Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help)

I really need help with this one. I've looked all over for cute traditions, and haven't found anything.
 My wedding's  theme  is antique, and it's going to be very traditional and I need sweet ideas that are close to impossible to find. Example: one wedding I went to the bride walked around her groom seven times to creat a ever lasting bond in there marriage. If you know of any traditions/rituals or a book containing anything helpful I would be extremely grateful! All ideas are good ideas! Thank you.

Re: Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help)

• Generally the "theme" is more geared to the reception than the ceremony.  I'm really not sure how one would incorporate "antique" into a wedding ceremony.  Have your ceremony.  Then have your antique reception.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited June 2010
    I guess I didn't ask that question right... I need ceremony traditions. Example: one wedding I went to the bride and groom took communion together. Rituals like that are what I'm really looking for. thank you for your advice though!
  • A bride circling the groom 7 times is a Jewish wedding tradition, not a Christian wedding tradition.

Can I ask if you googled "Christian Wedding traditions?"  Because I did.  And there were 107,000 sites listed.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Yes I did. but now that you tell me that it's a Jewish wedding  tradition I'm looking into other traditions. Kinda looking outside the box. Thank you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_christanprotestant-ceremony-traditions-rituals-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:02727a04-a833-4d5f-aa5e-6c1a4b3e66d6Post:32388c24-5799-482c-8312-8bb263022e88">Re: Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I did. but now that you tell me that it's a Jewish wedding  tradition I'm looking into other traditions. Kinda looking outside the box. Thank you.
    Posted by sarahbug88[/QUOTE]

You're not going to like this, but I think that co-opting other religious traditions because you think they're "cool" is just very wrong.  It would make no sense at all for you to have a chuppa at a Christian wedding because you like the way it looks.

It would be very wrong to use the Greek orthodox tradition of crowns because you think crowns would look pretty.

I would find it disrespectful for you to have your hand done in henna because you think it's interesting.

The traditions of a faith and/or culture are long held and meaningful to THAT faith and culture.  Using it as a cool or interesting feature in your wedding ceremony is, IMO, very disrespectful.
  • One tradition is to give single roses to the mothers as the come up to light the unity candle.  Another, Catholic tradition is prayers to the Virgin Mary.  A statue of Mary is placed off to the left, and the bride (generally alone, but sometimes with the groom) goes over to leave flowers and pray for  guidance.  Be aware this can mess up a long train/veil.  Be sure you and your MOH practice.  I've also hear of sand ceremonies, in which the couple each has one color of sand that they pour into one vase.  The sands cannot be seperated again, like the bride and groom.  A German tradition has the man kneel on an edge of the bride's dress to symbolize his dominance.  Upon standing, the bride corrects this assumption by stepping on his foot.  There's also jumping the broom, variously seen as African-American and Celtic.  And don't forget to start walking down the aisle with your right foot!  Hope that helps!
  • I don't know this for sure, but my cousin told me that you can go to David's Bridal and they have lists of these things there. I think the walking around the groom 7 times is a cute idea! I love all this traditional, rutualistic stuff!
    Best Wishes and Good Luck!!
    Beka Lou
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_christanprotestant-ceremony-traditions-rituals-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:02727a04-a833-4d5f-aa5e-6c1a4b3e66d6Post:b00cc351-1600-46b5-9b35-0cffe2108160">Re: Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help) : You're not going to like this, but I think that co-opting other religious traditions because you think they're "cool" is just very wrong.  It would make no sense at all for you to have a chuppa at a Christian wedding because you like the way it looks. It would be very wrong to use the Greek orthodox tradition of crowns because you think crowns would look pretty. I would find it disrespectful for you to have your hand done in henna because you think it's interesting. The traditions of a faith and/or culture are long held and meaningful to THAT faith and culture.  Using it as a cool or interesting feature in your wedding ceremony is, IMO, very disrespectful.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Trix is a wise wise woman.  You would do well to listen to her.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_christanprotestant-ceremony-traditions-rituals-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:02727a04-a833-4d5f-aa5e-6c1a4b3e66d6Post:744de6f4-ae63-4828-a707-501d149bf097">Re: Christan/Protestant ceremony traditions and rituals (please help)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know this for sure, but my cousin told me that you can go to David's Bridal and they have lists of these things there<em><strong>. I think the walking around the groom 7 times is a cute idea! </strong></em>I love all this traditional, rutualistic stuff! Best Wishes and Good Luck!!
    Posted by bekahjane89[/QUOTE]

See, this is exactly what I mean.  It's a "Cute Idea"?  A CUTE IDEA?  Really?  That's just awful.  If you read about this tradition, there's a deep seated Old Testament reason for it.  It's not done to be "CUTE". 

And that, in a nutshell is why one should no co-opt a sacred tradition because it'll look So Cool!!!!111!!!!!!!111!!!!! in the video.

ETA:  Yeah:  my advice above is clearly going to all on deaf ears.  This is the same person who gave us this little piece of clever advice:

<a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_im-bridezilla_.0" rel="nofollow">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_im-bridezilla_.0</a>
  • edited June 2010
    Receiving Communion isn't a cute tradition. It's a sacrament in my church. If you are being married by a minister, he/she will have guidelines for you to follow that conform to your church'es religious practices.

If you are having a civil ceremony, then I guess you can do whatever you like. But you should be careful that your guests don't think you are mocking their religious practices. I would be very offended if someone presented a fake Communion service.

• Honey, Just remember that this is YOUR wedding, not anyone else's, so if someone tells you they don't think you should cover you and your groom with a chuppah (which was misspelled above) but you want to, do it!!!
    Just research why the culture or religion practices such an act and incorporate the meaning of the act into your wedding.  Such as the chuppah, it is a symbol of the new home the bride and groom are creating together.

One really cute tradition I heard about that is not widely used is the passing of the wedding rings amongst the guests (if it is a small, intimate wedding) or amongst the first two rows in the ceremony.  The purpose of this tradition is for the two families and friends of the couple bless the rings with well-wishes as they are passed around, and you keep those blessings as long as you wear the ring.

If you like a tradition, feel free to use it, but understand and incorporate the meaning of the tradition into your ceremony, not just as an accessory :)

I hope you have a wonderful wedding full of love!!!  And remember, its all about you and your hubby that day, not anyone else, even the people on this site who like to tell you what to do in an extremely rude way:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards