Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Combining the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance

My fiance and I are not thrilled about slow dancing while everyone stares at us, so the idea of doing it twice is a little much.  We don't want to omit the traditional Father/Daugher and Mother/Son dances, but would it be okay to do them at the same time?  I was thinking "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts would be appropriate for a joint dance.  What do you think?
Adriane

Re: Combining the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance

• Sure, as long as your Dad and his Mom are okay with sharing the spotlight, it's perfectly fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ditto Dani on making sure that everyone is on board.  When my friend's son was married,  her son and DIL decided without checking first to combine the dances and my friend was livid.  I think she was a little over the top about it but it bears keeping in mind.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thanks Ladies!  I appreciate the advice.  It's so hard to make sure everyone is happy with you decisions when what you want is to break tradition.
    Adriane
  • We did them at the same time too...  The song we chose was "Wonderful World" - not the classic version though as the band sang it.  I think it turned out nice, and no one seemed to think it was strange to combine the dances.  Good luck ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_combining-fatherdaughter-motherson-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4b470b8f-062f-4b40-88f1-a01ceafe6183Post:06baafd8-2f35-4f21-ae2e-6f6c8c94c6d0">Re: Combining the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did them at the same time too...  The song we chose was "Wonderful World" - not the classic version though as the band sang it.  I think it turned out nice, and no one seemed to think it was strange to combine the dances.  Good luck ;)
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]
    We also combined them, and also to "Wonderful World." You have good taste!
  • I like this idea! and might steal it! :)
  • That's the song that I'd love to dance with my dad to...and I think we're going to combine the dances as well.

Originally I thought that maybe I would dance with my dad to "Daddy's Hands" as that was "our" song when I was growing up but I think, instead, I'll have it played later on in the night. I'll request it for him and we can dance then.

I just think it makes the "first dance" portion of the evening soooo long when there are separate dances for everyone.

I think combining the two is an excellent idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP  - We're doing the same thing - with the same song!  Except half way through, my step-father will hand me off to my mother (I wanted to dance with her too).  I have cleared this with FI and FMIL and they are both fine with it.
  • I think it's a great idea. Esp if your father and FMIL are not into showing off their dance moves. I know a freind's mother hates dancing but he was able to talk her into a shared mother/son father/daughter dance.
  • efujanefujan member
    First Comment
    FI and I have been planning to do this too!  We figured we'd use the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World and start with me & my dad, then add my FI and his mom.

Just a week ago at my cousin's wedding, they did a little swap-action that I totally want to copy (in some way or another) so all the parents get a little spotlight!  They did separate songs for Bride/FOB and Groom/MOG, but halfway through Groom/MOG dance, FOG grabbed MOB to dance for part of it, then pulled Bride/FOB back up, and they switched again to dance with their actual spouses. 

Nobody was crazy about being in the spotlight for a whole song either, so it worked well - and I thought was super cute!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are combining ours and Dancing and to You'll be in my heart from tarzan!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards