Not Engaged Yet

3:18:12

That's my time!  I finished the race!!!!!

We had to get up ungodly early - 3am, to get to the place at 4am so we could be through the traffic and security and in our corrals by 5am.  Yes, ridiculous!  The race started at 5:30am, but my corral wasn't released until 6:09am, so I got to wait around a bit.  The weather was perfect - not too cold, and not uncomfortably humid or warm.  Though it was a little more humid than I'm used to, and I definitely sweat buckets along the course!

Me at 4:30am after first arriving:

I ran the first 2 miles, then did 3/1 intervals (run for 3 minutes, walk for 1).  I could have easily run the first 6-7 miles no problem, but I didn't want to tire myself out too early, so I started intervals long before I felt I needed it.  I also desperately had to go to the bathroom, and ended up stopping for 10 minutes to wait in line for a port-a-potty around mile 5.  I made it to mile 6, and ran into the Magic Kingdom!

Me before running through the Cinderella Castle:

Around mile 7, the sun started really shining and we were starting on the road on the way back to Epcot, where we started.  The excitement definitely peaked in Magic Kingdom, and the road back was hot, crowded, and the sun was shining directly in my eyes.  I started getting rather tired and losing some of the adrenaline around mile 8, so I switched to a 2-1 interval (2 minutes running, 1 minute walking) which I maintained through Mile 12, at which point I saw my guy waiting for me in Epcot.  He gave me a big hug, and told me to finish strong, so I ran the last 1.1 miles through the finish line!

I ran the whole thing in 3 hours, 18 minutes, and 12 seconds!  I beat 33.2% of my age group and 40.4% of all the runners.  More importantly, I raised over $2000 in my friend's memory for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!

It was a truly AWESOME day!   I'll post more pictures tonight/tomorrow when I get them off the camera - these are from my cell phone that I was carrying during the race.

Anniversary

Re: 3:18:12

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Way to go Cate!

Now that it is all done, are you up for another one?
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Cate, I am so very proud of you. You set a goal, you did it, and you raised money for a great cause. You should be very proud of yourself!! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_31812?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:f2a18a53-f972-4893-9e7e-d1ae59b301d8Post:f1516c88-4a3a-4865-b55b-19efe7bf04f8">Re: 3:18:12</a>:
    [QUOTE]Way to go Cate! Now that it is all done, are you up for another one?
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

Uh, yes, but not right away!  I want to do one in October.  I strained a muscle in my foot during this one - nothing serious, a few days of rest and I'll be fine, but I'm limping a bit today.  And luckily I didn't feel it at all until about a mile of walking after I was done, trying to get to the car.  So I'm taking a week off running, resting my foot, and then I'll start again with 4 mile runs.  I don't think I'm going to run more than 6 miles anytime soon... but we're training for a half in October, that I'm going to run with my guy and some friends!  And my brother's girlfriend has said she's going to train to run the Princess with me next year!!!

So yeah, this won't be my last half by a long shot.

Anniversary

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cate, that is awesome! And it looks like so much fun. You've definitely inspired me to try this some day.
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Woohoo! Love the tutu! Glad you had so much fun!!
  • edited December 2011
    YAY CATE!!! It looks like so much fun, and great job!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • edited December 2011
    That is such wonderful news. I can't imagine the feeling of accomplishment you must have after something like that! Be proud - you deserve it.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    The Dad of my friend for whom I was running this race had been tracking my progress online (the tracker on my shoe reported my pacing and location, which you could sign up to have email or text updates sent to you during the race).  He called me right afterwards crying.  I cried the whole last quarter mile anyway, so it just was a big tear fest!  It was a really great moment, bittersweet but felt like I had done something really good for my friend.

Anniversary

• Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Cate!  We're proud of you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Cate, that's awesome!
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! Good job on the tutu!
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Way to go, congrats!
    I'm not good at feelings.

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Great job Cate, looks like you had a lot of fun and congrats on your goal!
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! Congrats on finishing your race and doing so well too!

• edited December 2011
    WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Congrats Cate! Great accomplishment! Just remember the awesome feelings, good and bad - the start line, mile 8 when you hit the wall, mile 10 or 11 when you realized you were GONNA MAKE IT!!, and the last quarter mile, crying all the way.

Hang on to those feelings. It is so easy to forget and lose momentum. Take a week or so off to recover. Make sure your aches and pains are pretty much healed up before going long (but keep moving - walking is good, then start with 1-3 miles again, just like when you first started), then keep a solid base of 6-8 miles. If you do that, you'll be able to run a half with a month or two of prep.

Congrats!

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations! One of my goals for 2011 is to run a 1/2 sometime!
    Did a lot of people wear costumes like your cute tutu?
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    YAY, CATE!!!! I agree with PPs. You should be really proud of what you've accomplished. Go, you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    YAY!  Congratulations!  That's so awesome, and I ADORE the tutu!
    I french with my man
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Here's some more pics - people definitely dressed up, some in outrageous costumes, some with little touches like a tiara. I definitely stepped on a few pieces of tulle during the race that came off someone else's tutu!

My parents, BF, and me in Magic Kingdom the day before the race

My Dad snapped this picture when they first saw me - you can see all the costumes of the runners!  The pink thing at the top is the flag my Mom made to cheer me on!

Me and the Castle!

Me after the race with a topiary of Pooh!

After getting all cleaned up, back at Epcot in my race jersey and my shiny new medal!!!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    WooHoo - great job!
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    YAYA!   I am glad you had such a good time and that is was such a good experience for you.  Being able to help your friend is wonderful :)  I hope you do it again.  You're pictures are beautiful :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Woo hoo, that's so amazing! You should be so proud of yourself, what an accomplishment!

PS - your tutu is made of win. I love that you ran in that. :)
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm always impressed by runners!
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a great accomplishment for you, Cate! Good job, girl:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • PolkaDotBellaPolkaDotBella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Cate! Such an accomplishment!
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    ..::..In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities ~Janos Arnay..::..
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats, Cate!
  • edited December 2011
    Yay Cate! What an accomplishment! You must be so proud. I went back to teaching dance classes this week. IT's not a half marathon or anything (you ridiculously in-shape woman you), but it's a start.

oh and youtube "Tommy Tiernan Live Declan Moffit and the Marathon". I think you'd enjoy.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! You looked so adorable in the tutu!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards