Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Re: Flame Free Friday

• Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We recently received a wedding and couples shower invitation. Part of me really does not want to buy this couple a gift because they did not give us a gift at our wedding. Petty, I know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our invitations cost .61 cents to mail because they are .3 ounces too heavy for the .44.   I feel like I should put something else in there to get our moneys worth.  Ha.

The cool thing is I can get the cute wedding cake stamps that are .61 already so no extra funky stamps.

Yay.
  • Options
    TCUESW1999TCUESW1999 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have anything to flame.  I just want to say that I was intrigued by alot of you doing the 30 Shred so I decided to purchase the dvd.  Holy. Crap.  The muscles in my rear, my arms and back are sore!  And I just started yesterday! 
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Phone interviews are awkward.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Several of my daughter's friends showed up to her 16th birthday party without a gift.  Some brought snacks for the party, but no gift.   I am taking one of these girls to dinner and to Phantom of the Opera as her 16th birthday gift, and another has gone on vacation with us several times.  I would never let my daughter show up to a party without a gift, even if she didn't have the money.  I think it's just rude.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    -I enjoy the Puppy Bowl far more than the Super Bowl.

-What's with adding "@ when addressing someone on Facebook? If I comment on your status you don't need to respond with @Cheryl - I agree!" You can just say "Cheryl, I agree!"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cheryl, maybe they think we're twittering :)  LOL 

My parents are in town this weekend (unexpectedly) and I was talking to my dad earlier this morning on the phone and he told me that mom specifically said, "Don't make any plans!".  Why, mom?  You're gone for over a month.  You're only in town for a few days and yet you don't want to make plans to see FAMILY?  I mean, I know I'll probably see you tomorrow night for dinner...but wouldn't you want to spend as much time as possible with your family when you're in town because who knows the next time you'll see them?  When did my mom become so anti-social?  And why won't she get over her insecurities?  And why shouldn't my dad go and see Pappaw when he's here?  It's his step-father, whom he loves, and by God if he wants to go watch the Super Bowl with him on Sunday, I think that's fine.

Steve and I are doing a marriage bible study together and our first session was mostly about our parent's marriages and how that has shaped our view of marriage and what we want out of our own marriage.  We both cringed a lot the whole time (mostly me) because I'm determined NOT to have the same type of marriage as my parents.  The only thing I want to mimic from their marriage is the longevity part.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stephie - I completely agree that it is rude. I would never go to a shower without a gift. They did give us a card at the wedding, but I found it inside someone else's gift bag. Like I said, these feelings are very petty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Heather, sorry!  I was in no way comparing your situation to mine!  I was just in a hurry to get my flame in.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What a coincidence. I thought you were comparing. You should make that girl wear a blindfold at Phantom. Tell her she'll experience it better that way. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Stephie - Wow, that is rude. At least a card or something would have been nice.  I don't go anywhere without a gift of some kind.  Even if someone has us over for dinner or a football game I have food and/or wine in my hands.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many of my guests came to my wedding and didn't even bring so much as a card. Some of those guests are really good friends of mine too. Tacky! I definitely won't be very generous with them when they get married.
  • Options
    amberproamberpro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my BMs had the gift issue at her wedding.  Several of our mutual friends didn't bring so much as a card to the wedding.  I understand budgetary constraints, but I am absolutely certain that these same people have blown more than $20 on a night out.  I was raised that it was beyond rude to go to any hosted event without something in your hands. 
    photo images_zps41edd072.jpg

Carter born 5/28/11
    BFP 9/27/12 EDD 6/11/13, MC 9wks, no HB

• Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had several guests not bring us presents or cards to our wedding as well.  They were all our age so I'm wondering if that's part of it?  But still, you should know better than to show up empty-handed.  

About a month after our wedding, we went to the wedding of one of the empty-handed guests.  We got them a present and a card anyway (we also sent them a thank you before this, saying how much we enjoyed seeing them at our wedding).  About 2 months after their wedding they sent us a thank you note and they had enclosed a gift card.  I'm not sure if it's because they felt guilty or they had planned on getting us a gift card all along. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On a happier note, I am really glad there are some weddings coming up.  I still love weddings and I still love seeing and hearing about everyone else's.  I get to go to one in June in Las Vegas and I'm already excited about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say about only 1/4 of our guests brought/sent guests, which was nice in a way because we didn't have to buy a lot of TY cards and we were able to whip them all out in an hour!

You are not  Dr. Last Name until you finish your PhD.  Yeah, you've been working on it off and on for 10 years probably but you are not a Dr. yet.  If you are dissapointed and offended by not being considered a Dr., then maybe you should finish it and stop b!tching at me about it.  And I'm not the one that determines your working title.  Get over it or do something about it!!

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm flaming Mountain Dew.  I bought some throwback 12 packs the other day (4 to be exact) thinking they were just doing the throwback design, but no, the formula in these are completely different.  It's made with real sugar and it tastes like crap.  So now I have to finish the one 12 pack I already opened, and I need to exchange the other 3. 

I'm also flaming my pharmacy.  I get that the medication I take isn't common and that hardly anyone prescribes it anymore, but I still take it and I need it on Sunday.  I would appreciate it if you would have it in stock the next time I try to re-fill it, and not have to send me to another pharmacy to pick it up. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm flaming women my age on FB.  You're 38, not 24 like in your profile pic.  Also when you say things like "my bestie" and "my hunny" you look completely ridiculous.
  • Options
    JessAndColtonJessAndColton member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    When you are required to fill out a report about your house...don't forget to mention the water leaks in the roof.  HELLO it is quite obvious.  Now that we found it, please work on fixing it or lowering the price on your already overpriced house that we love.
    kthanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm turning 30 next Friday, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Steph, I think it does have to do with age for the most part.  My husband was 28 (he just turned 29) when we got married and not a single one of his friends brought a gift.  I on the other hand am 34, alot of my friends are married and are my age or older and they brought gifts.  The thing that bothered me the most was that I didn't think my husband would notice but he did and it upset him that they couldn't even send or bring a card.  So I told him to take some of the gift cards we got and go get what he wanted.  I definitely agree that we won't be as generous when they get married.   
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It still ticks me off that the IL's best friends came to our wedding and didn't bring a gift.  They'd known Bill since he was in kindergarten and both families have been friends for years.  The husband was even a reader and we got him a small gift for that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my coworkers and her family (mom, who also works here, and sister, and bf) were invited to my wedding. They brought the moms sister instead of the bf, and no gift or even a card. They were even invited to my work shower, came and got some cake and left.. no gift or card.

Now my coworker is getting married and asked me to be in the bridal party.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TCUESW, the only "excuse" I can come up with for them is that they are still young, so maybe they aren't used to going to social events like this without their parents, and they aren't accustomed to bringing a gift and just don't think about it.  None of the non-gifters at our wedding have ever been married, and I think that might be part of it as well. 

Julie, maybe him being a reader was your gift?  :)
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stephie,
    If that's true, then I want those golfballs back.  I could use the $50 we spent.

I also don't necessarily believe the "they're too young to know any better".  When my best friend got married, I was 19 and I knew to bring a gift.  Granted it was small because I threw her a shower. 

While I am very excited about SATC 2, I just heard that they were making a third.  It seems a little ridiculous now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Rhianna needs to put some clothes on. I'm tired of seeing her boobs everywhere.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_flame-friday-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:184517cd-df66-4ed2-bc4b-b3d6c602ec00Post:4367bdd5-7a39-45ea-8640-b1a2eaab3c03">Re: Flame Free Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also don't necessarily believe the "they're too young to know any better".  When my best friend got married, I was 19 and I knew to bring a gift.  Granted it was small because I threw her a shower. 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

I knew at 19 to bring a gift to a wedding, I'm not sure if the 19 year olds do now.
    I think a lot of young people do not have the same manners that most people do that are just a few years older than them.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    2 of my BRIDESMAIDS did not get us anything for our wedding. When I brought this to Brad's attention he was pretty hurt by it because those ladies are married to his best friends. We are in the 22-24 age group and I think this has a lot to do with it. But it really upset me because I am throwing one of them a baby shower and I'm doing my best to put my all in it. This is why people look down on those of my generation.
  • Options
    tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand the need to see movies on the first night/day they come out. I want to watch the Dear John movie, but I would much prefer to see it during the week or a couple weekends later when it is cheaper/less crowded. I don't really like sitting next to strangers in the movie theatres. But I agreed that I would go see the movie with my mom and so now I'm hoping the movie is good.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    True Julie.  Guess it is just common sense....or maybe how people are raised.  I have always known to bring a gift to wedding or party, even if it was something really small and that was because my grandmother and mom taught me to do. 

I am tired of people griping about the Vanity Fair cover.  Who freaking cares?! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards