North Carolina
Options

Costing money to try on wedding gowns?!?!!

I am looking for my dress and was informed by a popular salon where I live in Charlotte that it cost try on gowns at their store. (Of course this money would be able to be applied to the gown if I purchased it there, but what if I did not buy from them?)
Being a newbie I have never heard of this before.  Is this standard?  Do Bridal salons in other cities do this?  :/

Re: Costing money to try on wedding gowns?!?!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of that before.  Albeit, I only went to David's Bridal, but my best friend is getting married this coming summer in NY (where she's from) and she didn't have any "trying on" costs either.  Sounds rediculous to me!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've only heard of it at that one place near Charlotte.  I'd probably shop around and research the brands they stock before I'd pay to try on a dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tried on a bunch of dresses at a salon in Cary and it cost $20 to try them on. I was surprised by it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is the reasoning for making a bride pay to try on dresses? That makes absolutely no sense. I would go somewhere else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_costing-money-try-wedding-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:a4f872a5-b955-4d07-94cd-48a55ef511b1Post:4096031c-f32d-4331-a4d1-a3b5c5059614">Re: Costing money to try on wedding gowns?!?!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the reasoning for making a bride pay to try on dresses? That makes absolutely no sense. I would go somewhere else.
    Posted by sgreen13[/QUOTE]

It could be to deter ladies from playing 'dress up' and 'wasting' the sales attendants time? But yeah, def shop around for other places.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    feel free to go to that salon but i'd recommend going to other salons in the area first.  I went to Dar-Lyns and Poffie Girls without paying a fee.  Also, NY Bride and Groom is a fabulous store and had I known about them at the time I would've gone there too.  I think you can even go a shop fee-free at Nitska's and their gowns start at $2K.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sounds like they must have a line of dresses that can also be bought online so the charge is in place to prevent them from merely being a place for people to try on and then go somewhere else and buy online.

i guess i can't blame them with all the recession issues.
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I would try else where. There aren't many places that charge a fee.

A popular place to go is Bridalmart in burlington. It's a little bit of a drive for you, but a lot of girls go there to try dress on and they do not charge a fee.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    one thing I didn't like about bridalmart was that there were no individual dressing rooms.  Everyone was out in the open (i mean at least those trying on).  But they do have a large selection.  There's also Bedazzled in Gastonia.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BecaRBecaR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all your advice!  Will def be checking out some of the salons everyone suggested Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I wouldn't do it because whose to say you will find "the" dress there?  If you don't you'll be out of that money...I wouldn't waste my time with salons like that!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I tried on dresses at the one store in Cary and it cost me $20. I only paid it because we had been to two other stores that day and hadn't tried on one dress!! The first two stores I had appointments at but the sales people were sooo rude and after waiting for an hour I gave up.

There just don't seem to be many dress shops in the Raleigh area at all?? Am I missing them?? The one nice thing about the $20 was that I didn't have to wait an hour get a fitting room (with appointment).

My sister got her dress at Dar-lynns in Charlotte, I got my bridesmaid dress there and I also tried on dresses there. I just LOVE them- they are so nice, attentive, make you feel so comfortable and they have a wonderful selection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards