Pre-wedding Parties

Stag and Drag Party

I'm thinking of having a Stag and Drag Party. I'm looking at giving it a 1920's Speakeasy Theme. It will be in the winter months and I'm trying to come up with some inventive games that are easy money makers. Any ideas?
BTW... I've already read some posts on other sites. If you are going to say it's tacky and not to have one... please don't. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm not interested.
Thanks!!!

Re: Stag and Drag Party

• DH and I found that a great way to make money was to work.  We didn't want to be a charity that required funding.

BTW, you can say that you're not interested in certain responses but you can't tell people how to post.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_stag-drag-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fe3beb9f-5a4d-44e8-bfe2-3788e915fdcdPost:0db5fe40-66e7-4b20-a261-7d7f9371d391">Stag and Drag Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking of having a Stag and Drag Party. I'm looking at giving it a 1920's Speakeasy Theme. It will be in the winter months and I'm trying to come up with some inventive games that are easy money makers. Any ideas? BTW... I've already read some posts on other sites. If you are going to say it's tacky and not to have one... please don't. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm not interested. Thanks!!!
    Posted by KLPWalker[/QUOTE]
    A really easy money making game is to stand outside of a bar (to keep with your speakeasy theme) with a coffee cup and a sign that says, "Please Help Fund Our Wedding!"
    Three out of four bums recommend this method.

If it's too cold for that, because it's in the winter months, you could try selling things, like the Girls Scouts do. Except, to keep with your speakeasy theme, you can sell alcohol to people who attend. Invite people over  and charge them for drinks.
    4 out of 5 college frat guys recommend this fundraising idea.

If that's too much work, you can try this site:
    <a href="http://www.gofundme.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.gofundme.com/</a>
    All super klassy brides recommend this approach!

Good luck!
  • edited January 2012

Kinda like a keg party theme? I remember going to those in college, you pay like 5 bucks to get in. You could always try that, they were a bit hit back then.

You already knew it was tacky so why would you ask the same girls for a different opinion?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • You could have a tag sale. Collect soda bottles and return them for the deposits. Babysit. Shovel snow. Mow lawns.

And don't say you don't like my ideas. I don't want to hear it.

• Make a cardboard sign and sit on a street corner. Bonus change if one of you plays a musical instrument. 

And I'm only responding because you told me not to.  ;)

• I think it would be a lot less trouble to just send letters to your friends and family asking for contributions.  You can make it easier for them by including deposit slips with the letters so that they can just directly deposit money into your account next time they're at the bank.
  • You're going to throw your own fundraiser?  Klassy.
  • You charge people $5 per item of clothing they are wearing as an entrance fee. So they pay for wearing clothes or you get to see them naked, either way it's a win win...

OR you have an event where you can host everyone without having your guests pay for themselves.
  • I had never even heard of a Stag and Drag party, but reading all these posts leads me to the conclusion that you're going to throw a party where you collect money from your guests to fund your wedding. Oh hell no.

If you can't afford to pay for your wedding, don't have one. Or cut back on stuff so that you can afford it. Don't make people pay for you to get married. Rude. So rude.

If I got invited to one of these (now that I even know what they are) I wouldn't even go. And then I would seriously debate going to the wedding, knowing that it was paid for by the guests. If my hosts can't pay for their own stuff, why do I want to go? They obviously just want people there to cater to them and make money off them, they don't want them there to have a good time and celebrate their new life together. UGH.

RUDE. Did I mention that?
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • MBDD13MBDD13 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    These are popular where I'm from.  Except they're mostly called Jack & Jills.  And Grooms often have a "Stag". 

If you're doing a 20's speakeasy theme.  Try a palm reader.  Poker table.  Maybe Craps table too.

Good luck.  My wedding party's planning one for us.  Lots of raffle prizes.

Finally, I hope you ignored most of the comments above.  Apparently the idea "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." means nothing here.  And we wonder why children are bullying each other, they're learning from the adults around them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_stag-drag-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fe3beb9f-5a4d-44e8-bfe2-3788e915fdcdPost:222dabf7-cf81-4645-a3bc-b6aea7f68d72">Re: Stag and Drag Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]These are popular where I'm from.  Except they're mostly called Jack & Jills.  And Grooms often have a "Stag".  If you're doing a 20's speakeasy theme.  Try a palm reader.  Poker table.  Maybe Craps table too. Good luck.  My wedding party's planning one for us.  Lots of raffle prizes. Finally, I hope you ignored most of the comments above.  Apparently the idea "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." means nothing here.  <strong>And we wonder why children are bullying each other, they're learning from the adults around them.</strong>
    Posted by MBDD13[/QUOTE]

Oh for pete's sake.  We also why children run wild and have no sense of boundaries.  It's because they were raised to never hear the word no.

The responses the OP received are not rude.  Your response is also not appropriate...so there's that.
  • These are very popular where I live, and mostly happen around long weekends from spring to fall.  It seems to be the best time of year to have them.
    The one we did for a friend of mine included selling tickets to those old enough to drink at the front door to get in.  There was a DJ so everyone could dance, and it was open to the public.  Kind of a way for the whole town to celebrate your upcoming wedding, although in a small town like where I'm from it's really just an excuse to go dancing and drinking even if you don't know the people.
    I know the DJ for our wedding had some fun ideas for games.  You might want to ask them if they know of any.  At my friends we did bike races.  We had four tricycles and people (adults) rode on them....people bet on the one they wanted to win and the winning amount wen to bride and groom.  Keep in mind for these things you have to pay the cost of the hall, DJ or band and the bar tab first before the remaining money can go to the couple to be.
  • Apparently stag and drag parties are just a local thing. I am also from western PA and currently helping to plan one for a friend of mine. One neat game i just came acrossis Crazy Joker Card game. A deck of cards is placed individually face down on posterboard. you sell each card and the buyer writes their name of it. once all cards are sold the person on the joker wins the prize. The cost per card can range from $1 to $5 and prize $20 to $100. Its a cheap, easy, fun game.
  • A stag and drag is a great way to earn some extra wedding funds and have a blast with your friends and complete strangers. For those of you who think it is tacky or rude have no idea what they are talking about and obviously have never been to a stag and drag. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_stag-drag-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fe3beb9f-5a4d-44e8-bfe2-3788e915fdcdPost:82e8706e-683c-4f6f-847b-b03b67758f49">Re: Stag and Drag Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had never even heard of a Stag and Drag party, but reading all these posts leads me to the conclusion that you're going to throw a party where you collect money from your guests to fund your wedding. Oh hell no. If you can't afford to pay for your wedding, don't have one. Or cut back on stuff so that you can afford it. Don't make people pay for you to get married. Rude. So rude. If I got invited to one of these (now that I even know what they are) I wouldn't even go. And then I would seriously debate going to the wedding, knowing that it was paid for by the guests. If my hosts can't pay for their own stuff, why do I want to go? They obviously just want people there to cater to them and make money off them, they don't want them there to have a good time and celebrate their new life together. UGH. RUDE. Did I mention that?
    Posted by andreamarie77[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>this is obsured, you people that dont agree with it have no idea what your talkiong about. Guests are not paying for the wedding idiots. You sell tickets to anyone and everyone (not wedding guests) around town at places like bars and restrauraunts and work.  Complete strangers purchase a ticket for 5 or 10 dollars to attend a giant party where boos, food, and games are provided.  Some games such as a chinese auction, quarters, raffles, ec. can help earn some extra funds to put towards wedding expenses when all is said and done. It is more of an advertisement that your are getting married and want to celebrate with everyone, not just wedding guests.  Get your facts straight before sounding like a complete asshole.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards