Maine

Mainely Hair? (or keratin complex?)

Kind of a long shot, but has anyone been to or heard anything about Mainely Hair in Freeport?  I have really curly hair, and I was thinking about going there and getting a keratin complex treatment.  I want to wear my hair curly and mostly down for my July wedding, and I feel like some kind of treatment might be the only way to keep it under control at that time of year.  Any opinions about the salon or the treatment idea?

Re: Mainely Hair? (or keratin complex?)

• edited December 2011
    I have very curly thick hair and got a Keratin express over the summer to help with frizz.. I loved it! It did loosen my curl up a bit but it was much easier to manage. I am planning on doing it again for my october wedding.  Oh and the Keratin express is like a demi, it washes out in a few washes but was also much cheaper. I think it was $80.
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really want a Keratin!!  I have hesitated because of the vast price differences between salons.  Some charging like $350 and others charging $180.  Makes me feel like there's a lot of price gauging going on! I definitley plan on doing one before the wedding. (August)  I'd love to actually do one now, then another mid-summer as it starts to wear off.

I live in Freeport but haven't heard about Mainely hair, but I'm not much of a salon-goer.  I go like once a year. 
  • edited December 2011
    I called Mainely Hair, and the lady that picked up said she would not come in on Sunday to do wedding hair, but maybe the other stylist would (who's on vacation).  They do the keratin, though, if you're interested amshaw.  I agree with you that the price variation is kind of weird, and I also worry about nondisclosure of full ingredient lists with the various products.  My new strategy may be to get an Aveda perm with the curl pattern larger than my natural curl pattern, which I've had before, and that can cut down on the frizz a little bit.  
  • jill1015jill1015 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, great idea getting the Keratin Complex! I'm a stylist in the Bangor area, and we offer Keratin Complex Express (Blowout) as well as the Keratin Complex.  Both products are AMAZING, but you NEED to take care of it.  The Keratin Express is great for people that are looking for a quick fix to frizz, unwanted curl and breakage.  I've found that the Keratin express lasts my clients about 6 weeks.  Keep in mind that in doing the Keratin express we're using a product that contains less natural keratin than the product we use in doing the Keratin complex.  here are some pictues that may help you make up your mind in getting one!

• britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both ideas will work. I have a co-worker at my salon with curly hair, a really tight curl, and we've done both on her. The perm will relax your curl but doesn't do much for frizz, sometImes it can actually do a little damage and create more. This all depends on your hair though! Since you mentioned an aveda perm I think you know this..but make sure it's a gentle perm! I was really impressed with the keratin, her hair still has it's curl but its relaxed and SO soft! They offer us so many different brands of the treatment systems now, some are inexpensive and some are extremely expensive. The price of the service somewhat reflects on what they're using, so I'd definitely say go for the middle of the road price. They won't be using the cheapest product out there, but it won't be something that's way overpriced either. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for those perspectives!  

Britthall--do you mean that an aveda perm is a gentle perm?  I don't know that much about perms, and I couldn't tell from your post if that's what you meant.  
  • britthall06britthall06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aveda's a great line, and if they choose the right perm for your hair it could be a lot less damaging! But I still love the keratin treatments :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards