Mississippi

Where's your venue??

Hey y'all! Welcome to the Mississippi page. I'm the new Mod around here, so cut me some slack, I have *NO* clue what I'm doing. Since this board is kinda dead, and I've noticed one question keeps getting repeated, tell me about your venue!

Where is it?
What kind of atmosphere is it?

Of course, lets not make this all about YOU - have you ever been to a wedding anywhere that was cool that you'd want other brides to know about? People are always looking for places to hold a wedding or reception or BOTH - so tell me about some venues!

Re: Where's your venue??

• LDYGTR13LDYGTR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'll answer first.

We got married in Florence (just south of Jackson) at Castle Hill Pavilion. Ms. Betty was WONDERFUL and we were able to have our own catering, YAY! There's a little gazebo thing over some water and the banquet hall is gorgeous. I really loved it. I've also been to a wedding there and it is so versatile. My wedding was a 180 from what hers was - it can be dressed up or down. Great place! PM me if you need details, etc.

In Brandon - there's of course Luckett Lodge. I've heard it's kinda pricey and I know you can't have your own catering, but it's beautiful and really a great place for a party and there's even a little chapel. It's a fantastic location.

Canton - my best friend is getting married at the Jigget House - haven't been, don't know much about it, but she can't stop raving about how much she loves it and the coordinator/caterer/cake baker.

In Jackson - There's always the Fairview Inn. BEAUTIFUL old home with a great deck and gazebo and a beautiful area for a reception. Southern charm at it's best. I love it.

I know there are others - but these are venues where I've had personal experience.

TELL ME YOURS!
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I have to start off with admitting that I tend to completely forget this board is here... The few times I've checked it out, it's been totally dead. But since you're trying to liven it up, I'll have to start checking more!

Now to answer your question. My ceremony's going to be at my hometown church, but I'm not 100% sure where my reception venue will be. I'm leaning towards the Brookwood Country Club in Byram. I've checked it out and seen the pics they have posted on the website and I think it could be a gorgeous site. Plus it's in my FI's hometown, which is a big plus for me.  I've also checked out the "castle" in Raymond, they just recently did a total renovation and that place is AMAZING. My aunt actually has inside connections with the owner, and she's said she's throwing us an E-party there. *fingers crossed*

I also had my cousin/best friend just get married at Castle Hill Pavilion, and I have to agree with you that it is a wonderful venue! She loved her whole experience there, and it looked stunning. If I wasn't dead-set on having a Catholic wedding, I'd probably be looking into that.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Mel!!

I forgot that this board existed for quite some time too. Thats why I asked KA if I could be Mod - I know I had issues getting help when I was getting married and I want to help the other MS girls!

The Castle in Raymond and Brookwood are great ideas!
  • esabin2000esabin2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My ceremony will be at my hometown church and my reception will be at the Hattiesburg Cultural Center (Old Hattiesburg Library).  I visited the library when I was growing up in Hattiesburg and am thrilled that they have restored the space for events now.  The gallery upstairs and the elevator make it even better.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreen, esabin! I've had friends who had gallery exhibits there - VERY cool venue! Any others in the Hattiesburg area you checked out?
  • edited December 2011
    I'll  be in law school in Jackson, MS but I am having my wedding in Natchez,MS at Stanton Hall! I have heard mixed reviews about the house managment but I have heard nothing but great things about the on site resturant-and all of my dealings with Chef Bingo have been AMAZING!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    LDYGTR13,

I did! Quite a few actually! No one can compete with the value you can get at Stanton- though house managment is a little intimidating, I have been reassured that the day off is much more lax! Plus Chef Bingo and his wife Mary are the most helpful! Though it doesnt have the space of the Dunlieth or Brandon Hall- it has everything you need including a FULLY AIR CONDITION RECEPTION!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We're having it on our property. We live on 3.5 acres out in the country, and we actually had our first date here fishing in the pond out back, so to us it just makes the most sense to have it here.

I have no suggestions for venues since the only wedding I've ever attended I was too young to really remember (vague memory of attending *a* wedding but couldn't tell you anything else), and the place I used to work that did weddings/receptions no longer does them or other events (Gibson Guitar Factory in Memphis).
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw this in another thread - some good options for North MS girls!

I realize you posted this awhile back but I am going to go ahead and answer!

Have you checked into Snowden House? It is right off of Getwell in Snowden Grove Park in Southaven. I coordinated a lovely wedding there last May. It has lots of charm and they are very lenient with catering (the bride self-catered her wedding there). She had her ceremony outside and dancing/food inside. I believe the fee is something like $675? Check it out, if you haven't already.

You may also want to check out the Thistledome Inn in Byhalia. I have never personally been there, but my FMIL says it is nice. I do not know any of their policies, but they do have a website. I don't have it on hand but just Google the name and it comes up.

Cedar Hill Farm in Hernando is nice, but if I remember correctly they do not allow outside catering. They do have indoor/outdoor options.

Hope this helps! If you need anything else feel free to ask! I don't think there are many N. MS brides on here.
  • edited December 2011
    hey ladies! i will be getting married at a church here in clinton and then having the reception on Mississippi College's campus on the Quad. it is a BEAUTIFUL "garden"  type, grassy area with lots of trees and open area for tables, dance floor, etc. since money is so tight, we really didn't look into any other venue except for the house at mynelle gardens. i really loved that venue, but it was more expensive, and i would have to rent both outside AND inside to accomodate the guest list. i believe the mynelle house holds something like 80 guests. i wish my guest list was that small, phew! haha.
  • Dgw0385Dgw0385 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am getting married at the Carrier Chapel on the MUW campus in Columbus, Ms. And my reception will be at the Columbus Country Club

• fuzzisfuzzis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at my FI's parent's house. We're in the Hattiesburg area, and with as many people as are going to be coming, we needed a place that could handle 150-200 guests.

A friend of mine does wedding videos and he recommends Landrum's (Laurel), Big Creek Lodge, the Cultural Center, and to a lesser extent Southern Oaks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I grew up not far from Landrum's and I know that they had some BEAUTIFUL weddings there.

BUT

My FI and I both live in Brandon and we are getting Married at Luckett Lodge. (It's only about 5 miles from his house so it is very convenient.) Luckett Lodge really isn't that pricey but the catering that you have to use is pretty expensive. After a tasting in their office, I think it's worth it. The only other place that we even considered was Providence Hill Stables. It was absolutely gorgeous, but it is closer to Madison (I think) and we wanted to keep it a little closer to home!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Luckett Lodge is great! You can ignore my post in the Planning post ;) I've been to weddings there and seen some great pictures. I'm sure it'll be great!

Congrats Chouna!
  • wow this thread needs some love! Im newly engaged and am in over my head even trying to figure out when and where to get married! We are looking at Dunlieth and Monmouth in Natchez, Luckett Lodge and Fairview in Jackson area, and a few places in New Orleans. I looked at the Providence Stables place that someone recommended above but it is out towards Yazoo City.. not towards Madison. I cant believe there arent threads on here (or at least none I can find) about Monmouth or Dunlieth. Im really curious as to people's thoughts on those venues..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards