 2-3. More than anything we want one of each. Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? I think we would if we couldn't get pregnant. Never really thought about it too much, as girls in my family tend to be ridiculously fertile (knock on wood). Do you have any names picked out? H's first name that he doesn't go by is McKinley, so Kinley for a girl. Ray is his dad's middle name, so Ray for a boy. LOVE family names. Anything else you'd like to add? The tangible thought of having babies scares me! And I'm 27! <strong>Oh, also, we aren't going to find out the sex of the baby,</strong> unless for some reason we have multiples (which doesn't run in the family at all).
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

We just had friends who didn't find out the sex of their baby; I love that idea because most of the nursery items and gifts would work for a boy or girl and could be reused no matter which they have next.  I, on the other hand, cannot even handle the surprise of a Christmas present (I mean, after my husband proposed, I interogated him on how he got away with hiding the ring from me!).  There's no way I could handle not knowing what I was having!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:ed0ffbfb-e5ed-49a5-ac78-376fb774862c">Re: POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you going to start trying for babies? Probably not for 2-3 years. Not anytime soon. H's career is still getting off the ground. How many kids would you and DH like to have? 2-3. More than anything we want one of each. Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? I think we would if we couldn't get pregnant. Never really thought about it too much, as girls in my family tend to be ridiculously fertile (knock on wood). Do you have any names picked out? H's first name that he doesn't go by is McKinley, so Kinley for a girl. Ray is his dad's middle name, so Ray for a boy. LOVE family names. Anything else you'd like to add? The tangible thought of having babies scares me! And I'm 27!<strong> Oh, also, we aren't going to find out the sex of the baby, unless for some reason we have multiples (which doesn't run in the family at all).</strong>
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I really hope we can do this too!  I want to have the surprise!  My mom had it with all 4 of us (not intentionally, the youngest two were 'shy' and it wasn't developed enough when my sister and I were born) but it was so awesome!  The anticipation was like doubled!
  • We do not plan on finding out the sex of the baby....however, I'm kinda liking the gender reveal at the shower!! I think that'll be fun!  But hopefully I won't back down...DH wants to find out the sex of the babies but no at least on the first one...maybe...AHH!! ha ha
  • We're going to wait for a while. We really want kids but we live with my parents and I don't have a full time job so we have to wait until those things change at least. I want at least two kids and I wouldn't be opposed to multiples. I actually have two cousins who have twins. I wouldn't want more than 3 though, it's just to much for me. I would defiantly consider adoption. I have 4 cousins who are adopted and it's always been a very open thing. In fact my cousin just met his birth mom last month. I think it would be great to help a kid who really needs a family. I have names mostly picked out. I like Lilly and Jada for a girl, William Shea for a boy. I'm not worried at all about pregnancy but I am worried about after. There is so much pressure to breast feed but because of my breast reduction I may not be able to. I feel like people will think I'm a bad mom for not breast feeding when they don't know the situation.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:8c59a85c-ed00-4517-9985-621ffedf7d31">Re:POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're going to wait for a while. We really want kids but we live with my parents and I don't have a full time job so we have to wait until those things change at least. I want at least two kids and I wouldn't be opposed to multiples. I actually have two cousins who have twins. I wouldn't want more than 3 though, it's just to much for me. I would defiantly consider adoption. I have 4 cousins who are adopted and it's always been a very open thing. In fact my cousin just met his birth mom last month. I think it would be great to help a kid who really needs a family. I have names mostly picked out. I like Lilly and Jada for a girl, William Shea for a boy. I'm not worried at all about pregnancy but I am worried about after. <strong>There is so much pressure to breast feed but because of my breast reduction I may not be able to. I feel like people will think I'm a bad mom for not breast feeding when they don't know the situation.</strong>
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]

I think that it goes in waves, breastfeeding and bottle feeding so mabye bottle feeding will be in vouge again when you decide to have kids.  I don't think that anyone would really judge you.  Personally I wouldn't, it's a choice that you have to make just like everything else and no one should judge you over it.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:8c59a85c-ed00-4517-9985-621ffedf7d31">Re:POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're going to wait for a while. We really want kids but we live with my parents and I don't have a full time job so we have to wait until those things change at least. I want at least two kids and I wouldn't be opposed to multiples. I actually have two cousins who have twins. I wouldn't want more than 3 though, it's just to much for me. I would defiantly consider adoption. I have 4 cousins who are adopted and it's always been a very open thing. In fact my cousin just met his birth mom last month. I think it would be great to help a kid who really needs a family. I have names mostly picked out. I like Lilly and Jada for a girl, William Shea for a boy. I'm not worried at all about pregnancy but I am worried about after. <strong>There is so much pressure to breast feed but because of my breast reduction I may not be able to. I feel like people will think I'm a bad mom for not breast feeding when they don't know the situation.</strong>
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]

If you can't you can't =) The main reason why people push breast feeding is the collostrum.  Its the very first yellowish milk that the mother produces. It consists of important antibodies & nutrients that an infants benefits from =)  Some women just pump for the first few weeks and then stop...and some just pump the first week and stop.  Don't worry, lots of mom's don't/can't breast feed!  While I'm a huge advocate of breastfeeding, I also do not judge because every woman and situation is different..some people don't understand that...

A friend of mine tried it out and her little guy just couldn't/didn't latch on. It's completely normal for something like that to happen!  Don't worry about other people and their judgements...you need to do what's best for you and your child!
  • I am a control freak, so H was surprised when I told him that I wouldn't want to know. I just think the awesome moment in the delivery room far outweighs being able to purchase gender-appropriate decor. Plus, like you said, it's reuseable for another baby!
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? WE'RE PREGNANT!!

How many kids would you and DH like to have?We decided to only have 3, so this will be my last baby. But I would love to have a house full

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy?Nope

Do you have any names picked out? If this baby is a boy we are naming it Miguel after DH but no middle names yet and No girl names yet.

pregnancy calendar
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? Planning to start trying around the 1 year mark. We're taking a trip to Myrtle Beach that someone gave us as a gift for our wedding in June, so hoping to start then :)

How many kids would you and DH like to have? He'd like no more than 1 lol I'd like 2. We'll see how it goes...we'd have to space them out due to daycare costs anyway, if possible.

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? Yes...DH does NOT want to adopt, because he'd rather not have kids at that point. Surrogacy, we have not really discussed. I would do it only with a family member (sister or maybe cousin). It's a bridge we will cross if the time comes (hopefully not!!!)

Do you have any names picked out? We were just talking about Jack for a boy and Lillian (Lily) for a girl.

Anything else you'd like to add? I just found out we only get 6 weeks paid (at 75%) maternity leave...I always thought it was 12! You can take 12, but the rest is unpaid (or use PTO), and you have to pay insurance out of pocket during that time too. UGH!!! I'm already thinking about what would happen to go part time, if I could even do that. I kind of think it would balance out daycare costs...
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_poll-lets-talk-about-babies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:5a27bd77-52b4-41ad-9eff-533bc3616f7bPost:c44429dd-ecb6-4ee4-b1fa-aafe4398f5ff">Re: POLL: Let's talk about babies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you going to start trying for babies? WE'RE PREGNANT!! How many kids would you and DH like to have?We decided to only have 3, so this will be my last baby. But I would love to have a house full Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy?Nope Do you have any names picked out? If this baby is a boy we are naming it Miguel after DH but no middle names yet and No girl names yet.
    Posted by Melissa.hylton[/QUOTE]

CONGRATS!!! Hope you have a happy, healthy pregnancy!!
    imageAnniversary
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? We want to be pregnant year of thirty so just over 2 years away. I am already getting baby fever tho lol How many kids would you and DH like to have? 3 Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? It has been in my game plan for a very long time to adopt. Well have 2 of our own and adopt one. There are just so many children out there who need a home and a family to love them. DH had never considered it before we got together and was hesitant when I first brought it up but when I explained why it was important to me and gave home time to mull it over he surprised me a couple months later when we were talking about children and he said well you'll only have to give birth twice cause well adopt one.... :) I love him so. Do you have any names picked out? We have a bunch because we feel like well have to wait which name fit the baby after they pop out so we want to have a few options hehe. For girls we love Lane, Sloan, Quinn and June. For boys we love Beau, Mac, Trace and another I can't remember now. Anything else you'd like to add? I am excited about being pregnant but am soooo scared about giving birth :S
    Anniversary
  • When are you going to start trying for babies? We're really divided on this.  At least a year, so I can finish my degree and find a job, but we really don't have any set-in-stone plans. I think our life is far too transitional right now for babies.

How many kids would you and DH like to have? In the perfect world, 2.

Have you thought about adoption or surrogacy? I've thought about adoption quite a bit and we'll consider it.

Do you have any names picked out? If we have a boy, Rafael. It's Ricardo's middle name - and I just love it.

Owengirl,  6 weeks maternity leave is pretty darn good. My last real employee gave 4. -__-
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Owengirl - Our firm used to give none - you had to use PTO, but just last month revised their policy to 3 weeks paid IF you had been employed for 5 or more years. By the time I hit 5 years will be right around the time we start trying, so it's pretty perfect.
  • This country is so messed up when it comes to maternity leave! What do these companies expect, for women to give birth over the weekend and go back to work on Monday?? I want to live in Europe, where most places you get 6 months or more for maternity leave. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful I will get 6 weeks (really, it's 5, with the first week being mandatory PTO) rather than nothing, but it's still a bunch of BS! If only moving out of the country were that easy!
    imageAnniversary
  • Just jumped on and saw this, we only get 4 weeks off and none of it is paid unless we have PTO saved up. Super LAME! We don't want kids for a couple years, so I may need to find a new job by then.
    *~The Future Mrs. Paine~*

*~Planning Bio Updated April 16th~*

image 331 invited image 107 are ready to party image 96 are missing out image 128 can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 30th!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards