Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

welcome dinner invitations

We're doing a smaller, less formal destination wedding of 80 ppl at the beach so we're inviting the entire guest list to a 'welcome dinner' the friday night before the wedding. FMIL has negotiated a reasonable price per head at a restaurant based on the premise that we'll have the dinner from 4:30/5pm until 7pm. The restaurant has made it clear that we are to be out of the space at 7pm in order to keep our costs at the low negotiated price. Is it odd to do a welcome dinner that early, and with that strict of a timeframe? Also, given the strict timeframe, is it necessary to indicate whether on a wedding website or on the welcome dinner invitation itself, that the event is from 5-7pm? Or should we just say welcome dinner at 5pm, and come 7pm that evening we wrap it up and head out? This whole thing is informal, but I don't want it to be bootleg and push people out of the doors while they're still eating. :)

Re: welcome dinner invitations

• Options
    I think putting a timeframe is fine, but I would consider starting at 4:30 instead of 5.  If you put 5, people will arrive at 5, mill around, find seats, etc and it might be 5:30 or 6 before food actually gets ordered and made back in the kitchen so then you're stretching it to eat and get out.  You'll want to start standing up and saying goodbyes by 6:45 at the latest to get everyone out by 7. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is there any way you can figure out people's menu options ahead of time so ordering won't take as long?
  • Options
    thanks for the responses! it's actually going to be buffet style so all the decision making will already be taken care of! I just didn't want to seem as if we were ushering people out the door to save a buck! So you think it's ok to put an end time on an invite (ex: Friday, April 31 4:30 to 7) without looking tacky?
  • Options
    It's completely fine to put that on there.  Not everything is tacky, and that definitely is not.  I think tacky is the most overused phrase on here. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards