Getting in Shape

17 day diet; day 1

I have my dress fitting in 18 days, so as it's a Monday I thought it was the perfect day to start the 17 day diet! I've had amazing results with this diet before, but now it's crunch time!!!

Day 1 is almost over and I'm doing ok. Any one else have motivating words to say about this diet?

Re: 17 day diet; day 1

• Nope, I have nothing motivating to say about this diet because I don't think it's a good idea.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Ditto J&K.  Fad diets don't work, and this diet is definitely one of them.  Track your calories, eat healthy, exercise.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited July 2012
    Desprate times call for desprate measures girls! if you dont have anything nice to say....

Good Luck cgelabert, im googling that right now!
  • Nothing encouraging, from what I've seen its not healthy and you will gain back all of the weight immediately after you come off the diet. So, doing this for a fitting wont help because between the fitting and the wedding unless you continue to starve yourself you will gain each pound back.

There is no such thing as a magic diet, just eat healthy and work out and you will be fine. A crash diet before the wedding can cause more trouble than its worth.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:018f9b88-c02e-47f2-a2d7-3400b9034a82">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]Desprate times call for desprate measures girls! if you dont have anything nice to say.... Good Luck cgelabert , im googling that right now!
    Posted by katiebo1013[/QUOTE]

You should never take unhealthy "desprate" measures with your body and health. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • What is the 17 day diet? Something you've just come up with or something you can share??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:b245d119-629b-4071-bf03-15ebd5524ef8">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 17 day diet; day 1 : You should never take unhealthy "desprate" measures with your body and health. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. No unhealthy diet is ever worth it. Unless you just found out about your fitting and your wedding, I would just accept the size you are and be comfortable in your skin. You have time to eat right and work out, but I wouldn't do anything drastic. Its just not worth it.
  • This diet is unhealthy. I did it once last year (before I knew what to really do to be healthy and lose weight) and I lasted 10 days because it was so restrictive. I felt so weak because you can barely eat anything unless of course you like eating yogurt and drinking green tea 5 times a day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:018f9b88-c02e-47f2-a2d7-3400b9034a82">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]Desprate times call for desprate measures girls! <strong>if you dont have anything nice to say....</strong> Good Luck cgelabert , im googling that right now!

<div>This is ridiculous. We're being "not nice" by telling someone that a potentially dangerous fad diet might not be a good idea? Being supportive sometimes means sometimes trying to stop someone from doing something stupid.</div>
  • Fad diets don't work.  Period.  My MIL is always on some fad diet and quits about a week in because they are usually so restrictive.  I told her the other day when she said she wanted to start the 17 Day Diet, that if she just ate healthy (stop with all the processed, pre-packaged crap that she buys) and worked out that she would see results...needless to say I may as well have been talking to the sand (we were at the beach) for all the good it did.

• edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:018f9b88-c02e-47f2-a2d7-3400b9034a82">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]Desprate times call for desprate measures girls! if you dont have anything nice to say.... Good Luck cgelabert , im googling that right now!

<div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry, but we're not in kindergarten anymore. </div><div>If I don't have anything nice to say... Well eff it I'm saying it anyway because it's the freakin' internet and she knew she was talking to strangers with all sorts of opinions when posting this. </div><div>
    </div><div>this is bad news. Bad bad bad. </div><div>Good luck when you gain all the weight back on and then struggle to get that off because you DESTROYED your metabolism. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I know that sounds harsh, OP, but there is a reason they are "fad" diets and not "the only way to live" diets. Try Clean Eating. That's the best live style change someone could make for themselves to lose weight healthfully, and keep it off for a lifetime. </div><div>
    </div><div>What's your work out routine like? </div>
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:018f9b88-c02e-47f2-a2d7-3400b9034a82">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    Posted by katiebo1013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, see, the thing is that I've been there done that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.  For me, those "desperate measures" resulted in an eating disorder and a metabolism that is permanently screwed up beyond measure.  I will never, ever encourage someone to follow a diet.  Make a lifestyle change.  PP have given some great recommendations above regarding clean eating, tracking calories, and establishing a good workout routine.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:9ad3b2a6-3ac8-4580-bc6c-2a4f6ab23738">17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have my dress fitting in 18 days, so as it's a Monday I thought it was the perfect day to start the 17 day diet! I've had amazing results with this diet before, but now it's crunch time!!! Day 1 is almost over and I'm doing ok. Any one else have motivating words to say about this diet?
    Posted by cgelabert[/QUOTE]

<div>Here's the thing you're missing: It obviously isn't a great idea because if it was, you wouldn't have to try and do it again. To be successful and keep weight off, you need a lifestyle change, not a fad crappy diet.</div>
    imageimageimage
  • I'm doing a "diet" wherein I am eating organic fruits and veggies and lean meats. I'm working out more, drink water, and take vitamins that my nutritionist tells me to. I've cut out coffee, soda, sugar, excessive carbs. It's the beginning of a lifestyle change. After the month period I may stop being so strict, and have a muffin if I want one... but I'm telling you, I've lost more weight doing this than I have doing any other fad diet I've ever done. And I am not hurting my body. If I'm hungry, I eat. Just instead of reaching for a pop-tart, I reach for baby carrots or a banana.
  • Wow!! Glad I only rarely look back at this! Thanks for all the advice ladies :)
  • AGREED!! And it's not unhealthy. You add the carbs back later. Good luck on your big day.

• I did a form of the 17 day diet (skipping the first cycle - my body doesn't respond well to completely cutting out carbs) for well over a year and had AMAZING results.  In general, all the tips in it are very healthy - and it really teaches you a smart way to look at food.  I have been off the diet for about a year now and have gained a bit of the weight back, simply because i haven't been focusing on healthy eating as much as i should - but I definitely feel that the diet was not a "fad" diet and it gave me a smarter outlook on food in general.  Now that I'm engaged (YAY!!!!) I will be getting back on the diet, and expect the same amazing results as last time.

Good luck and I know you will see some great results!!!!!  Focus on drinking lots of water (I cheat and do green tea also), fresh veggies, a bit of fruit, fish, chicken, and if you need carbs just use brown or wild rice.  Skip any condiments/dressings/sugars/salts/sodas/etc... and you will see some quick results!
  • CONGRATS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!
    It really is a great diet, if you use it right--and eat enough!

Good luck to you too when you get going! I It's day 4 and I feel good--plus the 4 lb weightloss isn't a bad motivator!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:341c45aa-0b39-40bf-944f-02c5043e4de8">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did a form of the 17 day diet (skipping the first cycle - my body doesn't respond well to completely cutting out carbs) for well over a year and had AMAZING results.  In general, all the tips in it are very healthy - and it really teaches you a smart way to look at food.  I have been off the diet for about a year now and have gained a bit of the weight back, simply because i haven't been focusing on healthy eating as much as i should - but I definitely feel that the diet was not a "fad" diet and it gave me a smarter outlook on food in general.  Now that I'm engaged (YAY!!!!) I will be getting back on the diet, and expect the same amazing results as last time. Good luck and I know you will see some great results!!!!!  Focus on drinking lots of water (I cheat and do green tea also), fresh veggies, a bit of fruit, fish, chicken, and if you need carbs just use brown or wild rice.  Skip any condiments/dressings/sugars/salts/sodas/etc... and you will see some quick results!
    Posted by fraumickey[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_17-day-diet-day-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:55503719-ba29-4980-81a9-15a8c9dd0bdbPost:29b098f0-0817-4cff-b076-6d582f7d920d">Re: 17 day diet; day 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]CONGRATS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! It really is a great diet, if you use it right--and eat enough! Good luck to you too when you get going! I It's day 4 and I feel good--plus the 4 lb weightloss isn't a bad motivator! In Response to Re: 17 day diet; day 1 :
    Posted by cgelabert[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because losing a pound a day is super healthy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards