Plus-Sized

advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses

I have been looking for the right bridesmaid dress for months. My bridesmaids are all plus sized girls and I want to find a dress that would flatter them. I was thinking empire waist and floor length, my wedding colors are midnight blue, cornflower blue and champagne. What do you guys think of my choices? Does anybody have suggestions on what kind of dresses is the best for plus sized girls? I need some more ideas!
http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-br197.html
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/alfred-angelo-bridesmaid-dresses-style-7139-p-79525.html?cPath=3&prHigh=150&prLow=100&zenid=a553d3c6e6cf5ec09d60f86a2b11a467
http://www.amazon.com/Strapless-Chiffon-Goddess-Formal-Bridesmaid/dp/B007GGC5I6/ref=sr_1_7?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1346136151&sr=1-7&keywords=long bridesmaid dress

Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses

• QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, you are never going to know until they try the dresses on.  I am plus size, but I cannot wear anything that has an empire waist. I'm too busty and the "empire" part of the waist cuts right across the bottom of my bust and looks horrible.  The only way around that for me would be to order a dress 3 sizes to big and take it in everywhere else.

"Plus size" girls can be shaped very different.  Are they tall?, short?  busty? flat chested? Hippy?  have a bootie?  Have a flat bootie?  Just because they are bigger than a non-plus size BM, doesn't mean the same dress will be flattering on all of them.

I encourage you to pick a color, length and designer (Alfred Angelo, Mori Lee or even Davids Bridal are good choices) and let each BM pick their own dresses that flatter them.  Your BMs don't all have to be in the same dress.  Allowing them to pick a dress that is flattering on them will make everyone more comfortable and your pictures will be gorgeous.

PS -  Inweddingdress is a chinese knockoff site.  If you do decide to order online, avoid the knockoff websites.  If you read the FAQ at the top of the attire & accessories board, it will give you some info on knockoffs.  They rarely work out the way people hope they will.

here is a picture of me and my two BMs.  I told them "any dress in Sangria from DB".  They both picked a dress that they loved and felt beautiful in.  I loved the way they complimented each other, but still kept their own style.  They are both borderline plus size (14/16/18ish, depending on the clothes) and I am a 16 street size. We are all shaped totally different.

• I agree some empire waists are not flattering.  if you have a larger bust it does not look right.   I like giving the girls option.  I am doing an Infinity Dress.  It can me worn in many different ways.  There is even an option of how you can wear it with fuller sleeves or a cap sleeve for the girls who may want to cover that area.  The pic look more like an empire waist for it is not it can be tied lower and looks great.  I am putting my bridesmaids in it for my wedding and I have chosen (as a plus size girl) to wear it for my Sister's wedding.

here is a link to a great website.

http://www.dessy.com/wrap-dress/#%22DisplayMode%22:3,%22CategoryId%22:-1,%22FabricList%22:%22%22,%22AccessoryFabricList%22:%22%22,%22ProductList%22:%22%22,%22SeasonList%22:%22%22,%22CategoryList%22:%2217%22,%22ColorList%22:%22%22,%22TypeList%22:%22%22,%22LineList%22:%22%22,%22PantoneList%22:%22%22,%22Text%22:%22%22,%22IgnorePrints%22:false,%22SearchText%22:%22%22,%22ColorFamilyList%22:%22%22,%22AttributeMask%22:%22%22,%22AttributeList%22:%22%22,%22PriceList%22:%22%22,%22Source%22:%22%22,%22GetResultCount%22:false,%22CountryCode%22:%22us%22,%22SortOrder%22:6,%22ActivePage%22:1,%22ResultsPerPage%22:9,%22TotalPages%22:0,%22FilterType%22:%22ProductFilterProperties%22

here is a pic of how I am thinking of wearing it. 

• Have you tried that infinity dress on yet?  The fabric on those aren't very forgiving and usually show every lump & bump.  there are also lots of horror stories about wardrobe malfunctions with them on the A&A page. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_advice-on-plus-sized-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:a32bb072-3856-4acf-9745-9cfb5bb596bfPost:15b4c66e-a398-4f35-a269-4184db7af619">Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you tried that infinity dress on yet?  The fabric on those aren't very forgiving and usually show every lump & bump.  there are also lots of horror stories about wardrobe malfunctions with them on the A&A page. 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Yes I have already bought mine.  to the contrary I have a matte jersy.  It looks great.  It is lose and flowing.  It looks great.  very forgiving.  Even for my sister's color which is watermelon.  the color itself is not ideal for a plus size girl.  I ordered mine from Etsy it has a under tube top for more cleavage coverage and it was only about $100.00.   Also you can wear a crinoline underneath to give the stirt more volume.  It is super comfortable.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_advice-on-plus-sized-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:a32bb072-3856-4acf-9745-9cfb5bb596bfPost:3336955c-5d18-4a41-81bc-dcd1e2b53219">Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses : Yes I have already bought mine.  to the contrary I have a matte jersy.  It looks great.  It is lose and flowing.  It looks great.  very forgiving.  Even for my sister's color which is watermelon.  the color itself is not ideal for a plus size girl.  I ordered mine from Etsy it has a under tube top for more cleavage coverage and it was only about $100.00.   Also you can wear a crinoline underneath to give the stirt more volume.  It is super comfortable.
    Posted by 11chicago11[/QUOTE]

Oh that's great !!  I'd love to see pictures if you have any.  I love the idea, but so far, I haven't seen any successful on anyone that isn't a size 2!
  • i would go to a store where you know they will have gowns that they all can afford the worst thing is going to a high end bridal shop and all the dresses are well over 200 bucks and they are on budgets alfred angelo and davids bridal are good for budget dresses. i would have each of them try on a few dresses and find one that would look good on everyone i dont really like the whole same color different dress. but you may like it be open that some of your bmades might feel uncomfortable with showing there upper arms so think of dresses that you can get a jacket for i know my bridal gown has to have a jacket or some type of sleeves 
  • My girls are wearing Mori Lee style 262. We had fittings yesterday, and they all looked great in it, and loved it, however, it only comes to a size 28, so it would depend if that would work for your girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_advice-on-plus-sized-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:a32bb072-3856-4acf-9745-9cfb5bb596bfPost:3ed282ac-3df5-4c7f-9da6-5117f20eba2e">Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: advice on plus sized bridesmaid dresses : Oh that's great !!  I'd love to see pictures if you have any.  I love the idea, but so far, I haven't seen any successful on anyone that isn't a size 2!
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I will try to take a pic.  Do not have any yet.  However if you go to Etsy and type plus size infinity there is a bunch of pics. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards