Catholic Weddings

NWR - question about christening/godparents

Hello! I used to post on here some when we were getting married and thought you ladies might be able to offer some guidance now that we're having our first baby. DH is Catholic and I am not, and I'm starting to wonder about christening and godparents. What is the role of a non-Catholic parent in christening? Do you get left out in some way, or is it no big deal? Do godparents have to be Catholic? Any preferences on godparents being family vs. just friends?

The main thing I'm struggling with is that we each have one brother, and I think it would be really hard for one of them to be a godparent and one of them not - not that they'd make a big deal of it, it just seems weird to me to "pick" one uncle over the other. Of course, DH's brother is Catholic and mine isn't. I guess we could always make one a godparent for a future child, but then what if we never have another baby?

Thanks for any advice or helpful links you can offer!
imageimage

Re: NWR - question about christening/godparents

• edited December 2011
    I believe you will be equally involed.  You will respond to the questions the priest asks "do you reject Satan..." etc, and promise to raise the baby Catholic.  As for god parents, only one needs to be Catholic.  So you could pick your brother and a Catholic woman.  You can't have two god fathers or two god fathers, though.  I know it's hard to pick, but I'm sure they'll understand. 

• edited December 2011
    Resa said what I was going to say. Also, traditionally the best man and maid of honor are the first child's godparents, at least from what I've seen in my family. So, assuming your BIL was the best man, you could have him do it without singling your brother out by not choosing him, you know? I do think it's silly that you can't have two god fathers like that, but it is what it is. 
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-question-christeninggodparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d492c636-6036-42ec-9d90-efce8ebdb80dPost:31810ea4-b803-44fb-9a03-108f7028a7e8">Re: NWR - question about christening/godparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Resa said what I was going to say. <strong>Also, traditionally the best man and maid of honor are the first child's godparents,</strong> at least from what I've seen in my family. So, assuming your BIL was the best man, you could have him do it without singling your brother out by not choosing him, you know? I do think it's silly that you can't have two god fathers like that, but it is what it is. 
    Posted by Karen's MOH[/QUOTE]
    I've never heard of this... besides, the role of a godparent is so, so different from that of a marriage witness. Consider that the godparent should be a spiritual role model for your child, and also pray for your child. I'd pick someone who would fill that role well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards